Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 300,666 times)

windebieste

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 08, 2017, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2017, 01:14:56 AM
They're not assumptions.  I'm talking about what is likely vs, what is contrived.  If you accept Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon, then it is a FACT that there are no further recorded encounters with the aliens between the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection.  The exception to that being if there is some sort of convoluted inner-cabal at Wal-mart / W-Y.

However, if you don't count those films as canon, and you have a blank canvas in front of you, then it is more likely that you would encounter the aliens again after 30 + years, than 2 years after.  Again, this takes into account that the derelict is destroyed, which has to be a fact if Alien: resurrection is considered canon.  The odds of running into the aliens again completely independently of the derelict within 2 years are slim.  Just consider how long it is taking us to find any indication of extra-terrestrial life right now.

Your concern is that we would have a scenario where Ripley once again accidentally encounters the aliens, which would put her in some sort of super-hero territory.  How could one person have so much bad luck?  Your concern is valid, and I don't think anybody wants that.  The fact that we actually already have a super-hero Ripley as per A:R notwithstanding.

I don't think retcon proponents want to have a desire for a gloomy or overly cheerful film.  They want something that is likely and realistic.

If you consider Ripley's encounter with the aliens in the Aliens film, it is not coincidental.  She doesn't run into them randomly in space.  She has moral motivations that don't allow her to ignore the plight of families that are exposed to the aliens on LV-426.  She has a legitimate motivation to encounter the aliens again.  The motivations in Alien 3 are unlikely, and in fact contrived.  The odds that she would be so stupid as to allow the aliens to remain on the Sulaco are slim to none.

So, ignoring ALien 3, if she finds out 30 years down the road that the aliens have been discovered again, randomly, by some other people, her response to intervene, would be a likely one, and it would be fully consistent with her character, without taking her into super-hero territory.

It's not about people wanting a perfect happy family thing as you are always saying.  Nor is it about wanting the Alien universe to be unrealistically gloomy, where everyone has to be killed off as per trope.  People just want the alien stories to be grounded in realism and likelihood.  Blomkamp's film offers that possibility.  Will it deliver?  Who knows?  But it is the best chance right now to fix the core story in the series.

My favorite post I've ever read on this site. So many Alien 3 fans are incredibly condescending, and think Blomkamp proponents want more of the same. Like, huh? I didn't necessarily want an Alien 3 to be full of guns and explosions and one-liners, I just wanted it to be organic and "correct". I mean we all love ALIEN around here, which has none of that stuff.

Windebieste thinks that dark and depressing means thoughtful and cerebral and challenging, and that really is delicious.

And I'm not even saying Alien 3 is a bad film.  I love Alien 3 as a sort of wacky, grim, artsy, unlikely alternate reality spin-off.  It's a great, uniquely stunning piece of science fiction film-making.  When Blomkamp's film comes out, I will still cherish my Alien 3 Blu-ray and its companion disc of interviews and making of documentary.  I understand why fans like this film.

I just feel it is time for a film that represents what would realistically have happened after the events of Aliens.

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 08, 2017, 01:41:02 AM

;D

Listen..... crickets.

windebieste

'ALIEN 3' is not a spin off, though.  It's the main arc.  It has been so for a quarter of a Century.  Why don't you get that?

Blomkamp's movie is the spin off - it should be treated as such.  lol.

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Oh totally dude. I even like the film myself. Clemens is one of my favorite characters. I grew up with the tetralogy. But to quote Blomkamp, it was the "incorrect" trajectory to pursue.

And no one, except a small minority of "gloomy good, guns bad!" advocates want Aliens retconned. But too bad. ;D

The Cruentus

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 08, 2017, 02:07:43 AM
Oh totally dude. I even like the film myself. Clemens is one of my favorite characters. I grew up with the tetralogy. But to quote Blomkamp, it was the "incorrect" trajectory to pursue.

And no one, except a small minority of "gloomy good, guns bad!" advocates want Aliens retconned. But too bad. ;D
No one wants aliens retconned...as far  as I know.but those who want alien 3 retconned should consider other people's view rather than be selfish because of character deaths.

BishopShouldGo

lol. your a3 disc wont suddenly disappear.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 08, 2017, 02:05:26 AM
'ALIEN 3' is not a spin off, though.  It's the main arc.  It has been so for a quarter of a Century.  Why don't you get that?

-Windebieste.

I never said it's a spin off.  I would consider it an alternate reality if Blomkamp's project happens.  An alternate reality and a spin-off are completely different things.

Currently, Alien 3 is a part of the main story arc, but unfortunately it is party to derailing that story arc rather than continuing it.  Nobody wants to pick up the pieces of that arc to continue it, so you will either get inconsequential prequels, or side-quels, or the main story arc can be fixed at the point where the general public considers that the it wen off the rails, and that is Alien 3.

Fans of Alien 3 need not worry though.  They still get to have their Blu-Rays, comics and action figures.  Nobody is coming to take those away.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 02:17:40 AM

No one wants aliens retconned...as far  as I know.but those who want alien 3 retconned should consider other people's view rather than be selfish because of character deaths.

^ This.  This is my point.  It appears it's OK to talk about 'ALIEN 3' getting retconned but discuss doing that to 'ALIENS'?  It's like talking about stripping pages out of The Bible.

I love Mae West.  She was the Best!  She also said "Those who are easily shocked be shocked more often." 

-Windebieste.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2017, 02:25:53 AM

-Windebieste.

I never said it's a spin off.  I would consider it an alternate reality if Blomkamp's project happens.  An alternate reality and a spin-off are completely different things.

Currently, Alien 3 is a part of the main story arc, but unfortunately it is party to derailing that story arc rather than continuing it.  Nobody wants to pick up the pieces of that arc to continue it, so you will either get inconsequential prequels, or side-quels, or the main story arc can be fixed at the point where the general public considers that the it wen off the rails, and that is Alien 3.

Fans of Alien 3 need not worry though.  They still get to have their Blu-Rays, comics and action figures.  Nobody is coming to take those away.

You're the one living in an Alternate Reality.  lol  :P

-Windebieste.

The Cruentus

@Bishopshouldgo

Ahem "intentional-bad-cap loL"  And Hicks, Newt and Ripley won't disappear from your Aliens disc.

"So many Alien 3 fans are incredibly condescending,"

I am not an Alien 3 fan (Aliens unsurprisingly is my favorite) and those that are actually defending A3 are simply being objective, and not being condescending,

Retconning for the sake of three characters is stupid, especially since its done for sentimental fans who can't let go. Resurrection is an example of holding on to the past.

Am I happy they are dead? No. Especially the slap in the face dick move that was the way it was done.

Am I happy that Resurrection is where the alien side franchise ended? Absolutely not and its this why I am half and half when it comes the retcon, to restore the original serious tone.

"Windebieste thinks that dark and depressing means thoughtful and cerebral and challenging"

And I suppose laid back marines shooting from the hip is thoughtful and cerebral?

Hudson, Hicks and all were awesome but I don't want a rehash which is why Aliens is good, because it is different from the first film.

If you want another Aliens, then play the games, they nearly always emulate the second movie. Alien Isolation was brilliant for being the exception.

Lonely Universe

I wouldn't call it selfish as it's for the greater good.

I want it retconned for the betterment of the franchise as a whole. If there's an opportunity to correct it's mistakes that opportunity should be seized.

When you've got half a loaf of moldy bread you take out the moldy pieces to keep it from spreading to the good ones.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Lonely Universe on Jan 08, 2017, 02:37:55 AM
I wouldn't call it selfish as it's for the greater good.

I want it retconned for the betterment of the franchise as a whole. If there's an opportunity to correct it's mistakes that opportunity should be seized.

When you've got half a loaf of moldy bread you take out the moldy pieces to keep it from spreading to the good ones.

Killing characters are not mistakes, the magic egg in the intro was a mistake.

Mold is unintentional....the killing of the three characters was intentional.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 08, 2017, 02:30:09 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 02:17:40 AM

^ This.  This is my point.  It appears it's OK to talk about 'ALIEN 3' getting retconned but discuss doing that to 'ALIENS'?  It's like talking about stripping pages out of The Bible.

I love Mae West.  She was the Best!  She also said "Those who are easily shocked be shocked more often." 

-Windebieste.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2017, 02:25:53 AM

-Windebieste.

You're the one living in an Alternate Reality.  lol  :P

-Windebieste.

While you're the one living in fiction believing it is reality.  It's all fiction Winde.  It's all fiction.  Some of us just want a plausible continuation instead of a magic egg derailing an excellent story.

windebieste

What Greater Good?  Is there any guarantees that it will be any good at all?  Isn't the sacrifice a little too great to trade in half the series for an absolute unknown?  Where's the proof?  Blomkamp said so..?  wtf?

I'd love a Blomkamp 'ALIEN 5' but is a retcon even needed?  No. It is not.  Is Ripley even needed.  Nope.  Not at all.  Could Blomkamp make an 'ALIEN 5' that adds to the series as a whole without carving it up?  Sure, he could!  The recent 'Rogue One' movie showed us how to insert relevant content into a series could be done without tearing the series apart.  Notably, that movie is a vast improvement over the other new 'Star Wars' movie we saw released a year ago - which was basically shit. 

But no...  Ripley must come back.  At all costs.  Whether she's needed or not.  'She Who Cannot Die' MUST return. 

No wonder people have called Blomkamp's proposal out as being driven by juvenile wishful fan fiction. 

That's exactly what it is. 

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

lol i dont want another aliens

i want another alien and aliens

which means i want another good movie

and it is like ripping pages out of the bible, because aliens is a good movie and alien 3 is not. retconning alien 3 is like ripping pages out of Poop Magazine.

The Cruentus

::) That is your opinion, not a fact. Alien 3 is inferior but that is no reason to retcon it. Alien is arguably inferior to Aliens, should Alien be retconned?

Not all sequels are going to be good.

Like I said, if you want a rehash, either rewatch the movies or play the games, you will get the same experience more or less from a new movie based on Aliens.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed