Movies that have ruined careers of actors and directors

Started by Ratchetcomand, Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AM

Author
Movies that have ruined careers of actors and directors (Read 9,112 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

What are some movies that you think have killed or almost destroy the person career? You know movies that were so bad the actors or directors never recovered from them. Just think of actors or directors you haven't seen in a while. Got the idea from a news article from today

My picks would be:

Actors:

Al Pacino - 88 Minutes (2008)
Christopher Lambert - The Highlander sequels (1991, 1994, 2000)
Christian Slater - Alone in the Dark (2005)
Chris O'Donnell - Batman & Robin (1997)
Eddie Murphy - The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002)
Jake Lloyd - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Jean-Claude Van Damme - Universal Solider: The Return (1999)
John Travolta - Battlefield: Earth (2000)
Kevin Costner - Waterworld (1995) and The Postman (1997)
Lance Henriksen - Alien vs. Predator (2004)
Lindsay Lohan - I Know Who Killed Me (2007)
Matthew Broderick - Godzilla (1998) and Inspector Gadget (1999)
Martin Sheen - Spawn (1997)
Megan Fox - Johan Hex (2010)
Pauly Shore - Bio-Dome (1996)
Steven Seagal - Half Past Dead (2002)
Tom Green - Freddy Got Fingered (2001)
Wesley Snipes - Blade: Trinity (2004)

Directors:

Harold Ramis - Year One (2009)
Gary Goldman - Titan A.E (2000)
John Carpenter - Ghost of Mars (2001)
John McTiernan - Rollerball (2002)
Kensho Yamashita - Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
M. Night Shyamalan - The Last Airbender (2010, hopefully)
Peter Hyams - A Sound of Thunder (2005)
Simon Wells - Mars Needs Moms (2011)
Wachowski brothers - Speed Racer (2008)
Wes Craven - My Soul to Take (2010, almost)

Shasvre

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AMKevin Costner - Waterworld (1995) and The Postman (1997)

Can't agree with this one, Costner has done some good stuff since then (Mr. Brooks, Open Range) and is set to star in Man of Steel. And c'mon, Waterworld was fun, not bad. :laugh:

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AMChris O'Donnell - Batman & Robin (1997)
Jake Lloyd - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Did any of these have much of a career to begin with?

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I think Man of Steel will help Kevin Costner back up on his feet again. I was hoping that Skyline would ruined the BS career but it looks like it didn't. I think I forgot to mention Billy Zane, he just stars in crap like BloodRayne (2006) and The Roommate (2011) now.

Space Sweeper

Vulhala

AvP:R killed the career of everyone in it before they'd even started. Your average SyFy flick has better acting than that.

TJ Doc

The Sheriff guy got to play a villian in Fast & Furious, but beyond him yeah.  :D

And Lance Guest didn't do much movie work after Jaws: The Revenge. Yet strangely, Mario Van Peebles' film career managed to survive that and a Highlander sequel.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AM
Steven Seagal - Half Past Dead (2002)

The Lord's fall can be traced all the way back to 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD_6_jFB8A#ws

With that, his Golden Age was finished, and there'd only be time for an Under Seige sequel before it was all just about over.

But Michael Caine has survived some crap, hasn't he?

Remonster

Quote from: Vulhala on Jun 25, 2011, 11:47:35 AM
AvP:R killed the career of everyone in it before they'd even started. Your average SyFy flick has better acting than that.

The guy from Rescue Me is still doing fine, but everyone else got screwed.

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

There's also:

Lorraine Gary - Jaws: The Revenge
Kurt Russell - Death Proof
Sean Connery - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

TheMonolith

Connery's career wasn't killed. He just decided to retire after that because that shoot was a nightmare.

Suprised no one mentioned Batman and Robin yet.
Schumacher needed a long time to recover from that mess, and it still follows him around.

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jun 25, 2011, 11:54:48 AM
But Michael Caine has survived some crap, hasn't he?
Caine has survived a lot of shit. A LOT of shit.
Like The Swarm, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, the Get Carter Remake. His career seemed to be 50/50.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Matthew Broderick - Godzilla (1998) and Inspector Gadget (1999)
Respectfully disagree. Matthew Broderick has been in a tonload of stuff even after 1999 - including the nice The Producers. His career hasn't been taken down at all. He's listed in two more movies coming up, mind you.

John Carpenter - Ghost of Mars (2001)
Yes, unfortunately. Poor guy.

Al Pacino - 88 Minutes (2008)
M. Night Shyamalan - The Last Airbender (2010, hopefully)
Simon Wells - Mars Needs Moms (2011)
Wachowski brothers - Speed Racer (2008)
Wes Craven - My Soul to Take (2010, almost)
About those I'll ask a question. How can you say those are 'career-killing' movies if they came either this year, the last - or three years ago? We need more... years to judge whether those have killed their career or not, don't you think?

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

^Those movies where major flops and I doubt we will see Simmon Wells and M. Night doing any more movies for a while.

QuoteMatthew Broderick has been in a tonload of stuff even after 1999 -

The last major movie I seen him was "Deck the Halls" back in 2006. He did not do anything major after those last two movies.

QuoteSuprised no one mentioned Batman and Robin yet.

I did. I think Robocop 3 (1993) practically killed Fred Dekker career.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:37:30 PM
^Those movies where major flops and I doubt we will see Simmon Wells and M. Night doing any more movies for a while.
Dune's lackluster box office didn't stop David Lynch from making movies. After Dune, he made Blue Velvet and a load of other movies.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:37:30 PM
The last major movie I seen him was "Deck the Halls" back in 2006. He did not do anything major after those last two movies.
Fact that you didn't see him in anything past that doesn't really disprove that he keeps getting a lot of jobs.
And if he made Deck the Halls and then nothing, as you say - wouldn't that be his 'downfall'? Between that and Inspector Gadget (or Godzilla, for that matter) he has been in 7 movies. :P

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

That is very true. A flop doesn't really kill a career. it seesm that everyone in the movie business has done at least one stinker.
I think the reason we have not seen Snipes is because of the tax evasion thing.
Some of these things didn't really kill careers. A career killer, at least in my mind, is when an actor cannot get rolls or a director cannot get jobs afterwards.
When an actor or director retires or is held up for reasons such as personal problems and criminal charges, that is different. Just the luck of the draw that they did a stinker before they left.
I am sure if Connery had not retired after League, he would still be doing good films.

King Rathalos

Troll 2 - Everyone involved except for the fly.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Speaking of career-ruining movies, I think Jan de Bont only did the second Tomb Raider after Haunting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed