The 'last thing you bought' thread

Started by Effectz, Jun 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM

Author
The 'last thing you bought' thread (Read 387,300 times)

xeno_alpha_07

Decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.  Finally picked both the Making of Alien and Aliens books by J. W. Rinzler. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Dec 13, 2023, 11:09:09 AMDecided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.  Finally picked both the Making of Alien and Aliens books by J. W. Rinzler. 
I still need to get Alien, but the Aliens book is superb.

I will never get over the powers that be not letting him loose on the third movie.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 13, 2023, 02:03:26 PM
Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Dec 13, 2023, 11:09:09 AMDecided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.  Finally picked both the Making of Alien and Aliens books by J. W. Rinzler. 
I still need to get Alien, but the Aliens book is superb.

I will never get over the powers that be not letting him loose on the third movie.

I've got both on first release and I still haven't had an opportunity to read either. That said I did a quick re-read of the schematics book (let's just overlook the extra hypersleep beds on the Narcissus eh). I wish we got more of a cross section schematic/layouts of Hadley's Hope, the Sulaco and perhaps even the Auriga too.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 13, 2023, 02:03:26 PMI still need to get Alien, but the Aliens book is superb.

I have had a flick through both books but not had the time sadly to sit and fully read them yet  :)  I really can't wait to be able to sit down and have a good read.  It has been a while.  I didn't know the powers that be wouldn't let him loose on Alien 3 m:o wow, I wonder why that was?

SiL

SiL

Was it the fact he was dying?

BlueMarsalis79

He posted on formerly Twitter, that Fox had no interest.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SiL on Dec 17, 2023, 09:30:44 AMWas it the fact he was dying?

Gosh :o I forgot for a moment he passed away  :( I'm an idiot.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 17, 2023, 09:32:08 AMHe posted on formerly Twitter, that Fox had no interest.

Typical  >:( and frustrating. 

Master Chief

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Finally bought a new laptop. Had my current one 18 years (one new hard drive notwithstanding) and it's finally started giving up the ghost :laugh:

Quote from: Prez on Dec 14, 2023, 12:55:15 AMI wish we got more of a cross section schematic/layouts of Hadley's Hope, the Sulaco and perhaps even the Auriga too.
I completely understand why the third and especially fourth films don't get the kind of behind-the-scenes love the first two do, but precisely because they don't I've always wished they would. I genuinely would've been more excited by the prospect of Rinzler books on 3 and Resurrection than I was the first two, simply because we know so little about those movies in comparison.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering or just misinformed, but I recall a book about the third film being shot down before his health became an issue.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 27, 2023, 10:19:23 AM
Maybe I'm mis-remembering or just misinformed, but I recall a book about the third film being shot down before his health became an issue.

That's my understanding of the situation too.

I don't think I'd be as interested in anything on Resurrection unless it covered other attempts at getting an Alien 4 made or if they got hold of the Newt treatment. But I'm sure there's still some absolute gems about Alien 3 buried away that letting someone of Rinzler's caliber loose on it would be an absolute treat.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That's just reminded me of the story about Fincher attacking his desk with a knife that was revealed in the uncut version of Wreckage and Rage :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

2 months later, I finally spent my birthday cash on the new Avatar game.

KiramidHead

I used my Christmas gift cards to pick up some stuff:

Napoleon: A Life, by Andrew Roberts

The Insider (1999) - Blu-Ray

Miami Vice (2006) - Unrated Director's Editon - Blu-Ray

Blackhat - Arrow Blu-Ray

Those last two are almost purely down to HudaFuk's influence. :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 29, 2023, 10:10:56 PMThe Insider (1999) - Blu-Ray
Still not had a Blu-ray release in the UK, despite being one of Mann's best movies >:(

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 30, 2023, 07:33:42 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 29, 2023, 10:10:56 PMThe Insider (1999) - Blu-Ray
Still not had a Blu-ray release in the UK, despite being one of Mann's best movies >:(

The US release honestly feels like a cheap one, between the font on the sleeve, the menus, and the smattering of features not even mentioned on the case. Good video quality, though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed