Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,891 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 02:53:10 AM
Either it means retconning A3 out of existence, which despite it's script flaws, is an admirable film that closes Ripley's story very effectively, and doesn't deserve to be dumped on by FOX.

I agree with this!

Or it's the continuing story of Ripley 8, who was a uninteresting character in a terrible film.

I am not so sure if Weaver wants to continue where Ripley 8 left off from.. I mean I am not even sure what her attitude towards the character is but if I recall, she said only Ridley Scott and James Cameron wrote the character right.

Why saddle yourself with such problems?

I would love for this movie to be a stand-alone. I am hoping it's a stand-alone with new characters.

Gash

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Feb 19, 2015, 02:56:01 AM
Gonna get lynched for this, but I don't care: If retconing A3 and A4 isn't an option for whatever reason(s) I'm totally okay with them rebooting the series at this point.

What, with old lady Ripley? Can't really be a reboot then can it?

Magegg

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 19, 2015, 03:00:27 AMIn your last two posts, you seem to be really keyed-in on the non-hardcore fans. So one must ask: why would the non-hardcore fans care if Ripley and Hicks are in it at all?
Well, there are like 50-years-old people who only loved the series because of those characters, and then lost any interest in the series...

You know, you cannot owe the credits for the series success and fan memories only on the xenomorph alone or the horror concepts, people embraced Alien as a great saga because of the empathy with its characters.

Adam802

just food for thought....

What do you guys think of an "alternate timeline" film set a few years after Aliens, where A3 and resurrection didn't happen?  An older Ripley and Hicks seeking some kind retribution against WY for the death of Newt and all WYs general shadiness.  Could explore WY as a company, show their head quarters, their brass, and what happens when they finally start Harvesting Xenomorphs for bio-weapons.

I think that would maybe be cool.  thoughts?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 03:03:02 AM
Well, there are like 50-years-old people who only loved the series because of those characters, and then lost any interest in the series...

You say fifty year old like it's a shameful thing.

I'm twenty seven and I love the series and the characters.

Magegg

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 19, 2015, 03:04:17 AM
just food for thought....

What do you guys think of an "alternate timeline" film set a few years after Aliens, where A3 and resurrection didn't happen?  An older Ripley and Hicks seeking some kind retribution against WY for the death of Newt and all WYs general shadiness.  Could explore WY as a company, show their head quarters, their brass, and what happens when they finally start Harvesting Xenomorphs for bio-weapons.

I think that would maybe be cool.  thoughts?
Nightmare Asylum and Breakout were awesome. That's pretty much my opinion.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 03:01:40 AM
Gonna get lynched for this, but I don't care: If retconing A3 and A4 isn't an option for whatever reason(s) I'm totally okay with them rebooting the series at this point.

No, I mean reboot it completely, with all new characters and everything.

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 03:05:20 AM

No, I'm 27 too. I'm talking about every people that watched these movies in the theater long time ago and helped them to be a great success. They might be interested in seeing their loved characters alive and back.

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Feb 19, 2015, 03:06:08 AM

AvP and Prometheus pretty much tried to do this. People didn't respond that well.

DaddyYautja

At least we know that the film will have cool fights.

Wobblyboddle77

This is great news, i'm kind of on the fence about bloomkamp as a director. District 9 was a decent film, but Elysium looked great and most of the acting was fine. The script though was below average. I'm cautiously optimistic about this film, Scott producing dosen't bother me. I hope we get closure on Ripleys story and the derelict engineer craft on lv426 is looked at in more detail, as i assume it survived the explosion on LV426.

OpenMaw

Unless it ends up being a Trek 2009 style reboot. A half-boot, or whatever. I have no idea how that would work.

Adam802

I assume Blomkamp wont be WRITING the script?  just directing?

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 03:06:27 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 03:05:20 AM

No, I'm 27 too. I'm talking about every people that watched these movies in the theater long time ago and helped them to be a great success. They might be interested in seeing their loved characters alive and back.

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Feb 19, 2015, 03:06:08 AM

AvP and Prometheus pretty much tried to do this. People didn't respond that well.

People didn't respond cause the stories were pure crap.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 02:58:26 AM

I don't think most people would care if A3 is retconned.

But I think most non-hardcore fans, that loved the characters, would prefer them to be revealed to be alive and a couple living on a distant planet or something.

I would have no problem with that either. Gives Ripley, Hicks and Newt the happy ending they should have eventually had and allows a new cast to take the series onwards...

Magegg

Just Make:

Shaw & Ripley: Xenos of Future Past.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed