Boyd Holbrook on The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 04, 2020, 05:43:25 AM

Author
Boyd Holbrook on The Predator (Read 4,108 times)

SuperiorIronman

The armor isn't so much a problem as how it's framed.

Plenty of Predator weapons and gear have been over the top over the years so seeing that design is simply not out of the question. It'd be more at home in a comic-book but it's simply not out of the realm of possibility. Framing it like the origin of a superhero is more the issue because while The Predator is a lot of things, it's not Iron man. Iron man of course being hyperbole.

Instead of essentially doing the War Machine joke from the first Iron man "next time baby" - "my new suit" they should frame it as a question.

Who put it there?
What is it?
When did it get put there if not when did they decide to give it?
Where did this come from (not the home-world but where specifically if this is from if a clan)?
But most importantly why is it in there?

The Assassin just chased this guy across the universe presumably to get whatever this is back. So why is it so important? The film frames it like it's a gift but you can have a "Humans are wrong" counter all over these movies so whatever it's believed to be is debatable. I'm not as quick to give up on that plot-point given it can go anywhere but they framed it all wrong. Probably a byproduct of just trying to end the movie but still the framing is more the issue.

AliceApocalypse

Some excellent points, SuperiorIronman, especially regarding the suit delivery.

The suit gift itself goes against what we understand as Yautja culture in general, humans aren't "gifted" anything from them unless it's duly earned.  One of them wants us to have it, so what did that person do for such a reward?  Also, why would they use human DNA when we are a lesser species to them? 

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 04, 2020, 11:24:13 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 04, 2020, 05:43:25 AM
Not really much, since it seems he didn't want to talk about it but ...

Quote Through no fault of your own, The Predator didn't go as everyone had planned, but looking back, was it one of those classic Hollywood examples of too many cooks in the kitchen?

I just think the first one [Predator] caught lightning in a bottle. And with people wanting to do more, maybe you should just let a sleeping dog lie, sometimes. That was a big takeaway for me.

That lightning was successfully recaptured one or two other times Boyd.

http://horrorfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/predator2.18.jpg

But it's not his fault the script came off like it was written by a 6 year old.

Definitely.

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Aug 05, 2020, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 04, 2020, 10:34:39 PM
The Predator had a lot of potential for being a better received entry had they refocused certain characters and story elements. They should have gone with the Bad Blood story line, rather than the genetically modified 10 foot Predator who ultimately seeks out a child with Asperger's.

Absolutely agreed. 

Honestly,  I didn't mind The Predator so much, outside of a few questionable moments.  Why mix with human DNA if we are a lesser species, why not use a bad blood story line, or the ending.  The ending - still SMH. 

Yeah that whole third act was full of cringe.

But there were definitely things I enjoyed within the movie. Fugitive Predator was great and I liked most of the cast involved. The whole lab breakout scene was one of my favorite recent Predator scenes (compared to anything in Predators, AVP, and AVPR).

The Predator suit at the end, to me, was a bad idea no matter how you spin it.
If they had to place anything in the pods, it probably should have been either Royce or Isabelle, for the sake of bridging more things together for the series.

SuperiorIronman

Really what they should've done is not show the pod. Just have everyone go "oh my god" upon the pod opening without showing what they saw. That way if it's a person, Predator, surviving cast member, or whatever it leaves things open for a sequel or even a spin-off should they not want to go that route.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Really should have just dropped the CGI abominable and made it a Fugitve Predator centric movie. They had him narrowed down and made him really cool, maybe the cg guy could have been in the next movie instead of just showing up and 3 shooting the pred you already set up halfway through   :-\

SuperiorIronman

I'm of the opinion that Bryan Prince deserved better. He honestly didn't put in a bad performance and Fugitive was great, it's also a shame we didn't get to see him as one of the Emissary. He deserves another shot like Ian Whyte. He's a competent Predator actor in this and simply deserved a much better film than the one he got.
Like I doubt we have any say in that but whenever they get around to it again I'd be more than happy to see him back in the role.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed