Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 299,641 times)

Jarac

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 06, 2015, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 06, 2015, 06:58:11 AMPretty much this. There's very little risk involved with letting Blomkamp do as he wishes vs letting the franchise wilt into obscurity. Do you realize that there are teenagers today who have never been alive during the release of an Alien film? How long is the franchise going to last if that keeps up? No new fans=no new money=dead franchise.

I don't think anyone's bitching about them making a new film. Some people just don't like the direction it's heading. It's not like this is the only thing they could've done with the franchise. There are a hundred other Alien movies they could've made.

I agree, I don't like how they've pretty much relied upon Ripley over the years and they can't seem to let her go. However, if Fox is going to keep Ripley around for the next film, it was better for them to continue from Aliens than Alien: Resurrection. Resurrection is much more reviled and was a product of Fox not wanting to let Ripley go.

Fox should have done different stories with new characters after Alien 3 (like the comics), but they were greedy and wanted to bring Ripley back for $$$$$$. I'm fine with Ripley and Hicks coming back in this film, but after this, they NEED to branch out to new characters and stories. The Ripley arc should have ended after Alien 3.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 06, 2015, 10:20:56 AM
I hate to say it but maybe it is due to pure laziness that they are going to piggy back off of the general popularity of Aliens instead of doing a proper reboot? Heck they are even tapping into the general audiences dissatisfaction with Alien3. Plus honestly how can you screw up an action movie, all they have to do is give us a Clone of Aliens with that little bit of extra boss fight and pow, cash cow. Wouldn't surprise me if it is PG13.
I still say it's the opposite. Gave himself a hard ass time by bringing back sci fi legends he has to do justice to. And he chose to write a story about these characters in particular. He didn't have to at all he wasn't feeling pressure from anybody to churn out a script. Just something he was working on for himself. He probably hoped he could make it but that Foxwouldn't like the idea of ignoring 3 and Resurrection.

So no not lazy but I'm sure things moved along so fast because Fox got $$ signs in their eyes when they heard "Ripley."

The Cruentus

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 06, 2015, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 06, 2015, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 06, 2015, 06:58:11 AMPretty much this. There's very little risk involved with letting Blomkamp do as he wishes vs letting the franchise wilt into obscurity. Do you realize that there are teenagers today who have never been alive during the release of an Alien film? How long is the franchise going to last if that keeps up? No new fans=no new money=dead franchise.

I don't think anyone's bitching about them making a new film. Some people just don't like the direction it's heading. It's not like this is the only thing they could've done with the franchise. There are a hundred other Alien movies they could've made.

I agree, I don't like how they've pretty much relied upon Ripley over the years and they can't seem to let her go. However, if Fox is going to keep Ripley around for the next film, it was better for them to continue from Aliens than Alien: Resurrection. Resurrection is much more reviled and was a product of Fox not wanting to let Ripley go.

Fox should have done different stories with new characters after Alien 3 (like the comics), but they were greedy and wanted to bring Ripley back for $$$$$$. I'm fine with Ripley and Hicks coming back in this film, but after this, they NEED to branch out to new characters and stories. The Ripley arc should have ended after Alien 3.

This.

Ripley is a brilliant character and memorable, so is Hicks but the series is suffering because they won't let the character(s) go.
They even forced her in Out of the Shadows along with Ash and the book suffered for it.
There shouldn't be sequels to Resurrection because it will only be silly nonsense. Alien series was gritty and realistic, Resurrection was not, any sequel will likely not be either, case in point. Sea of Sorrows which is set after Resurrection, has fricken psychics in the book.  :P

The series should not rely on Ripley, it needs to be original, Hicks was to be the new protoganist and would have been fine.
If they bring them back for this new film. Ripley story needs to be final, the end. No more Ripley after. Hicks can continue maybe but new character must be brought in and not archtypical ones either.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I hate to say it but maybe it is due to pure laziness that they are going to piggy back off of the general popularity of Aliens instead of doing a proper reboot? Heck they are even tapping into the general audiences dissatisfaction with Alien3. Plus honestly how can you screw up an action movie, all they have to do is give us a Clone of Aliens with that little bit of extra boss fight and pow, cash cow. Wouldn't surprise me if it is PG13.

Way too accurate.

predxeno

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 04:00:21 PM

Way too accurate.

Can't the same be said for Prometheus and its relationship with the AVP films?

Son Of Kane

No, because AVP was garbage, meaning the "laziness" wasn't laziness-  Ridley just considered AVP irrelevant.

predxeno

Funny how many fans consider A3 garbage and now Blomkamp is considering it irrelevant. ;)

Son Of Kane

Actually he said directly he isn't "undoing" Alien3, that he respects it.

Where-as Scott always hated AVP and rightfully so.

predxeno

Well, it's irrelevant to his movie, that's what I was getting at.

Son Of Kane

No, it's actually very relevant, many comparisons will be made.

predxeno

Nice try, but we both know this will be a separate universe, comparisons notwithstanding.

OpenMaw

It'll be very fun to go back and look at all these threads in a couple years, once the film has come out and whatever will be will be. I remember the pages upon pages of speculation and arguments over Prometheus in the lead up, and we were all so sure of our positions. It'll be great to have certain things verified and other preconceptions utterly smashed once again, hopefully though, the things being smashed will be any of those feelings that make us feel apprehension towards where this project is going at this point.

I also really don't agree that a retcon is a lazy writing choice at all. It's a brave choice with a lot of risk behind it. It can be executed in a lazy fashion, absolutely, but the idea behind a retcon is in and of itself not lazy.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 06, 2015, 05:08:25 PM
No, it's actually very relevant, many comparisons will be made.

Yep, the fact that Alien V may ignore or retcon Alien 3 because of how it turned out makes Alien 3 very relevant, no Alien 3 = no Alien V concept.

predxeno

Sure, if that's your view on things :-\

The Cruentus

Its simple cause and effect.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed