ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,292 times)

predxeno

If Fox jettisoned the AVP movies, I would lose a TON of respect for them.  I get why they may want to clean up the EU, at some point many of those stories do feel like "filler" episodes, but de-canonizing any of the movies is crossing a line. 

Have some self-respect, Fox, you made a movie and you gave it your best, you should stand proudly by your work no matter what people say, to do so otherwise would only prove you have no backbone.  If you're going to de-canonize something, de-canonize Newt's death; come to think of it, I could probably jettison the AVP movies if it meant jettisoning Newt's demise as well.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 08:25:07 AMThe only movies which come to mind which decanonizes movies would of course be the Godzilla Heisei movies, which ignores the previous Godzilla movies but the 1954 original. But the Showa era films are considered their own canon.

Superman Returns ignores III and IV, the recent Universal Soldier films ignore the shitty DTV sequels they made in the 90s, Jaws: The Revenge totally ignores the previous movie... A whole bunch of horror series do it at some point. It happens more often that you'd think.

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:31:20 AMHave some self-respect, Fox, you made a movie and you gave it your best, you should stand proudly by your work no matter what people say, to do so otherwise would only prove you have no backbone.

Even if their work offers up a huge plot contradiction that never should have existed in the first place?

The biggest issue I have is it doesn't even feel like they were giving it their best shot with the AVP films. They were just milking it. For all their faults, the third and fourth Alien films at least feel like they tried.

SM

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:22:00 AM
The films were prequels, what did people expect?  Good stories with no contradictions?

Would've been a good start.

AvP can still be canon - it can be canon with AvP:R.

predxeno

I don't think Fox is axing the AVP films, I looked at a preview page of The Wey-Yu Report and it says that facehugger implantation can take as little as 20 minutes to as long as something else (probably 18-24 hours); point is, the AVP films are the only source that has the gestation period that short, perhaps Fox isn't the sad bunch of cowards we make them out to be. :-\

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:45:10 AM
I don't think Fox is axing the AVP films, I looked at a preview page of The Wey-Yu Report and it says that facehugger implantation can take as little as 20 minutes to as long as something else (probably 18-24 hours); point is, the AVP films are the only source that has the gestation period that short, perhaps Fox isn't the sad bunch of cowards we make them out to be. :-\

As much as I share your viewpoints.. I also think that there is clutching onto straws.

predxeno

Have hope. ;)  Speaking of which, there isn't second source that advocates so short a gestation period, is there?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:49:55 AMSpeaking of which, there isn't second source that advocates so short a gestation period, is there?

Pretty much every Alien video game ever made, including ACM.

I seem to remember implantation being pretty quick in Out of the Shadows, too, and that's definitely in the new canon.

predxeno

Not twenty minutes, I don't think.  Belle had quite a few hours in her before she burst.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:49:55 AM
Have hope. ;)  Speaking of which, there isn't second source that advocates so short a gestation period, is there?

Would Burke's gestation scene count, especially considering that Cameron feels that the Director's Cut of ALIENS is the definitive version? But then again.. that one might be an exception since that one isn't in the Director's Cut, is it?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:52:45 AMNot twenty minutes, I don't think.  Belle had quite a few hours in her before she burst.

Lol no she didn't, you find her like ten minutes after she disappears. It's even faster with Keyes, you find him like five minutes after he disappears, and in that time he's been carried off, cocooned and impregnated.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 08:53:59 AMWould Burke's gestation scene count, especially considering that Cameron feels that the Director's Cut of ALIENS is the definitive version? But then again.. that one might be an exception since that one isn't in the Director's Cut, is it?

That scene isn't in any version of the film, so it can't really count.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 08:54:55 AM
That scene isn't in any version of the film, so it can't really count.

Fair enough, I can buy that.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 08:51:46 AM
Pretty much every Alien video game ever made, including ACM.

I will be plum surprised and apalled if ACM made it into the new canon.

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 08:54:55 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:52:45 AMNot twenty minutes, I don't think.  Belle had quite a few hours in her before she burst.

Lol no she didn't, you find her like ten minutes after she disappears. It's even faster with Keyes, you find him like five minutes after he disappears, and in that time he's been carried off, cocooned and impregnated.

I don't recall a specific timetable being provided on when they were grabbed, couldn't it have been longer than we may have originally inferred?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 08:56:46 AMI will be plum surprised and apalled if ACM made it into the new canon.

:)

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:57:46 AMI don't recall a specific timetable being provided on when they were grabbed, couldn't it have been longer than we may have originally inferred?

The Sephora's literally only just arrived when you start the game, and there's no sign of anything going wrong until you head across the umbilical to the Sulaco. Five minutes after that you're rescuing Keyes.

predxeno

Actually, the game's opening intro reveals that Winter and some others were woken up later than the other marines so Belle and Keyes would have had more time on the Sulaco than Winter (and the player).

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 09:01:56 AMActually, the game's opening intro reveals that Winter and some others woken up later than the other marines so Belle and Keyes would have had more time on the Sulaco than Winter (and the player).

Even so, nothing goes wrong until the explosion while you're crossing the umbilical. Unless you expect me to believe all the Marines already on the Sulaco got attacked in total silence, not one of them raised the alarm, and their superiors didn't notice they'd all gone missing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed