Engineers and Black Goo?

Started by aliens13, Feb 14, 2024, 12:32:21 AM

Author
Engineers and Black Goo? (Read 5,556 times)

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 24, 2024, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 22, 2024, 02:26:15 AMI learned Giger worked on a Dune Attempt, and some of his designs featured in the film!

Giger actually worked on two Dune attempts. Jodorowsky and Ridley Scott's versions.

I did not know that! Imagine if Scott had directed Dune! I can only imagine his interpretation  of the Sandworms, Bene Gisseret, and The Harkonnen with Giger on board.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 24, 2024, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 22, 2024, 02:26:15 AMI learned Giger worked on a Dune Attempt, and some of his designs featured in the film!

Giger actually worked on two Dune attempts. Jodorowsky and Ridley Scott's versions.

I did not know that! Imagine if Scott had directed Dune! I can only imagine his interpretation  of the Sandworms, Bene Gisseret, and The Harkonnen with Giger on board.

Scott's Dune would also have been split into 2 films. I think Giger's job was to design the worms (as seen in the painting that Nightmare Asylum posted) as well as the Harkonnen homeworld.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Giger also reached out to Lynch to try to get on that version of Dune after both Jodorowsky and Scott's versions fell through, but Lynch never returned his calls. If legend is to be believed (I'm not sure the original source on this), apparently it's because of a perceived slight where Lynch felt that Giger had been complicit in ripping off the Eraserhead baby for Alien's chestburster.

EDIT: A link to the article from wmmvrrvrrmm's blog, which goes over some of those details:

https://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2014/05/alien-vs-eraserhead.html

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2024, 06:36:50 PMI still maintain, I don't think Giger's sandworm design is quite right for Dune, but I do think it'd be perfect as something that David cooked up...

I want to see this in an Alien film or the series! Like a giant Chestburster! :)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Isn't LV426 was initially thought to be the Harkonnen homeworld before Jodorowsky's Dune was dropped ?

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 24, 2024, 08:22:14 PMIsn't LV426 was initially thought to be the Harkonnen homeworld before Jodorowsky's Dune was dropped ?

That would have been a awesome tie in between the two universes, but I suppose permission from whoever handled the Dune rights at the time would be needed.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 24, 2024, 08:22:14 PMIsn't LV426 was initially thought to be the Harkonnen homeworld before Jodorowsky's Dune was dropped ?

Never heard that one before. Are you thinking of Dan O'Bannon's comment about hypothetically seeing LV-426 as a piece of the "Old Ones' homeworld" (as in, the entities from H.P. Lovecraft's works)?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2024, 08:26:28 PM

Never heard that one before. Are you thinking of Dan O'Bannon's comment about hypothetically seeing LV-426 as a piece of the "Old Ones' homeworld" (as in, the entities from H.P. Lovecraft's works)?

I heard that on a french podcast about the Alien saga, but it was some time ago, I need to re-check that.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 24, 2024, 08:28:58 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2024, 08:26:28 PM

I heard that on a french podcast about the Alien saga, but it was some time ago, I need to re-check that.

Given that Giger was handling all of the Harkonnen elements in Jodorowsky's Dune and went on to handle the Alien/Space Jockey side of things in Alien, there would definitely have been overlap in that regard between his Giedi Prime and LV-426, from a production standpoint.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2024, 08:04:08 PM

Giger also reached out to Lynch to try to get on that version of Dune after both Jodorowsky and Scott's versions fell through, but Lynch never returned his calls. If legend is to be believed (I'm not sure the original source on this), apparently it's because of a perceived slight where Lynch felt that Giger had been complicit in ripping off the Eraserhead baby for Alien's chestburster.

EDIT: A link to the article from wmmvrrvrrmm's blog, which goes over some of those details:

https://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2014/05/alien-vs-eraserhead.html

Fantastic write-up from that blog! Thanks for sharing, and it also led me to some other excellent blog notes, for example the one on the Shivers influence on Alien.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

I'm personally thrilled that the pathogen is gonna feature in Romulus. It shows that this film respects the overarching setting and continuity.

Plus, "Prometheus strain"? That's gotta be a David connection.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I'm pretty sure David won't be mentioned in the movie.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 05, 2024, 09:49:44 AMI'm pretty sure David won't be mentioned in the movie.

He damn well better be!

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 05, 2024, 09:22:56 AMI'm personally thrilled that the pathogen is gonna feature in Romulus. It shows that this film respects the overarching setting and continuity.

Plus, "Prometheus strain"? That's gotta be a David connection.

The Pathogen is one of my favorite additions to the mythos.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 14, 2024, 12:32:21 AMWould you like to see the Engineers or the Black Goo playing a role on the new Alien Romulus film? in some kind of cameo, small roll or big roll in the story?
 Personally I prefer nothing about that or anything that comes to the prequel films. I prefer that just play safe with the horror of the Xenomorph just like it was in the pre-Prometheus era

I would prefer future films/media ignore the prequels but I at least want Ridley to have the chance to conclude his trilogy. After that they should then be ignored or be given a seperate continuity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed