Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,628 times)

Nightmare Asylum

I'm sorry for not wanting to just blindly consume recycled art over and over again.

And it isn't going to just be limited to these "for fun" covers, if Marvel's Star Wars comics are anything to go by.

Dark Horse had a ton of issues as well. This isn't me blindly hating on Marvel. I really love a lot of Marvel stuff, and I don't care what company is making the stuff I read so long as it is good. I just... want to enjoy what I'm seeing, and I'm not really feeling this stuff so far.

Lost_Hunter

Look what they did, they massacred my boy! Saw this coming from another galaxy far far away.

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

Yeah the wolverine one is a obviously one the xenomorph is just a modified one from a alien isolation cover

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Oct 23, 2020, 12:57:38 PM
Marvel is sadly no longer a place of good storytelling due to  its writers and artist think it's there own personal soap box to tell everybody there own political views even though we just came for a good story

That's literally Marvel comics my dude.

Nightmare Asylum

Marvel is sadly no longer a place of good storytelling due to  its writers and artist think it's there own personal soap box to tell everybody there own political views even though we just came for a good story

How dare writers use their art form/mode of storytelling to be political! ::)

Kradan

Well, I think he implied there's nothing but writters using art form/mode of storytelling to be political in Marvel comics these days. I can't say myself because well haven't read any Marvel comics

SiL

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 23, 2020, 01:27:49 PM
At least the SiL fanboy is happy lol. Happy to see there's at least one guarenteed buyer for this crap. Hopefully they use the money from him to make standalones. Doubt it though, as Star Wars besides Rogue One showed, these people are brain dead when it comes to storylines and originality.
I'm not buying any of these, I just liked a picture. I don't even know who you are.

Gilfryd

Stan Lee literally had Stan's Soapbox and Jack Kirby had Captain American punch Hitler a year before America entered the war. I know we're talking comics here but grow up.

SM

Won't somebody think of the fascists??

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 24, 2020, 06:49:19 AM
Well, I think he implied there's nothing but writters using art form/mode of storytelling to be political in Marvel comics these days. I can't say myself because well haven't read any Marvel comics

And every Alien film is political. As it, well, essentially every story.

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2020, 12:27:28 PM

How so ?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 24, 2020, 04:41:10 PM
How so ?

Alien is all about the employees of big corporate entity being stripped of their rights and sent down to survey a signal under forfeiture of shares for work that they had already completed, with their lives quite literally put on the line in order to preserve a specimen for the company. If that isn't saying anything about workers rights in a corporate workspace, I don't really know what is.

By Aliens, you start to explore a very critical look at the US military complex. Here you have the United States Colonial Marines, emphasis on United States, getting their strings pulled by this mega-corporation. People are once again expendable in favor of the almighty dollar. And the presentation of the marines themselves is a pretty well-documented stand-in for the mentality of the US military during the Vietnam War, and it is harshly critical of that -  people remember all of the fun, quippy one-liners, but what they forget is that this OOH RAH mentality is actually a blanket that these characters hide behind and are limited by, a presentation of people so high on their own belief in unmatched power. The film then explicitly challenges that power and because the marines are so woefully unprepared, they fail miserably, with most of them dying in the span of a single scene.

Repeat these concepts ad infinitum, throughout the franchise, with various different takes and ideologies attached each time, but they are all political nonetheless.

This is like the people whining that Star Wars or comic books are only just now becoming political. Star Wars was literally a story about a rebellion going up against a fascist government from its very first film, and as time went on, it began to explore the dichotomy of those two structures and how a democracy could crumble into fascism in real time. Comic books have always made it a point to represent characters from every walk of life, with the heroes often being the "little guy" and the villains representing the big institutions with a chokehold on our world.

Some people just like to forget that all of the stories they love are political, until they see a person of color or a woman or LGBT representation, and then all of a sudden it is only now political in their eye, so they take to the internet to scream about it. People overlook the fact that Luke Skywalker was toppling space Nazis and that Iron Man was a weapons developer who found new meaning in life and switched gears to using his money to help people. Both of those narratives are inherently political to their core. But it only becomes apparent to some people that these stories are political when you swap Luke out with Rey, or Iron Man with Captain Marvel, or John Connor with Dani Ramos, etc.

I shit you not, I saw people complaining about HBO's Watchmen being political. Watchmen. Political. Who knew!?!

Ultramorph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2020, 12:27:28 PM

How so ?

Nightmare Asylum pretty much covered it. I'll just as the end of Alien 3 is an incredibly unsubtle pro-choice metaphor, as well.

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2020, 05:09:03 PM
How so ?

Alien is all about the employees of big corporate entity being stripped of their rights and sent down to survey a signal under forfeiture of shares for work that they had already completed, with their lives quite literally put on the line in order to preserve a specimen for the company. If that isn't saying anything about workers rights in a corporate workspace, I don't really know what is.

By Aliens, you start to explore a very critical look at the US military complex. Here you have the United States Colonial Marines, emphasis on United States, getting their strings pulled by this mega-corporation. People are once again expendable in favor of the almighty dollar. And the presentation of the marines themselves is a pretty well-documented stand-in for the mentality of the US military during the Vietnam War, and it is harshly critical of that -  people remember all of the fun, quippy one-liners, but what they forget is that this OOH RAH mentality is actually a blanket that these characters hide behind and are limited by, a presentation of people so high on their own belief in unmatched power. The film then explicitly challenges that power and because the marines are so woefully unprepared, they fail miserably, with most of them dying in the span of a single scene.

Repeat these concepts ad infinitum, throughout the franchise, with various different takes and ideologies attached each time, but they are all political nonetheless.

This is like the people whining that Star Wars or comic books are only just now becoming political. Star Wars was literally a story about a rebellion going up against a fascist government from its very first film, and as time went on, it began to explore the dichotomy of those two structures and how a democracy could crumble into fascism in real time. Comic books have always made it a point to represent characters from every walk of life, with the heroes often being the "little guy" and the villains representing the big institutions with a chokehold on our world.

Some people just like to forget that all of the stories they love are political, until they see a person of color or a woman or LGBT representation, and then all of a sudden it is only now political in their eye, so they take to the internet to scream about it. People overlook the fact that Luke Skywalker was toppling space Nazis and that Iron Man was a weapons developer who found new meaning in life and switched gears to using his money to help people. Both of those narratives are inherently political to their core. But it only becomes apparent to some people that these stories are political when you swap Luke out with Rey, or Iron Man with Captain Marvel, or John Connor with Dani Ramos, etc.

I shit you not, I saw people complaining about HBO's Watchmen being political. Watchmen. Political. Who knew!?!

OK, I get it now. Maybe back in the day it was more ... subtle ? I mean, there's a lot to Alien movies besides political stuff

Nightmare Asylum

I don't know... everything I listed out feels pretty surface level to me. I didn't exactly do much digging or analysis when I wrote any of that. It is just inherently part of the material.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed