Started by (Bad Blood), Sep 29, 2023, 05:09:29 AM

AVP Requiem VS The Predator

Alien Vs Predator Requiem
30 (69.8%)
The Predator 2018
13 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author
AVP Requiem VS The Predator (Read 9,076 times)

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

I actually like The Predator. In contrast to Requiem, it was supposed to be cheesy, dumb movie, that was the direction Shane Black took. And as ridiciulous sci fi shlock it is damn entertaining movie. It has very good cast and nice toilet and dark humor, if you are into that type of laughs. It also treats Predators with respects for the most part, despite what people say (expect this stupid change in their goals), they are never ibject of jokes and are competent, deadly and brutal. Requiem can be treated as low-class alien Invasion movie, and watched as such can bring some fun, but it was rather accidental, it's just as bad as those movies, not making fun of them or trying to subvert their tropes or anything. And You can't see shit in this movie. Only pros it has are Wolf and Predalien and some small scenes.

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Hard decision here. Only thing I liked about AvPR was Wolf. The Predator was the cast. I loved the humor and all the little Easter Eggs in The Predator.

Seeing the Easter Egg of, "Get to the choppers!" While they're running to the chopper motorcycles. Leaving her to fall off the bus was hilarious.

I hate to say that this, but I vote for The Predator. Only because I got a couple laughs out of it, had action THAT YOU COULD SEE and because of the Easter Eggs. That's it!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2023, 10:28:26 PMThe Predator. Has more engaging characters and a better cast.

Agreed. Ultimately I find the characters in The Predator actually interesting - and they have actual character. It's a much better cast. As a Predator film, it's actually quite good until after the Fugitive has successfully escaped from the Stargazer lab and then it goes off the rails lore-wise and doesn't really consistent in itself. Prior to that there's some good Predator action.

AvPR...only has the Wolf's design and Ian's performance going for it.

I'm in no rush to watch either of them again, but if I had to - The Predator.

SM

SM

For all the dumb crap in The Predator I could easily watch it again. Another problem it has is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. There's the tone deaf autism angle then the ham fisted climate change angle.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

This is a really tough call, both stinks. But which is better? I guess there are elements in both films that are better than the other. I think the human characters are better written in The Predator. You could see there is potential in how they were introduced...until it all went downhill half-way into the movie. There was such promise...then its like Shane Black suddenly just took a big dump on all those characters. I mean Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, etc, are accomplished actors and I felt their talents were just wasted in the latter half of the film.

In contrast, I really could not stand following pizza boy's adventures with his high school crush in AVPR. What the %^^&#@! was I watching? Some crappy teenage drama? Come on. I didn't pay money to watch stupid drama like Dawson's Creek or Berverly Hills 91210. And the dialogue? Oh man.

On the other hand, I kinda have a soft spot for the Wolf Predator in AVPR. I always wanted to see how an elite level Predator will dispatch the Aliens on screen. Part of that is also purely subjective, in how I played Aliens vs Predator game way back in the day, and that bias I have ever since dreaming of an awesome predator. At least on that level, AVPR made my dream come true in a limited extent.

In comparison, I didn't saw anything special about the Fugitive Predator. So he wanted to deliver the Predator Killer suit. That was a kinda cool concept, but not really executed well.

So all-in-all, I think The Predator is objectively a marginally better movie than AVPR. But ultimately it ended up a more disappointing viewing experience for me than AVPR. You could see there was the potential for a good film there, but it just got sidetracked and railroaded halfway into the film and that is such a letdown.

AVPR however, I can see now it had no pretensions to be a fantastic film. It is what it is. A bad movie...but somehow a terrible film I found enjoyable to watch in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

426Buddy

426Buddy

They both suck, but atleast The Predator has some decent cinematography.

I can't say anything positive about AvPR.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 22, 2023, 01:10:16 PMThey both suck, but atleast The Predator has some decent cinematography.

Not even Wolf?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 22, 2023, 09:53:57 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 22, 2023, 01:10:16 PMThey both suck, but atleast The Predator has some decent cinematography.

Not even Wolf?

Not really no... Ian Whites suit performance perhaps.

SM

SM

Especially not Wolf. Most overrated character in any Alien or Predator flick.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

I find both fun to watch. I mean AvPR is silly fun. The Predator is whatever but still fun. Both are mindless. But if I had to choose, The Predator is still only slightly superior.

By no means am I in any rush to watch either.

PsyKore

PsyKore

The Predator feels like a comic book to me. I kind of view it as such. It's still a much better crafted film than AvPR though.

I think Shane Black sort of had the right idea; The first two Predator films have plenty of cheese going on, but he just didn't rein it in and keep it grounded.

littlesprout

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:50:01 PMEspecially not Wolf. Most overrated character in any Alien or Predator flick.

Can you explain this take

SiL

SiL

He's completely useless at his job but lots of people think he's the coolest thing ever.

oduodu

oduodu

sil i dont understand. isnt black at the very least a good writer? lethal weapon was good? you sound really serious about this. what has he done or rather NOT done that upsets you so. just surprised. is this a popular opinion? wow. wasnt expecting that. anyways i am sorry if it seems i am being opposing for the sake of it. i thought he was generally highly regarded.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:50:01 PMEspecially not Wolf. Most overrated character in any Alien or Predator flick.

Yup.

Anyway I voted for AvPR, simply because it feels like any other cheap creature feature and can be enjoyed as such if you're in a charitable mood. With The Predator, you can see a lot of the comparatively large budget up on screen and it's still terrible, which makes it harder to extract even a modicum of enjoyment from it, personally.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed