What if Xeno’s could pilot ships?

Started by Mala'kak, May 10, 2020, 07:02:59 PM

Author
What if Xeno’s could pilot ships? (Read 8,547 times)

Bryan96

As Aliens was my first encounter and still my favorite, I do like the queen/ hive intelligence aspect. I'm a hobby beekeeper so it would be interesting to see different castes in detail. Bees have drones (males) that have certain duties but the majority are females that have changing duties as they age (nurse, guard, forager). Queens are triggered based on need (queen cells, royal jelly). Egg morphing is very sci fi and could also play a role. I assume the aliens also exhibit aspects of ants be do not have knowledge of their societies to speak to that.

I laugh as I picture an alien attempt to turn its head in a car.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Bryan96 on May 27, 2020, 03:04:35 PM
As Aliens was my first encounter and still my favorite, I do like the queen/ hive intelligence aspect. I'm a hobby beekeeper so it would be interesting to see different castes in detail. Bees have drones (males) that have certain duties but the majority are females that have changing duties as they age (nurse, guard, forager). Queens are triggered based on need (queen cells, royal jelly). Egg morphing is very sci fi and could also play a role. I assume the aliens also exhibit aspects of ants be do not have knowledge of their societies to speak to that.

I laugh as I picture an alien attempt to turn its head in a car.

That's definitely a funny mental image, I gotta be honest. I could totally imagine someone trying to do like, a drive through prank or something and it's just the Alien costume screeching at someone; But it would be a serious pain in the neck (both figuratively AND literally) to try and maneuver your head in that thing, or even see through it I'd figure.

Also, I do think it would be interesting to see a large scale Hive with different 'castes' like that; Workers (ie Warriors) would likely do most of the work, as expected, and as they mature they change in appearance, going from the smooth headed 'Drones' to 'Warriors' and Sentinels. Unfortunately, as far as 'castes' go with Aliens, it's tricky business; They tend to fluid and easy to transition from one to another, with even Royalty able to established by individual Aliens very easily as the species themselves are a hodge-podge of different eusocial insects, Hymenopterans in particular.

TBH, I'd love to see what your idea of a Hive would be like, at least following the paradigm you've suggested for a truly intelligent Hive.

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe the Engineer's DNA makes the Deacon smart enough to play the flute and activate a juggernaut.

In fact my theory is that the ship taking off at the end of Prometheus is actually the Deacon!!! 

Everything else is a robotic coma from which David never woke up.

Edit: I rest my case.  :-X

KiramidHead

If the cave people from Battlefield Earth can learn how to fly jets, then I suppose anything is possible...

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 03, 2020, 12:40:21 AM
Maybe the Engineer's DNA makes the Deacon smart enough to play the flute and activate a juggernaut.

In fact my theory is that the ship taking off at the end of Prometheus is actually the Deacon!!! 

That would...actually be really cool. But unlikely.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 03, 2020, 12:40:21 AM

lol, I like it, it makes the deacon much sprightlier and more sympathetic. Plus considering its size right after birth, I can fully imagine the lil dude becoming comically huge inside the ship like Buddy from Elf. Going from planet to planet looking for his mom and inadvertently wreaking havoc wherever he (crash) lands his ship.

"Aw man, not again, I'm not bad, I'm just engineered this way."

Immortan Jonesy

Spoiler
[close]

SpaceKase

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SpaceKase on May 18, 2020, 04:09:08 AM
Sure they can pilot ships, you just hook up the controls to a big Hamster-ball-like xeno enclosure with a holographic sensor overlay and you let 'EM rip. Maybe with a risk/reward system or something. Kinda like this fish driven car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNmL6hSNKw

R&D out of Innominata should have a field day with the project.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 11, 2020, 09:02:58 AM
Though not supported anywhere in the franchise, something I've flirted with the idea of is that the hive itself is actually some sort of intelligence, an entity in itself, and perhaps that when a vessel is hived up, that intelligence is capable of piloting.

Maybe it hives up a ship like an effed-up, Giger-esque version of Gomtuu, or Moya the Leviathan from Farscape, only with ecstatic cultists inside pushing the buttons and pulling the levers, guided and compelled by the blessed exultation of the Great Mother.

Pigeon. Bombs.

SpaceKase

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 03, 2020, 05:18:38 AM
Quote from: SpaceKase on May 18, 2020, 04:09:08 AM
Sure they can pilot ships, you just hook up the controls to a big Hamster-ball-like xeno enclosure with a holographic sensor overlay and you let 'EM rip. Maybe with a risk/reward system or something. Kinda like this fish driven car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNmL6hSNKw

R&D out of Innominata should have a field day with the project.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 11, 2020, 09:02:58 AM
Though not supported anywhere in the franchise, something I've flirted with the idea of is that the hive itself is actually some sort of intelligence, an entity in itself, and perhaps that when a vessel is hived up, that intelligence is capable of piloting.

Maybe it hives up a ship like an effed-up, Giger-esque version of Gomtuu, or Moya the Leviathan from Farscape, only with ecstatic cultists inside pushing the buttons and pulling the levers, guided and compelled by the blessed exultation of the Great Mother.

Pigeon. Bombs.

And the sequel:

Pigeon Bombs 2: Guano a Guano

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 10, 2020, 10:32:49 PM
I bet they would be like the Warhammer 40k Tyranids but xeno style. 

Majestic.....*a single tear rolls down my cheek*

They also might hop out with combat suits. For sentry gun encounters.   ;D

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Stompy the Perfect Xeno on Jun 07, 2020, 11:46:25 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 10, 2020, 10:32:49 PM
I bet they would be like the Warhammer 40k Tyranids but xeno style. 

Majestic.....*a single tear rolls down my cheek*

They also might hop out with combat suits. For sentry gun encounters.   ;D

They should reboot the franchise, and turn it into sexy power rangers fighting the forces of evil.

Kradan

Kradan

Ummm...

No, thanks

SpaceKase

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 08, 2020, 05:24:51 PM

They should reboot the franchise, and turn it into sexy power rangers fighting the forces of evil.

Necromongers, ftw! Convert or Die! And remember, you get to Keep what you Kill. I mean, it's a pretty good deal.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't mind seeing some Lii-type creatures going forward...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed