Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,657 times)

The Demon

The Demon

Quote from: SiL on Sep 11, 2010, 02:40:13 AM
And AvPR is no different. It has no more colour range than the first AvP.

The color in the film was fine but the directing wasn't. In my opinion.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Sep 10, 2010, 08:32:17 PM
Lex wore red and Sebastian wore yellow. There was more yellow and orange from the scenes set in Mexico, the establishing shot of the tracking station, and the Weyland logo, which is everywhere, was yellow, too. There was plenty of blue throughout the film, either in the locations -- dark blue -- or set dressing.

But seriously, what the hell. Most of the friggin' movie takes place in Antarctica, a country not exactly renowned for its broad colour pallet.

You're honestly trying to tell people you think AvPR looks better than, say, Sin City? Or Casablanca? Or any of a hundred beautiful movies shot in black and white? Get off the grass, man.

Casablanca was made in the 40's, before colour was even around in film and Sin City was supposed to be gritty, hence the way it was filmed. AvP was just dull and boring.

SiL

SiL

You still said you'd rather a film with any colour, than no colour. Doesn't matter why those films are black and white; you still just said you think AvPR looks better than them.

AvP had plenty of colour -- a broader range than Alien or Aliens, yet you're not saying those films seem black and white or dull. Your insistence in attacking the look of AvP is confusing, unwarranted, and unsupported by anything you've managed to show or say. You're hating on it for the sake of it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If a film is black and white for a reason, then I can't complain, even if I wanted to. I already explained why in the case of Casablanca and SC.

AvP was just dull. The film had colour at times, but I felt as though in at least 80% of the film, it was a lot of black, grey, and white. There wasn't much variation in what I was seeing. I remember watching the trailers and a lot of scenes had hues of blue in the background which looked really good. For the life of me, I can't understand why they weren't in the completed film.

SiL

SiL

They are. I really have no clue what you're talking about -- the movie is full of blue. The only real grey is the Predators' armour. There's colour in every single shot of the film.

You're sounding like the people who whine about AvPR being impossible to see. It isn't, any more than AvP is approaching black and white. Maybe it's just your DVD, because mine is full of blue-green ambient colour.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

At the risk of sounding like I'm back-peddling, I don't mean AvP is literally B&W. I'm just taking a stab at the fact that the majority of the film was just bleh to look at.

SiL

SiL

I know you didn't actually mean near-B&W, but ... I still don't get it. It's a well-shot film.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Set designs were nice, but in addition to a boring palette (IMO), I didn't care for the obsessive close-ups or quick camera cut aways. Like when Celtic jumps through the hole to go after Grid. Why did Anderson insist on giving us a cut-off view of Grid rolling away, quickly cut back to Celtic from the bottom, split-second close-up of his feet, split-second shot of him jumping down, then a side-shot of him in the hole? Stuff like that is annoying.

Valaquen

Valaquen

The latter half of AVP was pretty drab, the black temple walls ... or maybe it was the feel of the movie that was drab, and not the look ... I don't care for it anyway.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The only point SiL is wrong about is AvPR's visual clarity.

It's possible to see, but that's saying so little. A lot of AvPR is just visually incomprehensible.

FUZION PREDATOR

FUZION PREDATOR

What precicly the subject between Doom and SiL

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 12, 2010, 06:14:59 AM
The latter half of AVP was pretty drab, the black temple walls ... or maybe it was the feel of the movie that was drab, and not the look ... I don't care for it anyway.

That's what I'm getting at. The look was drab. The film too was boring, but that's another matter.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I know films that have a lower color range than AvP & AvPR and are better than both. :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And your point being?

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

He's saying that the color of a film isn't that big a deal when both films are garbage anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed