Predator experience issue.

Started by (Bad Blood), Jan 17, 2024, 04:35:51 AM

Author
Predator experience issue. (Read 1,628 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Hello friends! I wanted to discuss something that has been bothering me for some time. That would be, how on earth are Predators ever losing to any human in any fight ever? The average Yautja/Predator is 560 pounds and 7'8" tall, has strength level of around 2-5 tons, can jump upwards of 30 feet and land twice that height on their feet safely. They have far more advanced weaponry that can turn a man into paste and can run faster than eyes can follow and dodge bullets. Lastly and most important to me is their experience. These beings become full grown adults by age 50-60 in human years and can live a thousand or more years. So unlike baby Yoda here he is not stuck in a developmental stage for hundreds of years but is fully grown and capable, meaning something such as a predator is constantly training and fighting all its existence and should have literal hundreds of years or multiple human lifetimes of experience above even the most well trained and fit man alive who at most has a couple decades of training. The predator should never ever loose and have it make sense with this information but somehow does every single time? lol. Though still it is just my opinion and would love to hear your thoughts!

SiL

SiL

I mean they clearly can't dodge bullets, they've been shot in every movie.

But the thing you're completely leaving out is they have personalities. And those personalities are arrogant, egotistical.

Every Predator we see die in a movie pretty much does so because of its own hubris.

Jungle Hunter got distracted with the taste of victory. City Hunter savoured a kill he hadn't earned yet. This was then repeated with Chopper and Celtic, and Scar kind of blended the two - he was so busy savouring an actual kill he let his guard down.

The guy with the tusks in Predators got caught by a trap; Falconer got himself into a duel where size and strength didn't really matter and lost. Mr Black got distracted.

Feral is the best example of this. He's so sure he's invincible because nothing has really hurt him all movie and so he falls into a trap because he has had no reason to take these human things seriously.

So they're bigger and tougher and older, sure, but they're also cocky bastards and that gets them every. Single. Time.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SiL on Jan 17, 2024, 05:42:04 AMI mean they clearly can't dodge bullets, they've been shot in every movie.

But the thing you're completely leaving out is they have personalities. And those personalities are arrogant, egotistical.

Every Predator we see die in a movie pretty much does so because of its own hubris.

Jungle Hunter got distracted with the taste of victory. City Hunter savoured a kill he hadn't earned yet. This was then repeated with Chopper and Celtic, and Scar kind of blended the two - he was so busy savouring an actual kill he let his guard down.

The guy with the tusks in Predators got caught by a trap; Falconer got himself into a duel where size and strength didn't really matter and lost. Mr Black got distracted.

Feral is the best example of this. He's so sure he's invincible because nothing has really hurt him all movie and so he falls into a trap because he has had no reason to take these human things seriously.

So they're bigger and tougher and older, sure, but they're also cocky bastards and that gets them every. Single. Time.
The dodging bullets is mostly in the comics and kind of? in predator 1987. However yes they do take shots too often for that feat to make sense. Also I actually agree with you on all points, I didn't really think about how their personality and temperament plays a definitive part in their downfall in basically every situation. Though I guess I don't give credit where credit is due, most of the humans die by their hands in every film before they meet their end. Also thinking on it, those instances are just one of probably thousands of hunts and battles they have been in before that point.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I'm sure there might be some more level-headed Predators out there somewhere, but it probably wouldn't make for an interesting movie. :laugh:

Hell, even Wolf, who wasn't there to hunt but was a "clean up guy," had to start showboating at every turn instead of just getting his job done.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 17, 2024, 05:57:19 AMI'm sure there might be some more level-headed Predators out there somewhere, but it probably wouldn't make for an interesting movie. :laugh:
"The Predator came down and killed everybody and there was nothing anyone could do the end".

I think Predators had an opportunity to make that satisfying, actually; if Mr Black was competent and Royce stayed back to occupy him while Isabelle escaped on the ship, they could've had a Predator winning and a satisfying ending.

But yeah we've seen level headed Predators twice; Greyback in Predator 2 and the Elder in AvP 😂

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

What are you talking about? They win all the time... Up until that one human at the end.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 17, 2024, 08:42:56 AMWhat are you talking about? They win all the time... Up until that one human at the end.
Very true, I just wish there was a single film where they just walk away at the end.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jan 17, 2024, 10:04:32 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 17, 2024, 08:42:56 AMWhat are you talking about? They win all the time... Up until that one human at the end.
Very true, I just wish there was a single film where they just walk away at the end.
Honestly, I want a recurring Predator character.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 17, 2024, 11:35:43 AM
Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jan 17, 2024, 10:04:32 AM
Honestly, I want a recurring Predator character.
That right there is what I would love to see happen in any media outside the comics.

RoguePred1987

they're greatest weakness is their confidence, maybe better described as their arrogance.

Wweyland

Wweyland

At least they (mostly) win in the games.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 18, 2024, 12:58:00 PMAt least they (mostly) win in the games.
That's true, we have at least that much. Several times in the comics such as Ahab and I'm not even entirely sure the Bad Blood is dead or if he was unconscious as the other predators surrounded his body at the end.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

We also got to remember that OWLF stated that the Predator race have been hunting humans for a long time, with the writers of P2 even saying at least +800 years, and the addition of PHG stating even longer if the Predator trophies are any indication as we have a Prehistoric Knife that seems like it goes back to the ends of the Ice Age, so all these films are just the ones where humans came out victorious. Wouldn't hurt to have a dark bittersweet twist ending of a Predator completing it's hunt and the only reason why one of the human characters survived is because they were the only ones unarmed throughout the film.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I guess really it's unfortunately the same for nearly every movie creature. Even in all of the alien films the xenomorph is always defeated despite being the perfect organism with superior physical abilities.

SiL

SiL

You put an awful lot of weight on physical capabilities when it's routinely the point of both franchises that it's our human intellect, quick-thinking and ingenuity that saves us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed