Moments in AVP:R That Made You Cringe/Laugh

Started by The Runner, Apr 06, 2019, 07:47:42 PM

Author
Moments in AVP:R That Made You Cringe/Laugh (Read 43,694 times)

Kradan

Kradan

You know, AVPR is that kind of the movie that gets a pass from me in terms of logic. It has bigger problems

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 17, 2021, 07:50:11 PM
When Dallas and Eddie drive to the school to see the alien Ricky told them attacked him. They didn't bring backup, Dallas doesn't even have a gun and the kids are in the back of the police van. :laugh:

Dallas wouldn't have a gun. He was an ex-con fresh out of jail. And Ricky didn't know what attacked them at this point.

QuoteOnce they see blood all over the place, they get in the police van and Eddie tries to call dispatch, and the radio stops working, and then later the cell phones stop working. Originally, I thought this was just a contrivance to keep the characters isolated but it turns out the military was jamming all communication frequencies in Gunnison. At this point in the movie the only people who have seen an alien are Ricky, Jesse, Dale, Kelly and Molly. Ricky tells Dallas and Eddie and all they do is go to the school, Kelly and Molly just run until they meet the others at the gun store. So how the hell does the military know ANYTHING about what's going on in Gunnison before the characters in Gunnison even know?

Before that, Sheriff Morales tells dispatch to call County and State once there is an explosion at the nuclear plant. Then, right before Morales and Dallas enter the school, the Sheriff tells dispatch to call in the National Guard. You have to look at it like there's much more going on in the background then what's just happening to these core characters. A typical town invaded by monsters flick.

QuoteAnd this all BEFORE the national guard shows up. Colonel Stevens looks at a monitor that shows O.W.L.F contamination levels, implying he knows exactly what the aliens are and how they work but then he looks at an image of an Alien on his monitor and asks "What the f**k are you?" Every fiber of this movie doesn't make any sense.

Maybe he just knows so far what's been reported in by his troops and town officials and hospital officials, etc. but is personally actually seeing an Alien Xenomorph for the first time on that monitor. Because I think at this point, all OWLF has been really familiar with is Predators.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 18, 2021, 02:30:07 PM
When Dallas and Eddie drive to the school to see the alien Ricky told them attacked him. They didn't bring backup, Dallas doesn't even have a gun and the kids are in the back of the police van. :laugh:

Dallas wouldn't have a gun. He was an ex-con fresh out of jail. And Ricky didn't know what attacked them at this point.

I doubt his old friend, Eddie, would care about that. If he didn't bring backup he could have at least given Dallas the shotgun that's always sitting in his van. Especially since he was dumb enough to bring the kids back to the potential crime scene. Ricky not knowing what attacked him doesn't change the fact that he was attacked and therefore could be attacked again by whatever was at the school, so why bring Ricky and friends back to the school?

QuoteBefore that, Sheriff Morales tells dispatch to call County and State once there is an explosion at the nuclear plant. Then, right before Morales and Dallas enter the school, the Sheriff tells dispatch to call in the National Guard. You have to look at it like there's much more going on in the background then what's just happening to these core characters. A typical town invaded by monsters flick.

Typical town invasion movies usually have a scene that gets the military's attention. Phantoms had a whole town's population disappear before the military took notice. Morales called in the national guard because of a blackout. and the military is automatically like:

If they had at least shown satellite images of the crashed ship on Colonel Steven's monitors, I wouldn't have cared. But that's asking too much from this movie.

QuoteMaybe he just knows so far what's been reported in by his troops and town officials and hospital officials, etc. but is personally actually seeing an Alien Xenomorph for the first time on that monitor. Because I think at this point, all OWLF has been really familiar with is Predators.

There were no troops other than the national guard and they didn't know anything and got killed in 30 seconds. I don't see how he can get any information from town's folk after he jammed all communications in Gunnison so early on. He knew what was going to happen before the shit even really hit the fan. Which brings me to my next point, nobody in this movie can conclude that the Aliens are extra terrestrials. Wolf erased all evidence of the crashed ship. So why is O.W.L.F even involved and how can they predict the Aliens' rate of infestation so accurately? Answer: there is no answer. The movie just really needed to drop that nuke at the end of the film.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 19, 2021, 03:17:17 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 18, 2021, 02:30:07 PM

I doubt his old friend, Eddie, would care about that. If he didn't bring backup he could have at least given Dallas the shotgun that's always sitting in his van.

Eventually due to the realization of the monster madness around him, Morales doesn't care about the rules of the law. But he doesn't realize there are monsters at that point.

QuoteEspecially since he was dumb enough to bring the kids back to the potential crime scene. Ricky not knowing what attacked him doesn't change the fact that he was attacked and therefore could be attacked again by whatever was at the school, so why bring Ricky and friends back to the school?

It was mayhem going on around them. Police. Fire trucks. Yelling. Morales just said the town has to be evacuated right before Ricky runs up. They can't send Ricky and his friends home.  They can't send Ricky and his friends to the police station. The town is being evacuated. Take them with you,  leave them in the back, and see what the deal is with the kids at the school on your way out. I even think there's real-life precedent for that.

QuoteBefore that, Sheriff Morales tells dispatch to call County and State once there is an explosion at the nuclear plant. Then, right before Morales and Dallas enter the school, the Sheriff tells dispatch to call in the National Guard. You have to look at it like there's much more going on in the background then what's just happening to these core characters. A typical town invaded by monsters flick.

Typical town invasion movies usually have a scene that gets the military's attention.

But they often don't. If it's The Mist, or Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds, these type of movies often just centralized around a few key characters and you learn bits as they do.

QuoteIf they had at least shown satellite images of the crashed ship on Colonel Steven's monitors, I wouldn't have cared. But that's asking too much from this movie.

I assume the Government/OWLF saw the ship come in when it crashed, via military satellite and radar technology. Personally I didn't need that shown to me.

I don't know. Like it or hate it, it's a big dumb B monster invasion movie and this is getting more logic scrutiny than it calls for in my humble opinion. AvPR is not presenting itself as intellectual high science fiction asking the big questions, films that we start questioning things like why are not people wearing helmets. To me it's just midnight movie popcorn fair.  :)

Kradan

Right after that poor woman's stomach explodes with bellybursters and Chet is about to headbite doctor, I like to imagine her saying in proud mommy's voice: "These are mine. Do you like them ?"

Jigsaw85

The pizza shop scene. I remember sitting in the theater thinking, "Yup, this is it. This is how far these movies have sunk." We're watching a pizza boy arguing with his manager about wearing a hat during work.

The pool scene where the alien attacks the teenagers and instead of them running to the door where they all came from, with a running car waiting for them, they run deeper into the school. God I hate this movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 14, 2021, 11:05:32 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 14, 2021, 10:57:30 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 14, 2021, 09:56:58 PM
Whenever they shamelessly reused sound effects from previous movies. Like giving Wolf the Newborn's roar.

Wait what ? In what scene ?  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZP0CJjj7No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_5kNPCHDc

At 1:31
hot damn dude, thank you for this -- never noticed it before!

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 12, 2021, 08:08:28 PM
The part where Jesse breaks character, becomes a coward and runs away from the group. Running through the hospital, with no clue where she's going, where any number of aliens could be just around the corner, and gets pinned by wolf's shuriken. A text book example of contrived writing.

Hey, that little love story between her and Ricky really paid off in the end, didn't it?

Yeah and its all just to show how "cool" and overpowered the Shuriken is.

If they'd had her grabbed by one of the Aliens and pulled into the Hive. It would have made more sense.....but this is AVPR

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 23, 2021, 02:10:24 AM
The pizza shop scene. I remember sitting in the theater thinking, "Yup, this is it. This is how far these movies have sunk." We're watching a pizza boy arguing with his manager about wearing a hat during work.

The pool scene where the alien attacks the teenagers and instead of them running to the door where they all came from, with a running car waiting for them, they run deeper into the school. God I hate this movie.

I totally agree. Poor characterization for Ricky, supposed to show his problems with authority I guess, because he's young and troubled etc... Poor lad.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 23, 2021, 12:53:49 PM

I totally agree. Poor characterization for Ricky, supposed to show his problems with authority I guess, because he's young and troubled etc... Poor lad.

The last thing one would expect to see in an Alien / Predator movie, for sure  :laugh:

SM

Of all the issues with AvP:R - a short scene to establish a character isn't really one of them.

BlueMarsalis79

"Isn't Halloween in October?"

"Ten, ten, 2004."

Immortan Jonesy

If only they had used the sewer Aliens....

Huggs

It was ahead of its time. Now everybody argues with the manager about wearing something. *cough*

Voodoo Magic

Precisely. It's groundbreaking I say.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed