Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 464,475 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2010, 09:31:46 PM
Its sole purpose was to rock up at inconvenient times and make heads explode.

Pretty much like Kane's Son, then.

Or any Alien, or, hell, movie monster ever. Agreed that Spike wasn't used as well as he could've been overall, but that's a really inspecific criticism .

SM

SM

QuoteWhich ones? I remember 'Father' and the Chapel in the Auriga, but what else was there?

The title and premise.
Stigmata on Ripley's hands.
Crucifixion imagery on Ripley descending into the hive (hell?), when Call sinks after being shot, when Johner hangs upside down, shape of the Betty.
Call's own 'resurrection'.

And if you want to get into Campbell, you can apply many of the Return stages of the Monomyth to Resurrection.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Damn, that's pretty deep. Subtle even in some cases; well, I'll give the film that much credit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 08, 2010, 02:01:59 AM
Pretty much like Kane's Son, then.
The original Alien had off-screen presence and it drove the plot from about half an hour in until the end.

Spike has zero off-screen presence and drives the plot, kind'a, from about halfway in, and in the Extended Cut there's a chunk where he's captured and the plot wanders for a bit.

Even when the original Alien isn't caving someone's skull in, there's still a feeling of a lurking threat, particularly towards the end. When Spike's not on-screen there's zero tension, zero worry and zero dread. It pulls one death out of its ass that's pure awesome - Clemens, but the rest of the time there's a distinct difference in tone between 'People gonna die now' and 'people gonna talk now'. Alien, at least, manages to keep you somewhat on edge.

And then there's the bloody thing's on-screen presence, which as of my last viewing I label as 'Surprisingly boring' (This is Spike we're talking about).

Kane's Son is like an A-list actor chewing scenery. When it's there, it dominates the scene, it makes itself known. Spike, on the other hand, comes across much more as a much cheaper monster baddie, popping up to kill someone and not much else. It doesn't chew the scenery, just heads.

Pretty specific criticism.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Not arguing against any of that, but I thought you were referring to the Alien's on-screen presence. A3 shoots itself in the foot by allowing everyone to continue functioning properly while the Alien is loose, which is why I'd recut it to make the later part of it more dense with Alien activity.

That said, it's not really an issue with Spike as much as it's a part of the whole pacing issue.

If I were to summarise your point in a few words, would it be that Spike is too predictable? Because I agree with that.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Quote from: SM on Apr 08, 2010, 01:48:06 AM
QuoteIt's tone matches the original's almost perfectly. Plus there's religious overtones to boot!

Odd that no one ever mentions Resurrections religious overtones...

I know they're there, but I'm not talking about Alien: Resurrection, so why should I refer to it.

Besides, I love the gothic vibe's in A:R.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Lt. Mike Harrigan on Apr 08, 2010, 10:17:51 AM
Besides, I love the gothic vibe's in A:R.
So do I. That's just one of the things that got me into it.  :)

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

The cinematography and score especially!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 08, 2010, 06:51:16 AM
If I were to summarise your point in a few words, would it be that Spike is too predictable?
No, it's that he's unimpressive and boring to watch.

To paraphrase Parker, 'You know why they don't watch this movie? It's the Alien. It got no personality.'

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

Just what kind of personality did Gieger have in Alien(1)?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

If you are referring to the creature, It didn't have any.

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 08, 2010, 03:01:33 PM
Exactly. Sure, it was a bit more on the feminine side, but that's about it.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Giger? Kane's Son? The Alien? No personality?

Ha.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 08, 2010, 10:42:25 AM
Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 08, 2010, 06:51:16 AM
If I were to summarise your point in a few words, would it be that Spike is too predictable?
No, it's that he's unimpressive and boring to watch.

To paraphrase Parker, 'You know why they don't watch this movie? It's the Alien. It got no personality.'

Are you kidding me? The Runner had a ton of personality. He wasn't just an animal, or a movie monster; he was twisted. He was sadistic. His bloody smile, the mutilation of corpses, and a lot of other things. It was as if he himself was one of the psychotic criminals that the prison housed.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Apr 08, 2010, 03:26:34 PM

Giger? Kane's Son? The Alien? No personality?

Ha.
Yep. We don't see the creature either angry or sad - we just see it one time screaming in pain, alas when Ripley shoots it with the hook thingy.

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

I don't know, sometimes he looks pretty horny... :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed