Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,491 times)

Fleshtrap666

Fleshtrap666

I think it's just fitting that AVP:R was a bit of a slap to the face of Alien fanboys seeing as the first AVP was a slap in the face to Predator fanboys. I for one like to at least "think" I am neutral, seeing as I truly adore both franchises. I actually enjoyed AVPR but that doesn't mean that I could not notice the fact that movie was a serious let done. One that I can clearly admit to the Alien fan boys .....are the Aliens just like zombies now or something? They might as well have been...I know Wolf was supposed to be some sort of Elite pred but some of the things he done were flat out ridiculous and beyond belief. I could of dealt with him scoop slamming a Alien once or twice as long as he saw it coming...but that holding two aliens by the neck is just...doesn't seem right.

I was under the impression that the Predators hunted the Aliens for a reason....they were the ultimate biological weapon. Fast, powerful, lacking morality or fear yet capable of problem solving intelligence...
That being said...I do not believe a Alien is obviously going to man handle a Predator...at least not nearly as easily as it would a human being. They are supposed to be roughly the same size other then the tail unless you consider ADI's midget Aliens the real deal...

The series should of never left space honestly...Predators on earth? They are nomadic big game hunters.....We can believe that....Aliens on earth?....not so much. There are plenty of things on earth that can tear a human being to shreds and we all fear. Space...regardless of how many planets actually have life is for the most part cold and dead. It was kind of the entire idea about even in space there were things creeping in the dark hunting you that wanted to gut your face IMO. K done...

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

How can ANYONE like Anderson's movie more. I FU*KING HATE PAUL ANDERSON. Franchise ruiner.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Paul Anderson's a good director. Just a shitty script-writer.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 02, 2010, 12:40:56 PM

Fair enough. He still blows. Look what he did to Resident Evil and AVP. Enough to make me vomit.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 02, 2010, 12:40:56 PM

And he's a self-admitted Alien fanboy, which didn't help his movie much.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Even though his movie was still 1000 times more balanced than AvP:R.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Mittens here has stumbled upon that funny little thing here.

When an Alien fanboy is in charge, the battles are balanced, tense and interesting, but there are still parts where Aliens in superior numbers still get slaughtered wholesale by Predators. If that's fanboyism, then I think a lot of Predfans are ignoring Alien canon where even a single Alien is a massive deal.

When Predator fanboys were in charge, we got a series of boring, tensionless action sequences that failed to adequately represent either creature. For goodness' sake, at least Anderson was mindful enough of the Predator's theme and abilities to give it the Queen head-impalement shot.

I don't really mean to point any fingers (because I'm not), I'm just pointing out my observations.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 02, 2010, 11:54:27 PM

When an Alien fanboy is in charge, the battles are balanced, tense and interesting, but there are still parts where Aliens in superior numbers still get slaughtered wholesale by Predators. If that's fanboyism, then I think a lot of Predfans are ignoring Alien canon where even a single Alien is a massive deal.

Watching Chopper eing lifted by a magic 3 meter tail and being throw like a piece a sh*t  by a normal alien isnt fair.
There was just 1 fight and it consisted in a stupid wrestle battle that could have ended quickly if Celtic just used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in several moments that he could, and I dont think we can consider the last ''battle'' really a AvP battle because it is more a Lex vs Alien queen fight.

And a lot of alien fans are ignoring Aliens that showed dozens of aliens being killed like nothing... even Ripley killed about 5 aliens and the Queen! But when a predator do something like that they refuse to accept... anyway you can blame James, he was the person who turned the ALIEN in some stupid space bug.

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 02, 2010, 11:54:27 PM

When Predator fanboys were in charge, we got a series of boring, tensionless action sequences that failed to adequately represent either creature. For goodness' sake, at least Anderson was mindful enough of the Predator's theme and abilities to give it the Queen head-impalement shot.

Maybe for you but I thought that fights were fine, not perfect but after AvP its better than nothing

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Fleshtrap666 on Feb 02, 2010, 07:50:16 AM
I think it's just fitting that AVP:R was a bit of a slap to the face of Alien fanboys...

I didn't see it as that so much as a slap to the face of cinema fans. I saw this movie before I was a fan of the Alien franchise, and even then it was either incredibly boring, painful to watch, or unintentionally hilarious to me. Now that I like the Alien series a lot, it's even more painful for me to view this film.

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 03, 2010, 12:24:28 AM
And a lot of alien fans are ignoring Aliens that showed dozens of aliens being killed like nothing... even Ripley killed about 5 aliens and the Queen! But when a predator do something like that they refuse to accept... anyway you can blame James, he was the person who turned the ALIEN in some stupid space bug.

I wouldn't exactly call being shot by 9 or 10mm (I can't remember which it was) explosive tipped armour piercing rounds or the ammunition used by a massive gun that is considered "smart" and can track targets nothing. Even then, some of the pulse rifle rounds still ricocheted and deflected off. However, I would call being man-handled by a Predator (Wolf*) that constantly left his flanks open for attack, that chose to use certain weapons in situations that they weren't optimum for, and who generally sucked-ass as far as Predators go, nothing.

*God, I really hate how they shoehorned a Pulp Fiction reference into this film.

SiL

SiL

There was just 1 fight and it consisted in a stupid wrestle battle that could have ended quickly if Celtic just used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in several moments that he could,
His spear was stuck in Max, Alien may well have dodged the shuriken (they dodged the shoulder cannon), and it used the last two when it had the chance. It just got cocky - like all other Predators before it.

QuoteAnd a lot of alien fans are ignoring Aliens that showed dozens of aliens being killed like nothing... even Ripley killed about 5 aliens and the Queen! But when a predator do something like that they refuse to accept... anyway you can blame James, he was the person who turned the ALIEN in some stupid space bug.
Aliens being shot down at long-distance by futuristic weaponry.

Not trod on by a marine in arm's reach.

Huge f**king difference. No-one ever bitches about Predators shooting Aliens.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Watching Chopper eing lifted by a magic 3 meter tail and being throw like a piece a sh*t  by a normal alien isnt fair.
There was just 1 fight and it consisted in a stupid wrestle battle that could have ended quickly if Celtic just used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in several moments that he could, and I dont think we can consider the last ''battle'' really a AvP battle because it is more a Lex vs Alien queen fight.

It says a lot about where this franchise has gone that we can consider a 'normal' Alien weak and unworthy of fighting a Predator. We're so steeped in our escapist interest that something that can't exist can be considered normal despite the fact that it bleeds acid, arguably touches on ESP, can break through steel doors and can remain unscathed after passing through the plasma engines of a spacecraft.

Either way a 'normal' Alien is a match for any Predator if you look at the Alien movies themselves and note the strengths of the Xenomorph instead of noting when they get shot.

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 03, 2010, 12:24:28 AMAnd a lot of alien fans are ignoring Aliens that showed dozens of aliens being killed like nothing... even Ripley killed about 5 aliens and the Queen! But when a predator do something like that they refuse to accept... anyway you can blame James, he was the person who turned the ALIEN in some stupid space bug.

James was the one that showcased them bashing through steel doors, understanding human technology effectively enough to sabotage it and taking shots from a pistol and just not caring. It was the comics that did the damage, and the mindset of the Aliens comics is reflected in the AvP comics, too. This carries on through to the rest of the AvP franchise, unfortunately.

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 03, 2010, 12:24:28 AMMaybe for you but I thought that fights were fine, not perfect but after AvP its better than nothing

AvP's two fight scenes were good. I'll take quality over quantity anyday. The AvPR ones weren't just awfully executed, but lacked tension because you knew what the outcome would be.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

The long tail goof means nothing. Lower the platform and the same result would have been had. Gill didn't know he was there and that death was perfectly acceptable.

QuoteThere was just 1 fight and it consisted in a stupid wrestle battle that could have ended quickly if Celtic just used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in several moments that he could, and I dont think we can consider the last ''battle'' really a AvP battle because it is more a Lex vs Alien queen fight.

Didn't have its spear, did use the netgun and the dagger. Hell, even the fact that the pred did that well against an alien in straight melee is remarkable.

QuoteAnd a lot of alien fans are ignoring Aliens that showed dozens of aliens being killed like nothing... even Ripley killed about 5 aliens and the Queen! But when a predator do something like that they refuse to accept... anyway you can blame James, he was the person who turned the ALIEN in some stupid space bug.

They were resistant to (as in, many bounced off) 10mm explosive tipped light armor piercing rounds fired at very close range (within 10 meters) and busting down inches thick steel doors as if they were nothing. Also, there isn't an alien fan here that has a problem with a pred killing aliens as long as its done with respect to the source material. Wolf waltzed though the aliens and only lived because the aliens were made extremely weak and stupid. Hell, as I pred fan I was mad that I didn't get to see an elite pred, just a stupid one that got extremely lucky.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2010, 12:54:54 AM

His spear was stuck in Max, Alien may well have dodged the shuriken (they dodged the shoulder cannon), and it used the last two when it had the chance. It just got cocky - like all other Predators before it.

Then he just had to take the spear off... he had many chances like after he cutted off Grid's tail, the alien hasn't even paying attenction but instead of just killing him he decided to go wrestle!!! Cocky? Paul Anderson just wanted a excuse to kill the poor pred

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2010, 12:54:54 AM

Huge f**king difference. No-one ever bitches about Predators shooting Aliens.

Most of the aliens were killed by Wolf's plasma casters in AvP-R but still everybody bitches about it

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 03, 2010, 01:35:37 AM

It says a lot about where this franchise has gone that we can consider a 'normal' Alien weak and unworthy of fighting a Predator. We're so steeped in our escapist interest that something that can't exist can be considered normal despite the fact that it bleeds acid, arguably touches on ESP, can break through steel doors and can remain unscathed after passing through the plasma engines of a spacecraft.

Either way a 'normal' Alien is a match for any Predator if you look at the Alien movies themselves and note the strengths of the Xenomorph instead of noting when they get shot.

The problem isnt that the alien killed him... but that he lifted and throwed him like nothing, sorry but I can see a alien doing that a human but a predator? Its just as bad as having Wolf holding those 2 aliens by the neck

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 03, 2010, 01:35:37 AM
AvP's two fight scenes were good. I'll take quality over quantity anyday. The AvPR ones weren't just awfully executed, but lacked tension because you knew what the outcome would be.

Like I said maybe for you but I enjoyed them more, you dont have to agree with me.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 03, 2010, 01:40:18 AM

The long tail goof means nothing. Lower the platform and the same result would have been had. Gill didn't know he was there and that death was perfectly acceptable.

Maybe if it was this way, but if you take look in the originals... the aliens's tails were never ''spear like'' and they never used to stab people(except the queen) but its not a big deal

Didn't have its spear, did use the netgun and the dagger. Hell, even the fact that the pred did that well against an alien in straight melee is remarkable.

The spear was next to him...and he could have used the netgun and dagger many times instead of wrestling with the alien

They were resistant to (as in, many bounced off) 10mm explosive tipped light armor piercing rounds fired at very close range (within 10 meters) and busting down inches thick steel doors as if they were nothing. Also, there isn't an alien fan here that has a problem with a pred killing aliens as long as its done with respect to the source material. Wolf waltzed though the aliens and only lived because the aliens were made extremely weak and stupid. Hell, as I pred fan I was mad that I didn't get to see an elite pred, just a stupid one that got extremely lucky.

Most of the aliens that were killed by Wold died by his plama casters.... but I agree the aliens were stupid in some scenes

Fleshtrap666

Fleshtrap666

Sure alot of Aliens got killed in Aliens, but they were also going up against trained soldiers with serious fire power...and were still almost completely annihilated save for Bishop "who isn't even human..and still torn in half by the end of the movie", Hicks "pretty much crippled from burns", Newt "Luckiest bitch alive", and Ripley who at that point and time knows more about the Xeno's then most people cared too..even though that did little to help her situation when you really think about it.

I think the whole Elite Predator thing would of worked much better if they at least made it seem like he had his hands full. If a Predator had enough experience hunting Aliens like Wolf was supposed to have had...he very well could have survived an Alien attack...but that doesn't mean it should of been easy....You never even once got the impression that he was even breaking a sweat. The action scenes should of been fast paced and hectic because he should of been being attacked from all angles with only fractions of a second to respond to each Alien. Every move he made should of resulted in a crippling blow that would at least knock an alien back, or a kill. That spear could be the perfect weapon for at least keeping Aliens at bay. But apparently it's too much to ask for a Predator to move even remotely as fast as humans obviously can and actually fight with the damned spear instead of just stabbing with it.

He just seemed WAY to eager to get right in the Aliens face which should of been the last place he wanted to be... That sewer fight scene could of been the greatest sci-fi battle scene in recent history and it ended as a dud.

Either way rather he fought like he should have, or in the way it actually turned out in the movie.....he should have been seriously hurt in the end of that fight. Doesn't mean he had to get killed, but he should of at least caught a tail through the shoulder or a claw across his obviously unarmored stomach. He should of been more of the "Takes a serious beating, but still somehow comes out on top" type than the "I can do this all day" type.

Sorry, done writing novels this is all of course IMO.

DarthJones

DarthJones

AVPR since I'm more of a Predator fan & honestly it's action was way better than AVP. AVP was a boring, dumb movie. AVPR was dumb, but it had some cool scenes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed