Chappie

Started by ace3g, Feb 21, 2013, 11:08:34 PM

Author
Chappie (Read 72,508 times)

marrerom

marrerom

I just saw it and I really liked it.  Its his second best film and it has given me more confidence in his ability to create Alien 5

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 10, 2015, 10:40:12 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-practical-and-digital-tech-behind-chappie/

Quote from: FX Guide"Some of the locations were, security-wise, not necessarily the safest places," outlines Harvey. "It was a real concern that we could actually create a riot by staging one [for one scene]. You never know how things would go. But the people were all awesome. I don't remember any problems by any of the local people while we were there."
:laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Page Not Found

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Give it a try now, just edited the link.

And here's some concept art: http://www.gamesradar.com/behind-scenes-chappie/

Nightmare Asylum

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

f**king great.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

When is this coming out for you, Omega? Next month?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Basically -- 9th of April. Frustrates me something fierce.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

That sucks, but at least it's not too far away. Really looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Scree

Scree

So I've seen it, at last. I wouldn't say it's a horrible movie but there's a lot of things wrong with it and I totally understand all the bad reviews. It's one of those movies where you really have to switch your brain off and enjoy the fairy tale that is Blomkamp's Chappie. Otherwise you constantly get annoyed by the plotholes and really bad acting. However I really loved Hans Zimmer's soundtrack. It often reminded me of Ghost in the Shell and that was beautiful. Also the climax fight with the Moose...that was totally inspired by Ghost in the Shell, too.

There are things to enjoy but sadly this is Neill Flopkamp's weakest movie. Also the rather small screening room was less than half full. You could tell a lot of those people were guys like us. People who like sci-fi and fantasy and all that superhero crap ;) and who probably knew who the movie director is and at last while leaving the theater I've heard lots of people making jokes about how bad Chappie was and comparing if it's better or worse than Elysium?

Think of it like this. Chappie is a good Michael Bay movie. Teal and orange. Explosions. The camera closely mounted on cars or other moving objects. Yolandi wearing the american flag as a hoody or whatever it was. Product placement. Red Bull. Another Red Bull. Also, I think that Vodacom Tower had more screentime than Sigourney Weaver.

5/10

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scree on Mar 12, 2015, 07:47:03 AMThink of it like this. Chappie is a good Michael Bay movie. Teal and orange. Explosions. The camera closely mounted on cars or other moving objects. Yolandi wearing the american flag as a hoody or whatever it was. Product placement. Red Bull. Another Red Bull. Also, I think that Vodacom Tower had more screentime than Sigourney Weaver.

While the rest of your points are valid, I'm gonna have to disagree with this The character of Chappie had more emotion and development than all the characters from Michael Bay films put together.

Alien³

Alien³

Saw this film a few nights ago.

Loved it.

Interesting to see the reactions of desperate, or bad, parents when faced with a child they know they can't just abandon, along with the good parent who has lost a lot of connection to their creation.

Brought a tear to my eye when...

Spoiler
Chappie returns home after losing his arm.
[close]

Sharlto Copley did an amazing job.

Nice touch of symbolism of the gaming era when...
Spoiler
Hugh Jackman's character is revelling in the glory of battle from his safe chair miles away from the chaos. Like the drone pilots of today and people who are hooked playing war games.
[close]

Also the effects, music, pacing, everything was top notch. The acting was fine from everyone.

I look forward to what Blomkamp has in the pipeline for Alien, but still not happy if it does go ahead a retcons 3 & 4, considering all the talent that is going to be behind it. We'll see.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Scree on Mar 12, 2015, 07:47:03 AM
Otherwise you constantly get annoyed by the plotholes

Such as?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed