Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 194,799 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:11:08 AMConsidering things such as breasts and hips as "Human" leads to a very narrow mindset.

Apart from the fact humans are the only species on the planet to have such pronounced female breasts... Even apes don't have anything like that. Sure, female apes have the internal structure for breast feeding, but externally they aren't easily distinguishable from the males as in humans.

More to the point, who even says Predators are mammals? That's narrow minded.

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 24, 2014, 11:15:37 AM

More to the point, who even says Predators are mammals? That's narrow minded.

Please do not put words in my mouth.  I said they were warm blooded, not that they were mammals.

QuoteApart from the fact humans are the only species on the planet to have such pronounced female breasts

Apes have breasts.  But you are correct, they are not permanent.  As I replied earlier: 

QuoteAs for the actual breasts...who says they have to be in fabulous funbag size 24/7?  If anything, I can see them being mosquito bites until they are ready to give birth.  That way they have milk ready for their newborn.  When the child is grown enough, then it's last call on the milk tap and they then become afterthoughts and more like male pectorals.

That is how most animals who produce milk have their mammaires set up.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:49:16 AMPlease do not put words in my mouth.  I said they were warm blooded, not that they were mammals.

I was referring to this:

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:49:16 AMIf Humans did not exist but instead another mammal rose to the top with the same bipedal format, do you think perhaps it might be more similar than you realize? Sure, maybe a Dog might have multiple breasts, or a Cow has udders, ect.  Things like wide hips and mammaries are integral for warm-blooded, highly intelligent, bipedal creatures.

Which kind of implies you're suggesting Predators are mammalian. Besides, there are a host of warm-blooded animals that do not have breasts. As I said, humans are the only ones that do, in the sense of being visibly pronounced. Saying Predators will follow our biological rules is pretty ridiculous from that standpoint.

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 24, 2014, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:49:16 AMPlease do not put words in my mouth.  I said they were warm blooded, not that they were mammals.

I was referring to this:

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:49:16 AMIf Humans did not exist but instead another mammal rose to the top with the same bipedal format, do you think perhaps it might be more similar than you realize? Sure, maybe a Dog might have multiple breasts, or a Cow has udders, ect.  Things like wide hips and mammaries are integral for warm-blooded, highly intelligent, bipedal creatures.

Which kind of implies you're suggesting Predators are mammalian. Besides, there are a host of warm-blooded animals that do not have breasts. As I said, humans are the only ones that do, in the sends of being visibly pronounced. Saying they'll be like us is pretty ridiculous from that standpoint.

If you want to lawyer my English, sure.

The word mammal in that quote refers to hypothesizing that Humans (mammals) did not exist and a different species rose to take their place instead.  That with a similar evolutionary path (toward high intelligence and becoming Earth's apex predator) would produce a similar body structure.

The word 'mammary' does not equal mammal.  A long time ago some species of animal existed that were neither mammal or reptilian.  If you DO want to peg me as placing an obvious Earth-centric label on Predators, then you can cling to this: I believe if one can try to classify, a Predator would be a good candidate for being an alien therapsid.

Humans have breasts as hood ornaments.  Males saw them as good and thus evolution played on it.  If men didn't focus, then all females would be flat-chested like our ape cousins and only grow when milk was in production.

Besides the fact that this is a fictional story created by Humans, there's gonna be some Human-like features.  Now, if they went with the original script and the Predator was a body-less cloud that controlled the jungle animals, then you got yourself a full-fledged non-bipedal alien.  Even the Van Damme Lobster suit alien would have been a very good candidate for something truly less than Human or Humanish.

Once they gave the Predator a Human body with a half-reptilian skin as a base, then let's face it: you're all screwed. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 12:10:37 PMIf you want to lawyer my English, sure.

I'm not lawyering anything, that's what your example of 'another mammal' implied.

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 12:10:37 PMBesides the fact that this is a fictional story created by Humans, there's gonna be some Human-like features.

Dafuq?

Cloverfield was a fictional story created by humans. Not many human features in the monster in that...

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 24, 2014, 12:19:42 PM

Dafuq?

Cloverfield was a fictional story created by humans. Not many human features in the monster in that...

So is Mass Effect.  And Star Trek.  Star Wars.  Cloverfield is not the sole representative of Human cinema to portray extraterrestrials or obvious non-Terran creatures.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 12:21:31 PMSo is Mass Effect.  And Star Trek.  Star Wars.  Cloverfield is not the sole representative of Human cinema to portray extraterrestrials or obvious non-Terran creatures.

Errm... exactly. So your "the fact that this is a fictional story created by Humans, there's gonna be some Human-like features" argument is totally null and void. It doesn't have to have any human-like features at all.

Corporal Hicks

Besides being bipedal. I've yet to see any humans with mandibles.

The fact is that this is a fictional creature. Some of us clearly don't want it humanizing with the inclusion of breasts because it's alien. It might have worked for Jim Cameron and Avatar to humanize his aliens as that was the entire intention of the story. We're not supposed to identify with the Predators.

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

QuoteWe're not supposed to identify with the Predators.

Thank you for saying that.  Now I can stop the illusion of trying to debate with Alien fans instead of Yautja fans and go back to working on other things.

And Merry Christmas.

Corporal Hicks

Wow. Just like that? Maybe I should talk to a Predator fan instead of a Yautja fan?

The Yautja culture is a fabrication of the EU for a novel in which we're supposed to be able to understand the more complex motivation of the creatures. And this culture is not in the films which we're talking about.

I'll stick to my film version of the Predators.

Merry Christmas to yourself. And a Happy New Year.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 24, 2014, 12:26:02 PMWe're not supposed to identify with the Predators.

Exactly this. I said the same thing a while back.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 24, 2014, 08:43:12 AM
Quote from: Sagittarius on Dec 24, 2014, 01:25:54 AMWhy is it so offensive that the predator have human feminine qualities?  I get you don't want victoria's secret, but even if we only gave them the figure of an athletic woman, you guys would freak out.  What's the big deal?

I just think it's a ridiculously cheap, fanboy way of doing it when there are far more interesting possibilities.
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 24, 2014, 08:35:44 AM
It's not dislike towards the notion of a female Predator. It's a dislike of the notion of her being designed with human female qualities in mind. Just to clarify.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 24, 2014, 12:26:02 PM
We're not supposed to identify with the Predators.

So you don't like it, why should the rest of us care what you think?  and make sure we don't take artistic licenses that offend you?  Right now, the predators are a fictional alien species with a lot left up to speculation.  People can do whatever they want with them, and provide reasons for doing so- or not.  I'm just trying to understand why you feel the need to push your rules down other people's throats.
I do agree female predators ought to be left to speculation and not shown in movies.  There's only one reason to see a female predator in my mind, and that's to see a female protagonist finally take down a predator- and we really don't even need a female predator for that.

worldpeace

worldpeace

milking cows utter is ridiculous . nursing elephants have boobs. just because an apes tits are small doesn't make up for having the most horrifying ass in the known universe .

this thread has gone off the rails .
because the only plot detail known is it might feature a female predator . i do appreciate the energy though. just seems like the wrong way too use it..

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 24, 2014, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: Tarak'ha on Dec 24, 2014, 11:11:08 AMConsidering things such as breasts and hips as "Human" leads to a very narrow mindset.

Apart from the fact humans are the only species on the planet to have such pronounced female breasts... Even apes don't have anything like that.  That's narrow minded.

Topazora

Topazora

Sorry for contributing to it going off the rails, I guess what can done with a female predator is a touchy subject.  Anyway, whatever they do with the predator, there's a part of me that's still holding out for the main protagonist being a woman- I really really want to see that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Sagittarius on Dec 24, 2014, 06:07:08 PMSo you don't like it, why should the rest of us care what you think?

Conversely, why should we care what you think?

We were debating it. No need to get so touchy over it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed