Should the Queen be a part of the Prequel universe?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 21, 2017, 11:43:30 AM

Should Scott include the Queen Alien as part of the Xenomorph lifecycle in his next film?

Yes
No
Author
Should the Queen be a part of the Prequel universe? (Read 32,494 times)

SM

People hate that movie I like, so I'm going to hate that movie they like.

ye gods...

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2018, 02:11:57 AM
People hate that movie I like, so I'm going to hate that movie they like.

ye gods...

It's kind of strange do do it in your own back yard with such a well established classic. The movies are not even alike.

Scorpio

There's no hating, at least from me.  Now if you can't handle a little criticism of your favourite movie, I suggest growing a pair.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 14, 2018, 06:50:09 AM
There's no hating, at least from me.  Now if you can't handle a little criticism of your favourite movie, I suggest growing a pair.

SM

No hate - just petty criticisms and nitpickery at every opportunity in a vain attempt to deflect.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Highland on Jan 14, 2018, 08:57:37 AMhttps://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2lcqiEmj71qcqtduo1_500.gif

That is horny as f**k.

The queen fits and egg-morphing fits. One doesn't preclude the other. Covenant shows a veritable menagerie of biological influences that ended up (ostensibly) contributing to the Alien. If anything, with all the bugs David has in his laboratory, the queen makes the most sense.

Highland

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jan 14, 2018, 11:09:42 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 14, 2018, 08:57:37 AMhttps://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2lcqiEmj71qcqtduo1_500.gif

That is horny as f**k.

The queen fits and egg-morphing fits. One doesn't preclude the other. Covenant shows a veritable menagerie of biological influences that ended up (ostensibly) contributing to the Alien. If anything, with all the bugs David has in his laboratory, the queen makes the most sense.

Exactly. Turns out all the Aliens that acted like bugs in Aliens.....came from bugs. Soccer moms rejoice.

Even obannon though wanted it to be just a regular ol creature, it wasn't supposed to be invincible with armour plates and the perfect organism, it was just another animal.

ChrisPachi

O'Bannon wins in the end... though he may not of loved the idea that it was a regular ol creature created by a robot from the distribution of a virus that was developed by humanoid aliens that created humans who then created robots. Dan never was big on robots.

tleilaxu

It's actually pretty funny how people sperg out when you criticize Alien and Aliens even with just a fraction of the same nitpicking level that people criticize Covenant with. Of course the old movies are literally flawless and perfect right? Like when Dallas, the captain of the ship, insists on having a crew-member infected with an alien life-form that could potentially kill them all brought into the ship it is NOT stupid, it's "a human and rational decision taken by a man wanting to save his friend" or something  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jan 14, 2018, 02:40:35 PM
It's actually pretty funny how people sperg out when you criticize Alien and Aliens even with just a fraction of the same nitpicking level that people criticize Covenant with. Of course the old movies are literally flawless and perfect right? Like when Dallas, the captain of the ship, insists on having a crew-member infected with an alien life-form that could potentially kill them all brought into the ship it is NOT stupid, it's "a human and rational decision taken by a man wanting to save his friend" or something  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah we know, you'd just let your mate die and you like seeing kids ripped in half. You get a pass.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Jan 14, 2018, 02:46:27 PM

Yeah we know, you'd just let your mate die and you like seeing kids ripped in half. You get a pass.
I sure as hell wouldn't endanger myself and everybody else on the ship as the captain.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

This is not a flaw of the film though, it's a character flaw. There's a huge difference. That whole scene is set to introduce you Ripley, Dallas, Lambert and Ash via action. Dallas and Lambert toss the quarantine protocol out of the window because Lambert's a coward and Dallas doesn't care much about the official rules; Ripley maintains the protocol because she does care about the rules and does not fold under pressure; Ash disregards Ripley's command and opens the airlock because he has ulterior motives yet to be revealed. Not only do all of those characters present plausible behaviors under similar circumstances, but the scene is perfectly used to provide information about the characters to the viewer in the middle of an important narrative moment. Some of that information also comes back and plays a role later on (Lambert's cowardice, Ash's motives).

This is all, by the way, putting aside the fact that the crew does make the right decision by not letting Dallas and friends on board up until Ash disobeys the order.

Covenant can only dream of having such a cleverly subtle script. I've been visiting this forum for 6 months now and have yet to see someone manage to describe the film's characters. Hell, I've seen people who love the film that can't even agree on who the protagonist of the film is supposed to be. Every decision the characters make during the film is the wrong decision, with some of them being comically wrong, all the while giving the audience no information about the characters.

Comparing Covenant to Alien is like comparing The Room to Citizen Kane; It's awesome to see Tommy Wiseau wreck a room in the end, but it's the worst kind of awesome you can have.

SM

Who argues that Dallas wasn't mistaken to do that? 

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2018, 07:24:07 PM

Please read Paranoid Android's comment above yours.
It pretty much supports tleilaxu's argument.

Beyond that, I don't think that Dallas' decision is the most irrational one in "Alien".
- That belongs to Ash, even with the special order.
* Ash allowing Kane (with a fast growing 1 foot [1/3 meter] parasite inside him) to eat with the crew was absurd;
1. In terms of controlling the spread of the infection;
2. To reduce the danger to the crew where (who are flying the ship);
3. Getting the ship to earth which is improved by keeping the crew alive;
4. Maximize the chances in getting the creature back to earth which was the main purpose of SO 937.

I have film theories about Ash's xenomorph worship which justifies what he does.
- But in terms of the behavior of an Alien movie science officer imo, it is probably the most irrational decision by such a character in the franchise.

** Now is "Alien" a great science fiction film? Yes. It's #10 on my all time SF list.
But I keep in mind (and several people I've discussed this with have sometimes admitted), the creature needed to get loose in order for the movie to work.
For the purposes of the story, Ash needed to let Kane eat with the crew to have the iconic chestburster scene. (And not put Kane immediately into stasis to prevent this.)
I accept that this is what was needed for this kind of story.

;)

Paranoid Android

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 14, 2018, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2018, 07:24:07 PM

Please read Paranoid Android's comment above yours.
It pretty much supports tleilaxu's argument.

Huh?
No, my post goes against tleilaxu's argument. I'm totally with SM on this. The film paints Dallas' action in that scene as a character flaw. That doesn't make the film flawed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed