Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,014 times)

[cancerblack]

I genuinely don't get the "can't see shit" memes, I've only ever had trouble seeing things on pirate copies. Cinematic and legit home media copies are dimly lit, sure, but you can pick the various creatures and characters out just fine.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, it just looks awful.

426Buddy

Yeah... its only too dark if you compare it to any other professionally lit film.

SM

I watched a bit of it last night and within seconds you have a shot of the PredAlien (may its name by forever cursed) sloughing off its skin.  Or at least I assume that's what's going on.  For a casual punter it's a few seconds of 'what?'

P-Rock

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 13, 2019, 12:36:40 PM
Yeah... its only too dark if you compare it to any other professionally lit film.

I've seen a lot of low(er) budget sci-fi horror movies that had a hell of a lot better lighting than AVP-R.

SM

It's the grading rather than the lighting.

[cancerblack]

I'm not claiming it looks good, but you can definitely see 95% of things just fine, and where you can't, it's the editing and grading as much as it is the lighting.

It's done badly, but people exaggerate just how badly for comedic effect and believe their own jokes. The bit SM mentions during the opening on the Pred ship is probably the worst offender over all - most of the rest of the film just looks like shit but is entirely legible.

SM

From the scene where the homeless people get attacked in the sewer onward many scenes have a generally feeling of murk about them - even when you can see what's going on; like Molly's bedroom playing with her night vision goggles.  The arrival of the Predator and sewer scenes I think also suffer from bad lighting as well as grading.  Some shots that could've looked great if properly lit, just look like vague black shapes with a few highlights.

P-Rock

When even the daylight scenes look murky, you know you're in trouble.

SM

Like when it seems to be full night outside in Rickey' first scene in the pizza shop - but the scenes either side are still daylight.

Kradan

The argument "AVP:R so damn dark WTF " will never die

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe because it's true?

Kradan

Never doubt that

SM

After hearing that it's supposed to by fine on Blu-ray I wondered if I'd ever watched it on Blu-ray on a TV rather than a computer screen.

So I started watching it and remembered I had watched it on TV years ago, and it's far from fine.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Isn't there programs that allow you alter stuff like grading and brightness on a video file? Who is taking one for the team? Over 10 years and no fan edit to fix it? Are we all casuals?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed