Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 615,327 times)

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I'm wondering if Godzilla has a bigger fan base than ALIEN & Predator? Godzilla still has a published magazine "G-Fan" of course there are way more Godzilla films than ALIEN / Predator. And Godzilla has been around since the 1950's?

Wish we still had a published magazine. Just sayin :-\

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

At this point in time I'd definitely concur that Godzilla has the larger fanbase.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I think the Godzilla scene is older and has a more dedicated fanbase, but with fewer people outside it with any real awareness of the franchise beyond "big rubber lizard".

I think most people have seen and even enjoyed an Alien movie, and quite likely seen and not enjoyed more, but being extremely casual viewers have no reason to engage with fandom communities.

And for the record, I also think websites like this and podcasts have mostly replaced magazines for niche interests, Godzilla having an older fanbase and still publishing a magazine is something I do not think is a coincidence.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 15, 2020, 07:50:58 PM

I think most people have seen and even enjoyed an Alien movie, and quite likely seen and not enjoyed more, but being extremely casual viewers have no reason to engage with fandom communities.

And for the record, I also think websites like this and podcasts have mostly replaced magazines for niche interests, Godzilla having an older fanbase and still publishing a magazine is something I do not think is a coincidence.

Good points and makes sense. Though I'm still amazed "G-FAN"
is still published. I was thinking our fanbase must out number his. He is a classic monster. I was forgetting that.

Years ago I thought it was fun they had a Godzilla VS Charles Barkley comic(may not be remembering the sports figure correctly). I don't think they've spoofed ALIEN with any famous or sports figures. They may end up versing Godzilla against ALIEN.  ;)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

The Alien 3 Pepsi ad is all I can think of in a similar vein.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 16, 2020, 02:27:14 AM

Dude, do you remember the Godzilla Snickers ad?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Ha, yes.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We've had various other spoofs like the Nik-Nak advert, and that Direct TV one. I'm sure there's more, just nothing immediately springs to mind.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2020, 08:53:30 AM

We've had various other spoofs like the Nik-Nak advert, and that Direct TV one. I'm sure there's more, just nothing immediately springs to mind.

What on god's green earth is a Nik-Nak?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

:laugh:

[cancerblack]

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

LOL! Love it that was a new one for me. I had seen the Pepsi ad (thanks to this site) Now another first. :laugh:

Is there a place on here were these are stored? For easy access of viewing instead of searching topics.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 15, 2020, 07:50:58 PM
I think the Godzilla scene is older and has a more dedicated fanbase, but with fewer people outside it with any real awareness of the franchise beyond "big rubber lizard".

Fans who saw Alien in the blossoming age of 18 will start turning 60 in a month & a half. Younger and older they were all raised on print media. I just don't think there's enough Alien fans or new content to support it. If there was a print magazine most of us would subscribe to it I think.

Star Wars still has a printed magazine in a world of fansites. Godzilla does too on all accounts. And to a lesser degree, like Star Wars, Godzilla can appeal to a much broader audience, something both children and adults can enjoy together. And it has. Now I prefer Alien hands down, but it's amazing how Godzilla has endured.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

For those who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Ditto on the Happy Thanksgiving that celebrate it.

And congrats on becoming a member of the site staff Voodoo. That green looks good on you.  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed