Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,701 times)

BerserkerPred

BerserkerPred

I voted for AvP, although that's not saying much. The acting was VERY bad and the lines delivered poorly. the only guy who did pretty good was Weyland. AvPR was more violent, yes, but I mean I could barely tell what was going on toward the end and the overall direction felt like I was watching a Sci-fi  channel movie. but still, both had the lines "you are one ugly  motherf---(and then cut off)" and "get to the chopper!" and both were delivered extremely poor. still, I liked the action scenes in AvP better because you could actually see what was going on.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

AvP:R had the motherf**ker line? When?

The Ghoul

The Ghoul

^ I would like to know that myself. I don't remeber it.

SM

SM

It didn't.

Though Stevens did say 'What the hell are you?' to the screen grab of the Ailen.  Which was enough for him to murder thousands of people.

Yes, I have finally watched all of AvP:Poo.
(Copy and paste from AXP)

Parte the Firste:

The script is utterly appalling.  Like when the sheriff is out in the dark about to stop looking for the hunter and his son.  Not only does he resist the help that's offered in the form of an excrutiating "We look out for our own" as if the Sheriff was new in town.  Then we have the wife tell us - twice in the space of a couple of minutes "They're out there".  Apparently "they wouldn't stop looking for [her]".  So does she resume searching at first light?  No - she hands out flyers.  Does the sheriff continue looking?  Nah - gotta go get coffee, and drop off some exposition.

Soldeir girl and husband talking "Molly just needs more time".  Phew thanks for saying her name - I thought you might've meant the other emotionally withdrawn Newt clones.  Who talks like that?

Much has been said of the f**king stupid Predator skinning the cop while trying to erase any trace of the Aliens, and their victims.  A Predator who also seems to be the most f**king awful shot since stormtroopers.

But more than anything the pace is just moronic.  I'm up to the bit just after the pool scene, and it's been nothing but stop/ start the whole time.  As soon as anything happens, and there's a chance the momentum might start to build up to something - we cut to the next batch of cardboard cut outs who's names we can't remember, doing something just as equally unmemorable.

Parte the Second:

Finished watching it on the train.  Ye Gods... 

I think it's worst crime is chronic waste of potential.

If you can ignore the inexplicable return to Earth of the Predator ship and the sheer stupidity of a Predator blowing the shit of his ship by accident - a ship packing facehuggers no less - you'd be forgiven for thinking that after the ship crashes you could be in a for a half decent flick.

But the acting, the script, the dialogue, just everything is terrible.  Even ADIs work which is generally solid in terms of execution, if not design, was very substandard.  Never before has an Alien looked so obviously like a guy in a suit - not just in look by also in performance.  Even at the end of Alien, the prehensile tail looked cool hooking on to the engine.  The Aliens - mainly the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) - were shot and edited absolutely woefully.

The characters varied between simply dull to excrutiating.  Kelly left her husband and never answered her daughters question about doing so.  Dallas and Ricky seem to barely tolerate each other.  Jesse and Dale were shitty stereotypes.  The only relationship worth anything was that of Dallas and the Sheriff, but once agan was wasted utterly.  They obviously were friends once upon a time and one fought crime and the other committed it.  Perfect staging for an exploration of how they influence each other to bring out the best in the situation – but there was no development.  Another wasted opportunity was Kelly and Molly – mother struggling with guilt at abandoning daughter -  which could've made it much more than a poor facsimile of Aliens.  Except she made a habit of abandoning people.

Add to that of having a dark environment in the rain to create a great mood – wasted.  Modern soldiers taking on the Aliens – lasted what?  90 seconds?

One positive was Whyte's performance as the Predator.  Can't think of anything else.  Even the sound effects were blatantly sampled from better films.  Same with the soundtrack – Messrs Goldsmith (well, his estate), Horner, Goldenthal and Frizzell should get their attorneys to have a listen.

I could go on and on, but I'd just be repeating what others have been saying for the last 3 years or so.  Just an endless litany of dumb people doing and saying dumb things, with Aliens and Predators doing equally dumb things.

Must be frustrating for writers of fan fic when shit just as bad like this gets made into a film.

As bad as Anderson's film was, and it was, this was infinitely worse.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Could'a saved yourself a whole lotta trouble and just said the script sucked, lol

SM

SM

I haven't read the whole script.

Now I don't need to.

SiL

SiL

SM

SM

That's another reason I never read the whole thing.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's my only real problem with the film, TBH. The dialogue is so painful to listen to that the only reason I stomach it is because I think the film is dumb fun despite being worse than Anderson's. Then again, I haven't seen Requiem in at least a year.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: SM on Nov 29, 2010, 10:23:23 PM
It didn't.

Though Stevens did say 'What the hell are you?' to the screen grab of the Ailen.  Which was enough for him to murder thousands of people.

Yes, I have finally watched all of AvP:Poo.
(Copy and paste from AXP)

Parte the Firste:

The script is utterly appalling.  Like when the sheriff is out in the dark about to stop looking for the hunter and his son.  Not only does he resist the help that's offered in the form of an excrutiating "We look out for our own" as if the Sheriff was new in town.  Then we have the wife tell us - twice in the space of a couple of minutes "They're out there".  Apparently "they wouldn't stop looking for [her]".  So does she resume searching at first light?  No - she hands out flyers.  Does the sheriff continue looking?  Nah - gotta go get coffee, and drop off some exposition.

Soldeir girl and husband talking "Molly just needs more time".  Phew thanks for saying her name - I thought you might've meant the other emotionally withdrawn Newt clones.  Who talks like that?

Much has been said of the f**king stupid Predator skinning the cop while trying to erase any trace of the Aliens, and their victims.  A Predator who also seems to be the most f**king awful shot since stormtroopers.

But more than anything the pace is just moronic.  I'm up to the bit just after the pool scene, and it's been nothing but stop/ start the whole time.  As soon as anything happens, and there's a chance the momentum might start to build up to something - we cut to the next batch of cardboard cut outs who's names we can't remember, doing something just as equally unmemorable.

Parte the Second:

Finished watching it on the train.  Ye Gods... 

I think it's worst crime is chronic waste of potential.

If you can ignore the inexplicable return to Earth of the Predator ship and the sheer stupidity of a Predator blowing the shit of his ship by accident - a ship packing facehuggers no less - you'd be forgiven for thinking that after the ship crashes you could be in a for a half decent flick.

But the acting, the script, the dialogue, just everything is terrible.  Even ADIs work which is generally solid in terms of execution, if not design, was very substandard.  Never before has an Alien looked so obviously like a guy in a suit - not just in look by also in performance.  Even at the end of Alien, the prehensile tail looked cool hooking on to the engine.  The Aliens - mainly the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) - were shot and edited absolutely woefully.

The characters varied between simply dull to excrutiating.  Kelly left her husband and never answered her daughters question about doing so.  Dallas and Ricky seem to barely tolerate each other.  Jesse and Dale were shitty stereotypes.  The only relationship worth anything was that of Dallas and the Sheriff, but once agan was wasted utterly.  They obviously were friends once upon a time and one fought crime and the other committed it.  Perfect staging for an exploration of how they influence each other to bring out the best in the situation – but there was no development.  Another wasted opportunity was Kelly and Molly – mother struggling with guilt at abandoning daughter -  which could've made it much more than a poor facsimile of Aliens.  Except she made a habit of abandoning people.

Add to that of having a dark environment in the rain to create a great mood – wasted.  Modern soldiers taking on the Aliens – lasted what?  90 seconds?

One positive was Whyte's performance as the Predator.  Can't think of anything else.  Even the sound effects were blatantly sampled from better films.  Same with the soundtrack – Messrs Goldsmith (well, his estate), Horner, Goldenthal and Frizzell should get their attorneys to have a listen.

I could go on and on, but I'd just be repeating what others have been saying for the last 3 years or so.  Just an endless litany of dumb people doing and saying dumb things, with Aliens and Predators doing equally dumb things.

Must be frustrating for writers of fan fic when shit just as bad like this gets made into a film.

As bad as Anderson's film was, and it was, this was infinitely worse.

Pretty much sums it up.

SM

SM

QuoteIt's my only real problem with the film, TBH. The dialogue is so painful to listen to that the only reason I stomach it is because I think the film is dumb fun despite being worse than Anderson's. Then again, I haven't seen Requiem in at least a year.

It's not just what they say - it's what they do that sucks any sort of fun out of it.  And that includes the Aliens.  They might as well be carrying around megaphones to telegraph their imminent arrivals.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: SM on Nov 29, 2010, 11:09:53 PM
QuoteIt's my only real problem with the film, TBH. The dialogue is so painful to listen to that the only reason I stomach it is because I think the film is dumb fun despite being worse than Anderson's. Then again, I haven't seen Requiem in at least a year.

It's not just what they say - it's what they do that sucks any sort of fun out of it.  And that includes the Aliens.  They might as well be carrying around megaphones to telegraph their imminent arrivals.

Although the PredXeno impaling the pizza boy was a pleasant surprise...too bad it didnt get the job done

SM

SM

Another dumb thing.  Ricky gets impaled by an Alien and lives; Dallas is nabbed by a Predator and strung up and lives.  Anyone else carrying a gun in the film get their head shot off, but, oh no, not our Dallas.  Anyone else getting touched by Aliens ends with a big glob of their blood spraying on a window or something.

They might as well have had big signs on their heads saying SCRIPT IMMUNITY, such was the extent they didn't even bother to hide it.  Even them killing Sam at the start, and the utterly tasteless DURRRR CHESTBURRRSTURRSS EATED DA BABBEHS, never made me think Molly would die.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2010, 01:12:57 AM
Another dumb thing.  Ricky gets impaled by an Alien and lives; Dallas is nabbed by a Predator and strung up and lives.  Anyone else carrying a gun in the film get their head shot off, but, oh no, not our Dallas.  Anyone else getting touched by Aliens ends with a big glob of their blood spraying on a window or something.

They might as well have had big signs on their heads saying SCRIPT IMMUNITY, such was the extent they didn't even bother to hide it.  Even them killing Sam at the start, and the utterly tasteless DURRRR CHESTBURRRSTURRSS EATED DA BABBEHS, never made me think Molly would die.

My major complaint is that there were survivors...

The Ghoul

The Ghoul

Quote from: Ghostface on Nov 30, 2010, 01:06:27 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 29, 2010, 11:09:53 PM

Although the PredXeno impaling the pizza boy was a pleasant surprise...too bad it didnt get the job done
What do you expect from predxeno? Oh wait you mean the predalien.  :P

Na seriously I think even our predxeno would of been able to do a better job than chet did.  ;)

Yeah like Sm said it stunk of Script Immunity.

Once I saw wolf grab two aliens by the neck and take no damage what so ever but a scratched mask. I said "yeah this guy is immune." Or dallas being strung up.  (minus the fact i saw that part as totally epic but once i thought about it; if there were other preds with him, he would of been shreded.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed