Silent Hill

Started by Mystic Lemons, Dec 10, 2006, 02:28:04 PM

Author
Silent Hill (Read 71,593 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Man I love Silent Hill so much, it's a pity the HD Collection is such trash and then Silent Hills is cancelled.
1 and especially 2 & 3 -masterpieces, The Room, Origins and Shattered Memories- decent, the rest is sadly pretty awful.

Stitch

Stitch

I played through (almost) the whole series relatively recently. Great games. I always preferred Resident Evil, though.

The Old One

The Old One

I always found that franchise ridiculous, and therefore not really horrific at all. And I prefer the physiological most of the time.

PredBabe

PredBabe

The Resident Evil games are pure entertainment with its iconic characters. Plus the series sort of kick started the survival horror genre in gaming and is worthy of its success. It's obvious Team Silent took some inspiration from it too.

The Silent Hill series obviously made a name for itself with the fact that developers took things a step further with the psychological horror. The first 4 titles are definitely the strongest. I'd say SH4 is my favorite, with SH2 and SH3 closely behind it.

But I also really like Silent Hill Homecoming quite a bit. It is flawed but I liked the concept and really love the idea of the "hospital" ending being the true ending. Kind of like Shutter Island in the sense that we can't trust what is true and what is not for the main character.

Downpour had some good bits but was lacking in creativity. Shame because they could have really made it dark and twisted with a prisoner as the leading character.

Stitch

Stitch

4 and Downpour are actually the ones I didn't play. Well, other than The Arcade and Book of Memories, which I've heard are utter trash.

Might have to pick them up.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm very aware of RE's history, and I know nearly everything about the series due to the SBFP Channel, regardless I don't like it. SH is my thing though, only voice acting to cause tears.

Predboy

Predboy

I love Silent Hill. I still remember getting scared sh*tless from playing the first three. The school in the first game and the prison in the second were so haunting for me, and I still remember running around like a headless chicken when I stepped into that mirror room in the third game. I never played anything after the third game though.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 12, 2019, 11:45:05 AM
I'm very aware of RE's history, and I know nearly everything about the series due to the SBFP Channel, regardless I don't like it. SH is my thing though, only voice acting to cause tears.

It's not your 'cup of tea' and that's fine, but a lot of that series' horror comes from actually playing the games. It's an experience when you're running low on ammo and have multiple monsters coming at you. The older installments are  outdated but the remakes are solid games. REmake 2 is especially full of intensely scary moments.

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 12, 2019, 08:29:26 AM
4 and Downpour are actually the ones I didn't play. Well, other than The Arcade and Book of Memories, which I've heard are utter trash.

Might have to pick them up.

I'd say give them a try if you can!

I know there's a bit of a divide in what fans think of SH4. It's one of those where you love it or hate it. It does get repetitive but I think it has one of the strongest stories out of the series.

It was years after the release when I played through Downpour but I remember thinking it was fun to kill time with some neat concepts. I think it's the weakest of the series. The only SH game I've yet to play is Shattered Memories... also missed out on playing P.T.  :(

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Downpour is one I have a special fondness for. It was the last time I was hyped for a Silent Hill game, and I generally enjoyed the story and the feel of it. The enemies were meh and the lag was awful, though. I'd personally call Origins the weakest, because my main enjoyment comes from Travis being a goof and the option to play through it while wearing a dog suit. :laugh:

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 12, 2019, 07:42:53 PM
Downpour is one I have a special fondness for. It was the last time I was hyped for a Silent Hill game, and I generally enjoyed the story and the feel of it. The enemies were meh and the lag was awful, though. I'd personally call Origins the weakest, because my main enjoyment comes from Travis being a goof and the option to play through it while wearing a dog suit. :laugh:

I forgot about the LAGGGGGGGG!

The Old One

The Old One

The best thing about Downpour, Homecoming and the HD Collection is we got the SBFP out of them.

Kimo

Kimo

Hated that Downpour never had inverted Y axis in the options it was painful playing that game when being hardwired to play my games Inverted thanks to playing old school games.

The Old One

The Old One

Understandable but I think it's painful to play regardless.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Old One

The Old One

"It's bread."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed