Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 21, 2024, 08:54:00 AM

Author
Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up! (Read 2,679 times)

Thatguy2068

Quote from: MaineXeno on Mar 21, 2024, 07:24:01 PMIt Fede feels like an actual fan of the IP considering how much he is nerding out talking about it. He also shows respect to all the movies and not just one or two. Much better choice of a director then someone like Blomkamp who was gonna retcon 2 movies and has a f**k the alien franchise attitude now because his fan fiction didn't get made
is Neil a good director? because overtime I hear more complaints about him that is not from YouTube

Ingwar

Ingwar

Interview for Variety

QuoteThis takes place in the 57-year span between "Alien" and "Aliens." How careful did you have to be to not upset the larger mythology of the franchise?

["Alien: Romulus"] takes 20 years after the first one, and for me, I don't see it as upsetting the canon. It's something I take personal pleasure in doing, making sure that it all tracks and is all part of the big "Alien" franchise story — not only in the story, but also when it comes to how to make it. I talked with Ridley [Scott] as a producer, and had long chats with James Cameron about it at the script level. After the movie was done, I showed it to them.

Everybody's really important, from the VFX supervisor of "Aliens" and the guys that make the miniatures, and we hired a lot of them to work on the movie. Otherwise, it's hard to nail the style and the look and the vibe of a film like I wanted. That was the biggest pleasure of making this movie, to be able to do that whole process.

How did you achieve your goals with this movie and incorporate their foundational knowledge of the franchise?

Obviously "Alien" and "Aliens" are very different movies, but we figured out ways with this story to make sure I didn't have to choose. There are incredible, smart things [accomplished] in those movies. You really want to push it and create this world, so as a director, you're not sitting in your chair and just pointing at shit. I do VFX shots myself. I'm puppeteering there with them. In every movie, I think, "Okay, this is the one where I finally got to sit down and just point at shit." It doesn't happen. The movies get bigger and I'm still there on the floor getting my hands dirty. And that's really what Ridley and Cameron told me — the only way to make this movie is you have to be involved at every level. These are very handmade movies from their directors, that's why they're so unique. This is not a studio movie where you come in, do your thing and there's a machine going on that knows how to do them.

As you said, each director in the series made their "Alien" movie all their own. What elements does this movie have, that the others may not, because of you?

Well, it's definitely not just me. Roughly there are six years between the movies, so every movie has come out in a different era of filmmaking, so that's why they're so different. But for me, it was really taking it back to its roots. I wanted to travel back not just to the style of the original movies, but to the genre of the original movies. I really wanted to go back to the sheer horror of the first film, and to take those elements of thriller that "Aliens" has, and "Alien 3" has as well. We went to crazy extents to keep it pure to the filmmaking techniques of the first movie. But if anybody's worried, "Is it going to be too retro?" Don't worry, 2023 will pour through every window. There's no way to stop the modernity of filmmaking. And from that combination of the best of the classics and the best of today, then you have something new.

How tough was it to find a balance between the little green computer monitors of "Alien" and the futuristic technology of the more recent films?

I know a lot of people felt like it makes no sense. But I think we make the mistake when we watch the Nostromo and assume that's how the entire universe looks like. If I decide to make a movie on Earth today, and I go to the Mojave Desert and I take an old truck because a guy drives a Chevy, if you're an alien, you're going to go, "That's what the world looks like." But it doesn't mean there's not a guy in a Tesla in the city, which would be the "Prometheus" ship. The first movie is truck drivers in a beat-up truck. "Prometheus" is the ship of the richest man in the world.

It's no secret that the first two films are revered. Not asking you to trash talk any of the other movies, but were there any pitfalls, perceived or actual, in the execution of these stories that you were careful to avoid as you were writing and directing this movie?

I think what happens when you come into franchise like this one is that everybody has a different idea of what this is or must be. When I did "Evil Dead," some people thought it was a twist that I played it with a straight face, because for a lot of people that is a comedy. But if you saw the first one when you were a kid, like I did, there's nothing funny about it. In the "Alien" franchise, there were places that the directors and Ridley were more interested in that necessarily wasn't related to the horror of it all. But for me, "Alien" works at its best when it's scary, and when it's action like "Aliens." The horror and the shock of that world is personally what I liked the most.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/alien-romulus-trailer-fede-alvarez-1235946491/

Albert

Albert

The Scott Trilogy: Alien, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant
The Fox Trilogy: Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection
The Alvarez Trilogy: Alien: Romulus, TBC, TBC

[cancerblack]

BigDaddyJohn

I absolutely love District 9. But the guy pretty much sinked after that. His last movie Demonic or something like that was bad.

Thatguy2068

Didn't he made those fantastic short films on the Internet. Or were those made by different people?

BigDaddyJohn

He did. I didn't see it but heard it was good.

Enjoy

Enjoy

I hope this movie has more then 6 people in it . Even if CGI ASH.

BigDaddyJohn

There's definitely more than the main six. If they are in the present Renaissance station is unknown.

SiL

I'm not getting the need for more people.

BigDaddyJohn

More kills more thrills  :laugh:

But now I agree, the main 6 having impactful deaths should be enough. Covenant had many that weren't for example.

Enjoy

Enjoy

I want to see weyland yutani employee and robots show up at the end just like alien 3

Mr. Joe

Mr. Joe

Maybe strong male characters Alec Brand, cap Glass, Galgo ... hero Yautja / Predator vs Aliens, Bad Blood, Mala'kaks / Engineers, Amengi ...   

BigDaddyJohn

Pretty sure you'll have that at the beginning, at least.

Thatguy2068

Yeah, I gotta agree with big daddy says. Would be cool to see some gruesome scenes in this movie and with that one statement of "disgusting scene" I'm willing to see that, and I hope I'm not disappointed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed