Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 299,617 times)

Russ

Ah, I see, Mag - I thought I'd missed something about Prom2 and had a melt-down *lol*

Perfect-Organism

The basic premise of Prometheus is the quest for eternal live.  It is not outlandish to think that Shaw may be granted eternal life once she reaches the Engineer homeworld.  In such a scenario, she may well live into the era that Ripley is in.  That and getting stuck in cryosleep for a few decades could do the trick...

I personally think Shaw is somehow related to the Yutani side of things.  In the initial viral videos for Prometheus when Shaw is doing her pitch, we see the Yutani logo.  Its entirely possible that Shaw becomes the leader of Weyland-Yutani in the future and in the end we see a confrontation and ultimately an understanding between her and Ripley.

Far out conjecture, I know, but it would work...

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 02:05:41 PMAs I understand it, Alienkamp is supposed to be released after Prometheus 2, and I'm starting to wonder if this will be film that bridges both franchises. Has anyone hypothesized that one of the juggernauts seen in Prometheus will act as the catalyst for Blomkamp's film?
Well, for what we've seen in concept art, the Engineer technology is prominent in this movie, I think there are good chances of a connection between the Aliens and Prometheus mythos in this movie.

What I don't want them to do is to use Prometheus 2 stuff as a plot device to retcon Alien 3 and 4... That would be just lazy.

A retcon like that wouldn't be possible, unless the Engineer's have time travel tech we haven't been exposed to yet.
No, it can be possible, if they explain some xenomorph "secret technology" like saying xenos are digital creatures and the DNA of everyone infected by them is sent to the Engineers planet and they use it to resurrect that people or something, I mean, it would be horrible, but it can be done...

I couldn't even make sense of that idea, so yes I pray they stay away from it.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 02, 2015, 02:46:27 PM
The basic premise of Prometheus is the quest for eternal live.  It is not outlandish to think that Shaw may be granted eternal life once she reaches the Engineer homeworld.  In such a scenario, she may well live into the era that Ripley is in.  That and getting stuck in cryosleep for a few decades could do the trick...

It is outlandish, considering the Engineer killed Weyland after David asked the Engineer to grant him eternal life. I don't see why Shaw would receive a warmer reception.

Magegg

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 03:24:20 PMI couldn't even make sense of that idea, so yes I pray they stay away from it.
It doesn't have to make sense, what I'm saying is that with Prometheus high sci-fi, opposed to Alien low sci-fi, they can basically solve things with a bumbo jumbo... Just hoping they won't "import" some of that logic into Alien 5.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 03:40:11 PMIt doesn't have to make sense, what I'm saying is that with Prometheus high sci-fi, opposed to Alien low sci-fi, they can basically solve things with a bumbo jumbo...

OK, no, any retcon that's inclusive of the old films absolutely has to make sense, otherwise they're just taking the p*ss.

Son Of Kane

I agree HuDaFuk.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 03:40:11 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 03:24:20 PMI couldn't even make sense of that idea, so yes I pray they stay away from it.
It doesn't have to make sense, what I'm saying is that with Prometheus high sci-fi, opposed to Alien low sci-fi, they can basically solve things with a bumbo jumbo... Just hoping they won't "import" some of that logic into Alien 5.

If they're meant to connect, they might :-\

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Mar 02, 2015, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 02, 2015, 02:05:41 PMAs I understand it, Alienkamp is supposed to be released after Prometheus 2, and I'm starting to wonder if this will be film that bridges both franchises. Has anyone hypothesized that one of the juggernauts seen in Prometheus will act as the catalyst for Blomkamp's film?
Well, for what we've seen in concept art, the Engineer technology is prominent in this movie, I think there are good chances of a connection between the Aliens and Prometheus mythos in this movie.

What I don't want them to do is to use Prometheus 2 stuff as a plot device to retcon Alien 3 and 4... That would be just lazy.

A retcon like that wouldn't be possible, unless the Engineer's have time travel tech we haven't been exposed to yet.
No, it can be possible, if they explain some xenomorph "secret technology" like saying xenos are digital creatures and the DNA of everyone infected by them is sent to the Engineers planet and they use it to resurrect that people or something, I mean, it would be horrible, but it can be done...

Given the Engineer's worship of death, I hardly think they want to resurrect the dead or travel in time, or create "digital organisms". That's silly.

Perfect-Organism

Who says they worship death?  The scope of their religion has only been hinted at.

We're all "digital" creatures in a way.  Every fibre of our existence is held together by the "information" contained within our DNA...

Dustie

I personally think Shaw is somehow related to the Yutani side of things.  In the initial viral videos for Prometheus when Shaw is doing her pitch, we see the Yutani logo.  Its entirely possible that Shaw becomes the leader of Weyland-Yutani in the future and in the end we see a confrontation and ultimately an understanding between her and Ripley.

As in Shaw leading Yutani, because she's after whatever Engineers conjured up? Aliens, to be specific?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Dustie on Mar 03, 2015, 12:34:08 AM

As in Shaw leading Yutani, because she's after whatever Engineers conjured up? Aliens, to be specific?

Yes kind of like that, though I don't think she had that motivation until after the confrontation in Prometheus.  I think initially at least she wanted to meet her maker.  Now she is essentially Ripley, in the sense that she will do whatever it takes to prevent the destruction of humanity.  Although rather than just wanting to destroy the Aliens / Engineers outright, she needs to know why they hate us, whereas Ripley just wants to destroy them.  It is an interesting set of counter-motivations for both characters.  It would explain why Shaw's Weyland-Yutani wants to capture and study the Aliens at all cost, basically for her weapons program in defense against the Engineers.  Under such a scenario, Ripley could some day come to embrace WY.

Massive conjecture I know, but thy have to make the Yutani connection at some point...

T Dog

You guys seen this latest interview with Blomkamp?

When asked about Ripley and Hicks coming back he coyly and mischievously says "mmmmmmm hopefully we'll see them", as in "yes you will see them".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a631526/new-alien-movie-secrets-revealed-sigourney-weaver-michael-biehn-to-return.html#~p5UyugpCv6lN4m

xeno-kaname

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 03, 2015, 11:14:49 PM

When asked about Ripley and Hicks coming back he coyly and mischievously says "mmmmmmm hopefully we'll see them", as in "yes you will see them".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a631526/new-alien-movie-secrets-revealed-sigourney-weaver-michael-biehn-to-return.html#~p5UyugpCv6lN4m
Some assumptions of what he wants to do tonally are confirmed here. He's hoping to have a bit of both. Cameron pretty much pulled it off until halfways around the movie where it went full action. The facehugger scene was great tension and terror as well. Hopefully Blomkamp succeeds in this. At least he sounds like he knows what to aim for.

T Dog

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Mar 04, 2015, 06:15:20 AM
Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 03, 2015, 11:14:49 PM

Some assumptions of what he wants to do tonally are confirmed here. He's hoping to have a bit of both. Cameron pretty much pulled it off until halfways around the movie where it went full action. The facehugger scene was great tension and terror as well. Hopefully Blomkamp succeeds in this. At least he sounds like he knows what to aim for.

True, but this is the problem. Alien 3 WAS a return to the vibe of the first film except that it was even more horrific, nihilistc and disturbing. In a lot of ways, especially with it's slow burning pace and sense of dread, it is more of an art movie and true sequel to Alien. Yes the off screen deaths of Hicks and Newt felt unfair but it's a truly ballsy move.
Blomkamp thinks A3 "went off the rails" because it wasn't what he wanted as a fan, but the truth is that it's more of a true sequel to Alien than Aliens was.

DoomRulz

A3 was a spiritual sequel at best, given the tone and pace of the film. But Aliens was a far superior movie, both as a sequel and just as an overall movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed