Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship?

Started by Ingwar, Jan 17, 2017, 10:32:43 PM

Author
Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship? (Read 25,456 times)

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 03, 2017, 08:36:52 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 07:33:52 AM
After Aliens, the site was nonviable for specimens. That's not vague. It only becomes vague if you add a qualifier like '...for the Auriga team',  but that's not in the text.

BTW, SiL, I sent you a PM.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 08:07:12 AM
The WY Report literally has a sentence about things getting destroyed by the atmosphere processor, and intentionally doesn't say that the Derelict was among them despite having ample opportunity to do so. Instead, it uses vague wording like "rendered nonviable". According to the author, she thinks this was done intentionally, at FOX's behest.
Like I said, the CMTM says the Derelict survived, and the WY Report does not contradict this.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Even if the structure of the derelict is intact, I doubt he eggs survived the radiation. It would be so dumb for the USM to spend all that time trying and failing to clone Ripley if the only reason they didn't go to the derelict was because it was "difficult."

An easy away around that would be if all mention of LV-426 was redacted from ICC, EPA, and USCM records... via the judicious use of bribes and whatnot.  By the time the USM came around, the only thing they could find would be the book written by Morse.  Granted it's a pedestrian way around the problem you present and is in no way a flawless solution (it does have issues and doesn't 100% mesh with continuity), but I'm the first to admit I'm no writer.  I'm sure a writer could come up with something much more convincing.

Xenomrph

Even if the structure of the derelict is intact, I doubt he eggs survived the radiation. It would be so dumb for the USM to spend all that time trying and failing to clone Ripley if the only reason they didn't go to the derelict was because it was "difficult."
"So dumb" describes a lot of what the USM does (and the WY Report doesn't hesitate to point that out at several opportunities). :P

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 09:02:19 AM
Yeah. The vessel might be there, but the eggs are toast, one way or another.
I think that's a fair assessment. :)
Having said that, if a future book or movie or whatever decided to return to the Derelict and found live eggs or something, I'd still be very okay with it.

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 12:36:48 PM
After Aliens, the site was nonviable for specimens. That's not vague. It only becomes vague if you add a qualifier like '...for the Auriga team',  but that's not in the text.

The WY Report literally has a sentence about things getting destroyed by the atmosphere processor, and intentionally doesn't say that the Derelict was among them despite having ample opportunity to do so. Instead, it uses vague wording like "rendered nonviable". According to the author, she thinks this was done intentionally, at FOX's behest.
Like I said, the CMTM says the Derelict survived, and the WY Report does not contradict this.

An easy away around that would be if all mention of LV-426 was redacted from ICC, EPA, and USCM records... via the judicious use of bribes and whatnot.  By the time the USM came around, the only thing they could find would be the book written by Morse.  Granted it's a pedestrian way around the problem you present and is in no way a flawless solution (it does have issues and doesn't 100% mesh with continuity), but I'm the first to admit I'm no writer.  I'm sure a writer could come up with something much more convincing.
You just described, in essence, the "Big Deletion" - it was the old EU's way of addressing a similar problem. :P

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
"So dumb" describes a lot of what the USM does (and the WY Report doesn't hesitate to point that out at several opportunities). :P

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 09:02:19 AM
Yeah. The vessel might be there, but the eggs are toast, one way or another.
I think that's a fair assessment. :)
Having said that, if a future book or movie or whatever decided to return to the Derelict and found live eggs or something, I'd still be very okay with it.

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 12:36:48 PM

You just described, in essence, the "Big Deletion" - it was the old EU's way of addressing a similar problem. :P

I wasn't aware of that, Xenomrph.  My exposure to the old EU is limited to the novelization of the Earth War comics that I read back when I was in high school (loooooooooooooooong time ago).  Gotta admit though, such an approach does make sense, given the shady morals Company execs seem to exhibit when pursuing their own agendas. 

As I said though, it's not a flawless solution.  At this particular point, I don't think there is a flawless solution to the problem.  The series basically wrote itself into a corner with Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.  Retconning them like Blomkamp wanted to do is pretty extreme... but the alternatives are to either make Alien movies that don't involve Ripley or make a sequel to Alien: Resurrection.  In the case of the former, that's pretty much what Ridley Scott is doing so there is that.  In the case of the latter.... all I can say is "Dear Lord, mighty and benevolent one who resides on Mount High, spare your lowly and innocent children such a grisly fate!"  In the end, the solution to the problem may very well be a matter of going with the solution that is going to hurt the least... or provide the least amount of resistance to implement.  Which I suppose is why we're getting Alien: Covenant and it's sequel and why the chances of Alien 5 being made are "slim".  Going with Ridley Scott provides the least amount of resistance and is far easier to sell than the divisive Alien 5.

Local Trouble

The Big Deletion might explain why the USM knew nothing of the alien prior to the events on "Fiori-16."  That I can buy, but it stretches credulity to the breaking point when you try to cram all the apocalyptic alien infestations from the EU into it as well.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2017, 06:23:06 PM

The Big Deletion might explain why the USM knew nothing of the alien prior to the events on "Fiori-16."  That I can buy, but it stretches credulity to the breaking point when you try to cram all the apocalyptic alien infestations from the EU into it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but werent most of the EU infestations as a result of Wey-Yu experiments gone wrong?

Local Trouble

Nope.  In the original comics it was a rival company called Bionational.  I always wondered if that was intentional or if Mark Verheiden truly didn't know that the company from the films already had a name.

S to da motherf**kin' M?

oberonqa

Interesting.  Well even if it was intentional, all Wey-Yu would need to do is buy out Bionational, tie up loose ends there, and use their contacts in the ICC, EPA, and USCM to tie up loose ends there.  This is, in essence, exactly what they did with Seegson and Sevastapol station in Alien Isolation, so the precedent is there.

Is it a stretch?  Yes.  Does it break the believability scale?  No.

Local Trouble

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 07:17:27 PM

Deleting all records or physical evidence of an alien infestation of Earth doesn't break the believability scale?

oberonqa

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 07:17:27 PM

Deleting all records or physical evidence of an alien infestation of Earth doesn't break the believability scale?

I was referring to off-world incidents.  I wasn't aware we were talking about or including the Earth Hive trilogy.  Obviously that can't be wiped away so easily.

Local Trouble

I believe SM has a comprehensive list.

SM

I don't know why WY got excluded from so many of the early comics.  I think the first proper run they got was Berserker, some 7 or 8 years into the run.

Prior to that it was Bionational, Grant Corp/ Neo-Pharm, ZCT.

The Big Deletion was ill-conceived and executed.  It's hard to tell even when it's supposed to have occurred.  Presumably between the latest comics (which is also difficult to ascertain due to confusing references in existing comics, particularly between interconnecting stories) and Resurrection, but the dates mentioned in AvP: Thrill of the Hunt don't really add up.

On top of that, it doesn't seem like it was terribly "big".

Xenomrph

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 06:26:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but werent most of the EU infestations as a result of Wey-Yu experiments gone wrong?
WY actually doesn't feature in that many of the comics, which is kind of surprising. One of their more notable name-drops is in AvP: Duel; I don't think they even warrant a mention in most of the Bantam comic novelizations, if I'm remembering right.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 04, 2017, 01:54:11 AM
Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 06:26:38 PM

WY actually doesn't feature in that many of the comics, which is kind of surprising. One of their more notable name-drops is in AvP: Duel; I don't think they even warrant a mention in most of the Bantam comic novelizations, if I'm remembering right.

Probably works out for the best that the companies involved wasn't Wey-Yu.  Gives the Big Deletion event a bit more weight if they bought up competitor companies that had contact with the Xenomorph in an attempt to grow their own Bio-Weapons division efforts.

SM

How do you mean?

Besides Weyland-Yutani was very involved. Just not early in the run.

oberonqa

Quote from: SM on Feb 04, 2017, 05:39:26 AM
How do you mean?

Besides Weyland-Yutani was very involved. Just not early in the run.

Instead of Wey-Yu simply covering up off-world infestations in order to protect what they viewed as R&D, having the infestations being the result of other companies R&D gives Wey-Yu a chance to really get their hands dirty by actively buying up companies like Bionational in order to add that company's research to their own.  It makes the entire Bio-Weapons division a lot more nefarious and rubs off on their activities and gives the Big Deletion event more weight.

Allow me to present two scenarios:

Scenario A:  Wey-Yu conducts off-world R&D experiments on the Xenomorph and for any number of reasons, these experiments end up going south and result in loss of life and destruction of property.  Wey-Yu takes steps to clean up these infestations because they need to protect their intellectual property (Xenomorph as a weapon) and they need to protect their corporate image and by extension, their stock prices.

Scenario B:  Wey-Yu gets tipped off to off-world R&D experiments being conducted by rival company.  In order to protect their intellectual property, Wey-Yu engages in corporate espionage in order to weaken the rival company, making it an easy acquisition target.  They do this to remove a rival company from the board.  They also engage in industrial espionage on the rival's R&D experiments, which serves to further weaken the rival company (which helps in acquisition), but also serves to give Wey-Yu valuable data regarding Xenomorph in an actual environment without putting Wey-Yu in a ponderous position.  Upon acquiring the rival company, Wey-Yu is able to dismantle the rival and absorb whatever data on the Xenomorph it had directly into the Bio-Weapons division (along with test data gained from the industrial espionage).  This results in Wey-Yu strengthening it's own Bio-Weapons division and Xenomorph product line with minimal risk to their bottom line.  To the public, the acquisition would be viewed as corporate maneuvering and influential members of the rival company are brought into the Wey-Yu fold while others are dealt with in such a manner as to ensure their silence.

In Scenario A, the Great Deletion event is merely a by product of Wey-Yu trying to protect itself and it's R&D.  In Scenario B, the Great Deletion event is just another tool Wey-Yu uses in it's unorthodox and often times morally grey (if not morally black) methods to not only develop the Xenomorph into a viable product, but to protect it's competitive edge by actively seeking out rivals doing research on the Xenomorph and using that research to not only weaken the rival to the point of buyout/takeover but also using the rival company's research to conduct their own "live environment" research and rolling the results of all research into their own Bio-Weapons Division.

I'm probably way overthinking it and am not even sure I'm writing my thoughts down properly... hopefully it makes sense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed