Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 757,356 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 14, 2016, 05:19:59 AM
Besides, who says that's the helmet Ripley was wearing at the end of Alien?  Maybe it's from one of the other suits on board? ;)

At least we can have reasonable doubt.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think James Cameron tried very hard to respect ALIEN and make the transition from the end of the first film to the beginning of the aliens as seamless as possible.

While alien3's stylistic changes never bothered me much, it seems apparent that they didn't really respect Aliens at all.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 14, 2016, 02:07:49 PM
I think James Cameron tried very hard to respect ALIEN and make the transition from the end of the first film to the beginning of the aliens as seamless as possible.

He even included the harpoon gun that got stuck in the airlock door.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 14, 2016, 02:17:14 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 14, 2016, 02:07:49 PM

He even included the harpoon gun that got stuck in the airlock door.

Didn't think about it before but that's makes Out of the Shadows seem even less possible.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It looked to me that Alien 3 was making the cryotubes more like the first Alien (when they wake up in the beginning).  Also, with how the cryotubes where ejected, the design in Aliens doesn't allow for that, so they had to change it.  A minor thing, because they kept the design for the Sulaco and also the pulse rifles, so they weren't disrespecting Aliens too much.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 14, 2016, 02:34:11 PMAlso, with how the cryotubes where ejected, the design in Aliens doesn't allow for that, so they had to change it.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have designed the ejection mechanism in a way that would work with the original cryotubes.

They could have retconned the grated floors beneath the cryotubes as collapsible platforms so they could be lowered into the EEVs prior to ejection.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 14, 2016, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 14, 2016, 02:34:11 PMAlso, with how the cryotubes where ejected, the design in Aliens doesn't allow for that, so they had to change it.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have designed the ejection mechanism in a way that would work with the original cryotubes.

They could have retconned the grated floors beneath the cryotubes as collapsible platforms so they could be lowered into the EEVs prior to ejection.

They could have but maybe they didn't for dramatic purposes.  Also, that design is not to practical for later in the film when Ripley gets in the EEV to do the scan.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Again, they could have adapted the EEV's design to accommodate the cryotube's established design.  There's nothing about that scene that would have prevented the EEV from having a monitor for 85 to watch while the cryotube scanned Ripley's body.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 14, 2016, 02:57:47 PM
Again, they could have adapted the EEV's design to accommodate the cryotube's established design.  There's nothing about that scene that would have prevented the EEV from having a monitor for 85 to watch while the cryotube scanned Ripley's body.

I'm just trying to look at it from the director's point of view.  Sometimes a little dramatic license is needed to serve the story and the director's style.  That's more a design oversight in Aliens, anyway, that needed to be corrected for the sequel.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 14, 2016, 03:08:06 PMThat's more a design oversight in Aliens, anyway
What?  ...how you figure?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 14, 2016, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 14, 2016, 02:57:47 PM

I'm just trying to look at it from the director's point of view.  Sometimes a little dramatic license is needed to serve the story and the director's style.  That's more a design oversight in Aliens, anyway, that needed to be corrected for the sequel.

James Cameron was supposed to predict that Alien 3 would involve the cryotubes being ejected from the Sulaco?  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 14, 2016, 03:16:23 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 14, 2016, 03:08:06 PMThat's more a design oversight in Aliens, anyway
What?  ...how you figure?

Exactly.  There's no way James Cameron could know the sequel was going to take a turn for the ridiculous.

Wow, the more I read here the more I want Alien 3 retconned onto the back shelf.

426Buddy

426Buddy

lol Perfect Organism you sound like a politician whenever you advocate for blomkamp's retcon.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 14, 2016, 05:47:05 PM
lol Perfect Organism you sound like a politician whenever you advocate for blomkamp's retcon.

He gets my vote... 😉

Master

Master

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed