Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,586 times)

War Wager

War Wager

Quite a way with words. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 05, 2009, 12:36:45 AM
AvP was a shitty excuse for a Alien/Predator movie, but as a stand-alone sci-fi horror adventure flick it was pretty aight and had its moments even though they were few. Anderson might not be Mr. Kurosawa, Kislowski or a Bergman, but he does at least know the fundamentals of basic movie making. AvP:R is just pure dreck! Sure, it had some fun gore effects and Wolf was such brawny macho retard that the testosterone in my shriveled kiwis started pumping caveman juice right into my system - strike another pose Wolfie Boy, bully another Bubbamorph, yeah! But as a movie it was beyond suckage since it wasn't really a movie. They must have edited that thing with a rusty lawnmower and buckets of festering bacon grease, because it had nothing - nothing! It is as if the brothers had no clue what they were doing  ::)  ...The dialogue was badly written and badly delivered (and not in a cheesy kind of way - it was just bad-bad). The action lagged, was badly timed and since the lighting was non-.... Ah, crap you've heard it a billion times before. We all know that AvP:R sucks, no need to kick this mangled horse carcass any longer.

AvP was the furthest thing possible from sci-fi horror. It didn't even have suspense, never mind horror.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: The Demon on Jun 04, 2009, 05:07:13 PM
AvPr had better action, creatures looked more from their origins, although the Aliens were poorly portrayed. And of course the notorious darkness issue. even with that, I'd rather see that than AvP.

AVPR consisted of about five 30 second Alien beatings. At least AVP had one real mano a mano fight.

Chaotic-Strike

Chaotic-Strike

Since I expected little to no story, I tried to enjoy Requiem for what it was a cheap vs movie. But the thing is throughout the movie I kept wondering where the actual versus was. In that regard I would rank AvP higher than AvPR but that isn't saying much.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jun 05, 2009, 05:24:29 AM
Quote from: The Demon on Jun 04, 2009, 05:07:13 PM
AvPr had better action, creatures looked more from their origins, although the Aliens were poorly portrayed. And of course the notorious darkness issue. even with that, I'd rather see that than AvP.

AVPR consisted of about five 30 second Alien beatings. At least AVP had one real mano a mano fight.

Only one, and it was a wrestling match. Wasn't that much better.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 05, 2009, 03:47:26 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 05, 2009, 12:36:45 AM
AvP was a shitty excuse for a Alien/Predator movie, but as a stand-alone sci-fi horror adventure flick it was pretty aight and had its moments even though they were few. Anderson might not be Mr. Kurosawa, Kislowski or a Bergman, but he does at least know the fundamentals of basic movie making. AvP:R is just pure dreck! Sure, it had some fun gore effects and Wolf was such brawny macho retard that the testosterone in my shriveled kiwis started pumping caveman juice right into my system - strike another pose Wolfie Boy, bully another Bubbamorph, yeah! But as a movie it was beyond suckage since it wasn't really a movie. They must have edited that thing with a rusty lawnmower and buckets of festering bacon grease, because it had nothing - nothing! It is as if the brothers had no clue what they were doing  ::)  ...The dialogue was badly written and badly delivered (and not in a cheesy kind of way - it was just bad-bad). The action lagged, was badly timed and since the lighting was non-.... Ah, crap you've heard it a billion times before. We all know that AvP:R sucks, no need to kick this mangled horse carcass any longer.

AvP was the furthest thing possible from sci-fi horror. It didn't even have suspense, never mind horror.

I'll agree AvP wasn't a horror film but it did a real good job creating atmosphere, even if it fell just short of suspense. That being said - AvP: R also lacked horror and certainly lacked suspense, much more so than AvP. The entire movie was rushed... a perfect example of where suspense could have been built-up is the National Guard sequence but as soon as their feet hit the ground they were picked off one-by-one.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

True that. Even so, I kind of found the somewhat claustrophobic temple scenes a little scary... but yeah, horror it is not.

War Wager

War Wager

It tried. It failed.

Which is more than can be said for AvP:R.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 05, 2009, 09:42:53 PM

True that. Even so, I kind of found the somewhat claustrophobic temple scenes a little scary... but yeah, horror it is not.

Again, more irritating than anything else. Dark hallways, sporadic camera movement, and more of just 'people running away'.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 06, 2009, 05:46:10 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 05, 2009, 09:42:53 PM

Again, more irritating than anything else. Dark hallways, sporadic camera movement, and more of just 'people running away'.

Well, compared to the original four Alien movies it did stand short, at least in comparison. But as a standalone sci-fi monster adventure movie, I do think it had its qualities. Even though Anderson really didn't utilize even 20% of the potential of the Rubik's Cube Pyramid/Temple idea and concept, I still found some of the scenes moderately claustrophobic and not annoying (even though the camera work was very inconsistent and sometimes even embarrassingly non sequitur and almost opportunistic, such as the bullet-time Facehugger shot). However, what I did found annoying though was the weak and unrealistic dialogue and the absence of human blood/gore (and I'm absolutely NOT one of those who think that blood/gore = great movie), which kind of killed the mood and atmosphere in AvP. And by the way - I LIKE it when people run away from Aliens and Predators, because that's how it's supposed to be!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

But when the film is 90% of people running blindly in dark corridors, it gets freaking old very quickly. Boring too, as I said.

Chris P

Chris P

WIth this post, I am at 1000 POSTS!  ;D  Celebrate!

Or not..... Back on topic. AVP was a better film in all regards. AVP-R sucked bricks.

cab12394

cab12394

AVP-R is a film I can watch over and over (more action, ect.) However, as far as film quality goes, the first alien vs predator is probably better.(better acting, special effects, ect.)
So it just depends on how you look at it.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Uggg... I reckon I can only get one more viewing out of Requiem. And it'll probably be with the commentary turned on.

Zwecky

Zwecky

Avp

Being able to see what's going on>Not being able to see what's going on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed