Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,668 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: ZoomersLivinLarge on Jul 02, 2020, 09:35:52 PM
Oh, Jesus. These are going to suck just like everything coming out of the Big Two. Its not just the capeshit either, everything Marvel is putting out is ass. Their Conan comic is like thumbscrews. Not that the smaller companies have been putting out gold either, but still at least DH was the Devil we knew.

And no, I don't care that this means we'll get to see Aliens vs Avengers or Predator vs X-Men. Because they're going to suck, with awful artwork and worse writing.

The end of an era. I know. I know, and it sucks. Because duh! Everything is so mainstream now, and everyone has easy access to their favorite diversions / obsessions.  :)

I enjoy stuff for the sake of nostalgia as well. However, the funny thing about "good old days" thinking, is the notable habit of remembering only the positive aspects of times past while sweeping concomitant negatives under the rug.  :laugh:

EVILthePREDATOR

@ Immortan Jonesy

Absolutely right, there's always this tendency to view the past with rose tinted spectacles and be filled up with nostalgia.

It's like music, people talk about 60s and 70s being the defining eras of pop music. They always forget how much god awful music was also around at that time too. People only remember the bits that suit them. I believe the term is confirmation bias.

Mr.Turok

So after I read this in the Marvel website:

"Alien and Predator are the two of the most identifiable, iconic characters of all time, and I love them for that," said Finch. "But mostly, it's being fortunate enough to be a kid when they were new. I've seen every movie they've ever been in, and I cannot wait to see them wreaking havoc in the Marvel Universe. I drew my pictures of them with a massive smile on my face."

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-to-publish-new-alien-and-predator-stories

So that means Alien and Predator will be canon in the Marvel Universe then huh? If that is the case than will they make their own unique continuity? Combine both Marvel and Alien/Predator movie continuity? The characters from Dark Horse will be forgotten for new ones? How will Ripley, Dutch, Amanda and everyone else will fit in this?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Not really a surprise or a shock imo. 

DH Aliens comics were one of the few things I ever "collected" as a kid, as I own every single issue of the series, some in multiple forms and collections.  But lets not pretend that lots of early Aliens stuff was a) more than pg13 and b) any good.  Plenty of trash tales in the series and revisionist glasses do make things look better.

I remember several posters that have posted in this thread trashing the dh series five or six years ago. 

You will get more of the same and you will get them with more frequency and more consistently good, if formulatic tales. 

If they can't make any money off of it, then it will go somewhere else.  I don't see most Marvelites wanting the Aliens series because they can't argue over which alien has god tier abilities and which one doesnt.

I'm suspecting Marvel is wanting to try their hand at more mature writing sometime soonish anyways, as they have collected too many titles with R rating (including reacquiring their own netflix series) to not test the waters in that regard.

But whatever, the house of Mouse strikes again, we will have to see if Punisher vs the Aliens is any good or not. 

Tristian should just basically take what he loves about the Alien, make a knockoff creature, and write (or colab) his own storyline taking his maybe aliens in the direction he wants them to go in.  I'm sure DH would love to have something to fill the void. 

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 07:13:53 PM
sounds like it's time for tristan jones to make some friends at marvel

Easier said than done, especially from Australia...  :/

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 07:49:25 PM

Preferably with a good writer this time around. Or, even better, with him as the writer.

I adored his art in Defiance but that was really all I cared for in the run.

Thank you! And the only writer I work with these days is me. Might work against me, but I spent 4 years on the TMNT doing story, so I know I can do both.

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 09:16:29 PM

he teased a project he pitched two years ago that would have been an alien: isolation sequel which "was meant to be amanda ripley after crashing a ship somewhere on lv426, discovering an ancient engineer facility or temple ruins"

obviously never came to fruition, probably because of the plans fox had for amanda at the time, but it would have been glorious to see

I was actually deliberately sitting on this until I knew where Ridley's last film was going. I can't say I'm surprised the license went to Marvel. Spencer did give me the heads up it would probably happen. I'm just a bit gutted about the Predator one because I was invited to do that but likewise sat on that until things at home cleared up a bit. But who knows. I don't know the editor at all, but maybe some where down the line I'll be able to do both.

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
Dark Horse did some great stuff.  And some - to be kind - mediocre stuff.  The change to Marvel depends on the writers and artists they hire.

This. It also depends on how they decide to tell stories -- the Star Wars model seems fraught to me.

I guess if anything it means Marvel will reprint everything again in the big COMPLETE EDITIONS they've been doing with Conan.

EVILthePREDATOR

@ tyrannosaurusjones

Gutted for you bud I really am.

426Buddy

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 03, 2020, 02:17:18 AM
@ tyrannosaurusjones

Gutted for you bud I really am.

Me too

its fitting that its announced in 2020 I guess

j0nesy

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jul 03, 2020, 02:12:42 AM

send the marvel editors some vegemite!

EVILthePREDATOR

@ j0nesy

Only if they can name what all of Aussie slang means!! Saying that they have Chris Hemsworth! I'm sure they will be fine! Haha 😂

j0nesy

haha

@ tyrannosaurusjones

i think i remember you mentioning that you were doing some art for cold iron studios, are you still working on that? has the series moving from fox to disney affected that?

SiL

Just wait for them to start filming Marvel movies back up here on the Gold Coast and sneak in. I'm sure Taika will be back, he seems like an approachable dude. ;D

I mean sure it's the film department, but it's better than nothing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It'll be interesting to see what direction they take with the lore in the comics regarding the Engineers and David.  That may be an indicator of their future intentions with the movie series.

Perfect-Organism

Whaaaat!!!????

Ok.  I guess.  Let's see where this goes.

I really hope we get that Alien alt script done..

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 02:55:10 AM
It'll be interesting to see what direction they take with the lore in the comics regarding the Engineers and David.  That may an indicator of  their future intentions with the movie series.

I wonder whether they are going to retcon or being faithful to such part of the lore.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jul 03, 2020, 01:50:44 AM
So after I read this in the Marvel website:

"Alien and Predator are the two of the most identifiable, iconic characters of all time, and I love them for that," said Finch. "But mostly, it's being fortunate enough to be a kid when they were new. I've seen every movie they've ever been in, and I cannot wait to see them wreaking havoc in the Marvel Universe. I drew my pictures of them with a massive smile on my face."

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-to-publish-new-alien-and-predator-stories

So that means Alien and Predator will be canon in the Marvel Universe then huh? If that is the case than will they make their own unique continuity? Combine both Marvel and Alien/Predator movie continuity? The characters from Dark Horse will be forgotten for new ones? How will Ripley, Dutch, Amanda and everyone else will fit in this?

I don't know, I think it's too soon to have a clear idea.  :-\

I can see something like that happening with the AVP concept though.  :-X

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 09:16:29 PM

he teased a project he pitched two years ago that would have been an alien: isolation sequel which "was meant to be amanda ripley after crashing a ship somewhere on lv426, discovering an ancient engineer facility or temple ruins"

obviously never came to fruition, probably because of the plans fox had for amanda at the time, but it would have been glorious to see

I was actually deliberately sitting on this until I knew where Ridley's last film was going. I can't say I'm surprised the license went to Marvel. Spencer did give me the heads up it would probably happen. I'm just a bit gutted about the Predator one because I was invited to do that but likewise sat on that until things at home cleared up a bit. But who knows. I don't know the editor at all, but maybe some where down the line I'll be able to do both.

Stunning design. I think you are great in both; keeping Scott's direction as you pay a nice tribute to Giger. Both are solid references

I'd love to see more of the Engineers drawn by you on future projects.  8)

dragonthingy

This is going to be a disaster. Marvel Comics are a complete shitshow, hiring employees based on their minority status and not their talent, lagging sales, politics inejcting themselves into the stories, and creators attacking the fans. RIP AvP comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed