Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 77,334 times)

SM

SM

Not if you're paying attention.

The science team had been stationed at the colony for a few years, but not anywhere near 20 years.  After the colony had been there a while, someone at the Company had worked out that the Nostromo had responded to a signal before it disappeared.  The belief was the signal had come from the Z2R system, but nothing had been found since they arrived.  They're realistically expecting to find maybe remains of an alien civilisation; not live specimens.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Nov 26, 2018, 10:00:04 AM
You just explained the actual plot of the movies :P.
The "they didn't truly know where they were sending the Nostromo, it was just going in a straight line towards a signal" bit and the "oops, better forget this ever happened" bit aren't in the movies. :P

Quote from: SM on Nov 26, 2018, 10:53:57 AM
After the colony had been there a while, someone at the Company had worked out that the Nostromo had responded to a signal before it disappeared.  The belief was the signal had come from the Z2R system, but nothing had been found since they arrived.  .
It still seems like an unnecessary contrivance, unless the moral of the story is supposed to be "even without Ripley, the Company knew there was something in the general vicinity", and I'm not sure what that really adds to the narrative.

But hey maybe that was a plot mandate from FOX. You know, the same FOX that mandated 'Out of the Shadows'. :P

The Old One

The Old One

It still seems like an unnecessary contrivance.

Nah, each of the books have this problem that makes them hard to take seriously from the outset.

OotS- Ellen Ripley's inbetweenquel adventure where she conveniently loses her memory of the incident at the end,
and apparently wedges the harpoon back below the door of the Narcissus, oh and Ash tags along for a bit.

RoP- Secret W-Y research base, escape craft, colonial marines, no MJJ, etc.

SoS- Empathic grandchild of Ellen Ripley? Fanfiction tier.

Still Collating...

Agreed that the premises sound like fanfiction at best, but I really liked the execution of OotS and SoS. I was at the edge of my suspension of disbelief though, can't deny that.
RoP? That took me over the edge. Too many things wrong with it. Nicely written parts and the Alien was treated well, but when you keep making mistake after mistake with the continuity which could've been easily fixed if you just watched the bloody movie a few more times, I'm simply not on board.

I'd really like to ignore that book entirely, but it influences one of the movies more than any other. That's why, for all the silly things we see in the Rage War Trilogy, I still like it a fair bit. Some crazy ideas: some cool, some ridiculous but it doesn't step on anybodies toes for the most part.

I like the idea of seeing WY employees racing each other to get an Alien specimen and, of course, it blowing up in their face so so bad. Some good drama could be done there.

Perfect-Organism

With the passage of time, I find that the Titan books were very much about execution and not about premise.  Each premise except for RoP was farcical yet done very well.  RoP read very well on the first read but seems to deteriorate with the passage of time.  The mistakes in details pull you out of the illusion, and the survivors diminish the severity of the disaster.

The Old One

The Old One

Which is a shame IMO- because then if the premises weren't so farcical;
You could have your cake and eat it too.

SM

SM

QuoteAgreed that the premises sound like fanfiction at best, but I really liked the execution of OotS and SoS. I was at the edge of my suspension of disbelief though, can't deny that.
RoP? That took me over the edge. Too many things wrong with it. Nicely written parts and the Alien was treated well, but when you keep making mistake after mistake with the continuity which could've been easily fixed if you just watched the bloody movie a few more times, I'm simply not on board.

I nitpicked the crap out of RoP, but it's still the best of the three due to the character relationships driving the story and the way the colony is so utterly pwned by the Aliens is such a short period.  The execution was such that I could overlook the continuity issues.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 26, 2018, 11:23:36 AM

It still seems like an unnecessary contrivance.

Nah, each of the books have this problem that makes them hard to take seriously from the outset.

OotS- Ellen Ripley's inbetweenquel adventure where she conveniently loses her memory of the incident at the end,
and apparently wedges the harpoon back below the door of the Narcissus, oh and Ash tags along for a bit.

RoP- Secret W-Y research base, escape craft, colonial marines, no MJJ, etc.

SoS- Empathic grandchild of Ellen Ripley? Fanfiction tier.
Ehh... the only one with a contrived *premise* is OotS. The other two have contrivances that pop up as they play out, but the actual premise of the story isn't the problem.

The Old One

The Old One

I didn't say the premises were the problem.
Just that they each have a (major) element that make them hard to take seriously.
In fact, OotS & SoS -each have a major one.
Which RoP trades instead for many less egregious ones.

Corporal Hicks

Russ840

Love it.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

I am super excited for this, I keep opening my instagram to look at the previews T-Rex is sharing.

Nostromo

Quote from: muthur9000 on Nov 27, 2018, 12:55:40 PM
I am super excited for this, I keep opening my instagram to look at the previews T-Rex is sharing.

Hi muthur, please be sharing them here as well if possible, sometimes I miss them!

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Nostromo on Nov 27, 2018, 05:05:51 PM
Quote from: muthur9000 on Nov 27, 2018, 12:55:40 PM

Hi muthur, please be sharing them here as well if possible, sometimes I miss them!

Corporal Hicks is pretty good at keeping on top of that, but if I spot a moment that he's asleep and hasn't done so... I will ;)

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed