Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 26, 2017, 06:24:19 PM

Author
Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books! (Read 53,460 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I'm all for an extended universe extrapolation when it's appropriate but I don't think it is.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 29, 2019, 10:52:52 AM
I'll just stick to the film :P
Well I mean, that's what I'm trying to do. :P Stick with what the film gives us, but with the new knowledge that there's a third bed.

I mean, I didn't write the book - I like the change and think it's a novel idea, but I'm sure Graham can offer some insight.

Kane's other son

My understanding was always that two would get in the freezers and the third one would draw the short straw, stay awake and hope the network would pick them up before life support petered out. It was a desperate move, following Ash pretty much telling them they can't kill the alien.

SM

I think that was pretty much everyone's understanding.

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Ha! Okay, let's go.
First, put all of that aside; you've all had forty years to think about it and develop your own understanding and assumptions about what went down during those final, desperate scenes of the characters involved (as have I). Focus on exactly what is said in the movie, and what we see, absolutely nothing else. Tune all that out and disregard everything you read in the novel or the script.

Ripley, Lambert and Parker, up until Ash's deception is found out, are going to try to follow the plan of Dallas, which involves cornering the Alien and flushing it into space. Parker goes down to C-Deck to refuel a flamethrower, and does so without incident. The shit hits the fan however when Ash tries to choke Ripley. After that point and when Ash tells them they can't kill it, the situation becomes increasingly desperate. They now have no choice but to go and try to escape via the shuttle.

The three crewmembers are on B-Deck, walking hurriedly to the Narcissus. Ripley says 'We're going to need coolant for the air support system'.
That's all that is said about that; Lambert and Parker then go down to C-Deck to go get the coolant. In the Narcissus, we see two cryotubes, but there is never any indication that aren't more, though it is implied there are no more than three, as Ripley says that the shuttle can't take four.
Now beyond that, any thoughts about it, understandings or assumptions on what happened have been left to the viewer to develop and think about.

In both the script and the novel, the Nostromo is running out of air, and the remaining crew make the decision to collect the air cylinders and food supplies and get off the ship, taking any remaining air with them. So, it's different to the movie in that respect but regardless, my book is about the movie only.

So all that said, here are the thoughts I have about what happened and how I interpreted them for the book.
The crew was desperate, and knew they were ten months to reach Earth based on information from Lambert earlier in the movie and this is if they stay on the Nostromo with the speed and route they are going. On the Narcissus, who knows - they don't know how long they will be out there. They are acting purely on hope they will be picked up by the network, though at least one of them knows they are about six weeks from the frontier. With this huge 'unknown' hanging over them, it makes sense that if they have the choice of having more coolant as a 'just in case', if it were me, I'd go for the coolant. After all, Parker went down to C-Deck earlier without incident, right? So the risk may be worth it and asleep in a cryotube or not, it just makes sense to have the cylinders on-hand.

So that's one. I didn't think any more about what coolant the Narcissus had already, what exactly it was used for or go into any other reason why they needed the additional. All that is up to the viewer of the movie and it sounds, like me, like you all have your own thoughts based on and expanding upon what the movie explicitly shows and tells us.

Now for the cryotubes and an explanation of why I illustrate three. One; above I wrote about the Narcissus not taking four crew, so we know it will take three or less. Three in cryotubes? Two in cryotubes, with the third crewmember hanging around playing Tetris and just waiting (six weeks or longer)? Maybe they rotate shifts using the cryotubes? And why would they need to draw straws, would they do it to determine which two would stay on the Nostromo (assuming there are two cryotubes), or are they doing it to determine who gets to use the cryotubes and who gets to wait?  Who knows - none of that is in the movie and it does not offer an explanation.

Two; nobody knew what was in the second locker, we don't see inside it (is it even a locker at all?). With those taken into account, it seemed like I could use the space and just go ahead and put in a third cryogenic compartment for hypersleep. Three seats in the Narcissus, three cryotubes/compartments, three crew left.

For some, it changes the end of the movie and their feelings on why the characters do what they do. Whether the viewer believes there are two or three is up to them. I cannot really do anything about that, it's out of my hands, and I'm sorry if it spoils the movie or the book for them a little. But the theme of the final part of the movie is the same whichever way you look at it - the crew were desperate and had to get away from the Alien. They had no clue how long they would be out there, and to a great extent their future as the movie progresses is more and more out of their hands and their choices and resources available to them are getting less and less. Air or no air, enough cryotubes or not, they have to take their chances and get off the ship. All I can do as an illustrator is look at what I see and what is said in the movie, and make decision knowing that whatever I decide there are always going to be those for and some against.

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2019, 09:26:41 AM
Indeed.  The original escape-craft had only one pod.

Have you played Alien: Isolation? They used that Ron Cobb shuttle design for the Ambulance. Awesome - I would love to make a model of that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
I think that was pretty much everyone's understanding.
Apparently not. :P

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Sep 29, 2019, 02:24:03 PM
Ha! Okay, let's go.
Thank you for the insight! Frankly, all of that makes a lot of sense to me.

Kane's other son

My intention was never to diminish the work done. Personally, I'm really looking forward to owning the book.

USG Ishimura

Quote from: Kane's other son on Sep 29, 2019, 05:11:23 PM
My intention was never to diminish the work done. Personally, I'm really looking forward to owning the book.

That was really my intent. Not to go against anything we see in the movie, but to try to expand upon it in a respectful way.

I'm wondering how many people are re-watching the movie today. If the book gives you a new way of looking at the movie in a new and hopefully exciting way, then I'm happy about that. It's done it's job.

Xenomrph

I'm looking forward to Alien: The Blueprints vol 2, including detailed specs for Casey the doll head, Ripley's apartment on Gateway, the interior of one of the Auriga escape pods, the briefing room from 'Prometheus' before they depart, and David's flute.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 29, 2019, 05:29:32 PM
I'm looking forward to Alien: The Blueprints vol 2, including detailed specs for Casey the doll head, Ripley's apartment on Gateway, the interior of one of the Auriga escape pods, the briefing room from 'Prometheus' before they depart, and David's flute.

Let's not forget each of the Marines' lockers.

Xenomrph

Shit, you're right. My bad!

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 29, 2019, 06:05:35 PM
Shit, you're right. My bad!

However, the most important item we should see in a vol. 2 is Drake's necklace.

It's been 33 years and we still can't figure out every piece.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Sep 29, 2019, 02:24:03 PMFirst, put all of that aside; you've all had forty years to think about it and develop your own understanding and assumptions about what went down during those final, desperate scenes of the characters involved (as have I). Focus on exactly what is said in the movie, and what we see, absolutely nothing else. Tune all that out and disregard everything you read in the novel or the script.

With all due respect, I'm pretty sure that we're all focusing on the movie.  I haven't seen anyone invoke the script or novelization in this discussion so far.

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Sep 29, 2019, 02:24:03 PMI didn't think any more about what coolant the Narcissus had already, what exactly it was used for or go into any other reason why they needed the additional. All that is up to the viewer of the movie and it sounds, like me, like you all have your own thoughts based on and expanding upon what the movie explicitly shows and tells us.

My thoughts are based on what Ripley actually says in the movie, and she explicitly says that the coolant is "for the air support system."

SM

SM

I have to agree.  As much as I'm a huge fan of Graham's work - adding a third cryotube is beyond baffling to me.  Both Ripley and Lambert talk about 'taking a chance' at getting picked up.  If there's three cryotubes - why is there 'chance' involved?  It's just 'Righto, let's go.'  One tube supported Ripley for 57 years; at that rate the ship could support three for 19 years each minimum (and Parker and Ripley would have some idea on the specs), and they were only six weeks from the frontier.

Including another tube obviously isn't just an arbitrary decision, but I don't agree with this film interpretation at all.

QuoteHave you played Alien: Isolation? They used that Ron Cobb shuttle design for the Ambulance. Awesome - I would love to make a model of that.

Yeah I spotted that right off.  Even the fold out launching mechanism was the same as Cobb's.

USG Ishimura

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2019, 08:59:20 PM
I have to agree.  As much as I'm a huge fan of Graham's work - adding a third cryotube is beyond baffling to me.  Both Ripley and Lambert talk about 'taking a chance' at getting picked up.  If there's three cryotubes - why is there 'chance' involved?  It's just 'Righto, let's go.'  One tube supported Ripley for 57 years; at that rate the ship could support three for 19 years each minimum (and Parker and Ripley would have some idea on the specs), and they were only six weeks from the frontier.

Including another tube obviously isn't just an arbitrary decision, but I don't agree with this film interpretation at all.

QuoteHave you played Alien: Isolation? They used that Ron Cobb shuttle design for the Ambulance. Awesome - I would love to make a model of that.

Yeah I spotted that right off.  Even the fold out launching mechanism was the same as Cobb's.

:)

That's quite okay, guys; I guarantee you there is at least one person on Facebook that has unfriended me because I put toilets on A-Deck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed