Prometheus Plot Reveal - Aliens ARE In It

Started by Darkoo, Jan 27, 2011, 03:03:32 PM

Author
Prometheus Plot Reveal - Aliens ARE In It (Read 152,680 times)

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 05, 2011, 11:28:37 PM
I liked A:R more than Aliens actually, It is my favorite of the series, Aliens being third. I am convinced that I am not the only one who thinks like that.

Valaquen

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 05, 2011, 11:03:59 PM
So Alien resurrections problem was that it waited until 1997? had it been done sooner it would have been fresh? And why was it done right on Aliens and not in Alien:R? Both Aliens and Alien R were different enough from all the other movies that copy the formula. The Robot, The traitor character, the explosion at the end, the surviving alien gets in the ship for a surprise comback... you find that in 3 of the Alien Movies, plus many more.
Well, yes. It was the fourth movie. If it wanted to be taken with less sighs of disappointment then it wouldn't have repeated a thrice used formula. Cameron's trick was to change genre and turn the tables in some ways [Bishop hinted to be untrustworthy ... but trustworthy!] Like O'Bannon said, after that had been done 'there wasn't really anywhere else to go'. AR changed into a black comedy, which turned the already neutered fascinating and frightening elements into jokes. Look at the chestburster scene, for one example.

Federick Gonsa

How was Alien R comedy???

Valaquen

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 05, 2011, 11:39:09 PM
How was Alien R comedy???
Black comedy. And how was it not? It's Jeunet's style. Even Omega will you tell that AR was a black comedy take. Like I said, compare the chestburster scenes from Alien 1-3 and then look at Resurrection's.

ThisBethesdaSea

AR is an unintentional comedy, I mean, try taking any of that shit seriously. ALIENS featured comedy to break the tension, AR featured comedy because the very plot of the film was a joke from the start. The clone room scene was genius...pure ALIEN and a throwback to the unused egg chamber scene of the first film. Leland Orser was probably the best thing about AR by the way.

But, backing up....how old were you when you saw AR? Which film in the saga did you see first? I saw portions of ALIENS first as a kid and then saw the original from beginning to end. So, I was able to see how the series started, the formula from the beginning before it became a formula. Thusly I was able to watch the decline from the beginning.

Federick Gonsa

I saw the movies in this order:

Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien R, I saw them in succession. Alien 3, though, only saw it once by the time I watch Alien R (I HATE Alien 3).

cloverfan98

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 05, 2011, 11:28:37 PM
I liked A:R more than Aliens actually, It is my favorite of the series, Aliens being third. I am convinced that I am not the only one who thinks like that. But whatever. It's difference of opinion between us, no sense in agreeing or disagreeing.

A:R has problems, but I do love it and its probably my second favorite sequel.

ThisBethesdaSea

How old are you?

cloverfan98

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Feb 06, 2011, 02:09:19 AM
How old are you?

Me? 18. But A:R was also not the first Alien film I saw. I saw Alien and Aliens first.

ThisBethesdaSea

Age matters. The younger gen usually enjoys the more recent films while the older gen enjoys the earlier films.

Remonster

Am i the only person that doesn't like what Aliens changed about the creature? Now they only seem threatening when there are dozens of them.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Remonster on Feb 06, 2011, 04:32:19 AM
Am i the only person that doesn't like what Aliens changed about the creature? Now they only seem threatening when there are dozens of them.

Watched Alien lately? It hasn't changed.

Gate

Considering maybe that the Nostromo crew was unarmed and uncoordinated makes a lot more of a difference.

Same thing goes for A3

Also, same thing goes for the Colonists in AS

Remonster

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Feb 06, 2011, 04:33:49 AM

Watched Alien lately? It hasn't changed.

Yeah, I watch it all the time. And the alien wasn't throwing itself at them with reckless abandon, and It actually seemed to be able to think for itself instead of just being some brainless bug.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Nah, I disagree fullheartedly. I'd debate this in detail, Valaquen put it best:

QuoteDecrying James Cameron for introducing insect influences into the Alien series is akin to blaming wet streets for rain. Ridley Scott, Dan O'Bannon, HR Giger, and all closely involved with the creation of the original Alien cited and compared the creature to insects, years before Cameron even dreamed up his Terminator debut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed