Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,623 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: T Dog on Jul 02, 2020, 10:39:57 PM
So can Dark Horse still reprint their old series then? I'm curious to know what this means for the future of "The Essential Collections" they were doing.

Marvel stated in the press release on their site that they will have more announcements regarding the future (including reprints) at the SDCC @ Home event later this month. I'm guessing it will be a similar situation as it is with Star Wars, where Marvel absorbs all of the previous material and can reprint old Dark Horse stuff as their own will, now with a Marvel label. I think a lot of the old Dark Horse Star Wars "Legends" stuff has been reprinted as part of Marvel's Epic series, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's where old Alien/Predator stuff lands too.

Huggs

If I read comics, I expect I'd be upset by this.

I'll try to stay optimistic about the movies.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 02, 2020, 11:11:21 PM
If I read comics, I expect I'd be upset by this.

I'll try to stay optimistic about the movies.

Would you embrace a cinematic universe? or just good Alien / Predator movies?

Huggs

My mind's open. Nothing could ever be worse than The Predator.

I mean, surely that's not possible?

Xiggz456

At the end of the day I'm just excited that we're still going to be getting new stories under the Disney umbrella.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 02, 2020, 05:16:01 PM
End of an era, but we all knew it would be coming eventually.

I'm not sure how I feel about something like Iron Man Vs Predator or Guardians of the Galaxy vs Aliens but I guess we'll see how things go. Hopefully they do things similar to the way Dark Horse did and keep the cross overs minimal.

About the violence/gore worry; maybe these will fall under the MAX title so we can get more adult oriented content. The Punisher's max titles are always super violent (and tbh he's the only Marvel hero I'd want to see fight a Predator).

Why do I feel like the McKenna wearing Predator Killer and Tony Stark wearing Iron Man suit will be involved in a Iron Man vs Predator story fighting off a Predator invasion?

On a serious take though, in one way I don't think it is exactly going to be all terrible. f**k maybe some naive hope in me believes  that Alien and Predator will be part of the mainstream view and draw forth a new age of possibilities with new blood entering into the fandom but at the same time with how Marvel is doing with comics these days......  :-\

As for them not going Mature....idk has anyone seen Deadpool lately? Like Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe? Or that one comic where Sandman kills Spider-Man via just bursting his stomach full of sand? They can go super dark if they want so that was never the issue for me.

Oh and writing/lore consistency though......oh f**k  :(

SuperiorIronman

I'm interested how they're going to handle the lore.

For Predator I'm not worried about the tone or violence. Having Iron man dead on the announcement image is about as good as I needed. This is the same company that puts out Immortal Hulk so I'm not worried about the level of violence. If you're going to go hard with it, this is fine. But the lore is what's got me worried because Hunting Grounds finally got us back on track and it'd be an absolute shame to see that all go out the window. Hunters also had a lot of good lore through prior stories being brought back into the fold so what ever the Marvel era brings it's not as hard to stick the landing as Star Wars, but the writers do have to be on their A game because this will set the scene for everything that comes next. That being said I'm confident they'll do the right thing and stick someone like Hickman or Ewing on it.

Essentially first impressions are going to be really important come next year because we're about to see a lot of new faces to the franchise. For better or worse we're going to see the Disney era enter full swing. Hunting Grounds is a great first impression, but the comics will be where things really pick up.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 02, 2020, 11:19:46 PM

I know I say this every 11 years, but no. Nothing can be worse than The Predator. Hopefully  :-X

EVILthePREDATOR

Neca guys, surely this takeover complicates it for them?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 02, 2020, 10:56:33 PM
It actually really hurts, I was dreading this happening but I didn't realize how upset it would make me. Doesn't matter who the license went to either. I haven't read comics since I was a kid and even then I wasn't really into them that much.

Except Dark Horse Alien/Predator/AvP comics. I can't even articulate how special they were to me. I loved the films from a really young age, they are among some of my first memories actually, at least Aliens. When I discovered Alien comics that was it, in love. I know that all sounds dumb but it's true.

It doesn't sound dumb brother. Dark Horse's work within these franchises have been a fixture in our lives pushing 35 years. It truly is an end of an era... and it's hard not to feel emotional about it.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 02, 2020, 11:38:29 PM

I don't know why it would. This would affect Darkhorse but I don't see how or why it would affect Neca who does the toys. They might stop putting bios on the back of the Predator toys but I don't see how this would affect production.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2020, 11:28:49 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 02, 2020, 11:19:46 PM

I know I say this every 11 years, but no. Nothing can be worse than The Predator. Hopefully  :-X

Tony Stark Iron Man and McKenna Predator Killer vs Predator Invasion.  :laugh:
With Iron Man dead in the Cinematic Universe, thankfully we can avert that in cinema.

But damm holy shit let me bring back an oldie clip from years go, Predator vs Wolverine, who knew that this can actually be a possible thing?

In all honestly though, this road is shrouded in demoralizing unknowns and I have no idea where it will take us but I do hope it might be something good for us all.

Wweyland

Thank You Dark Horse

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 02, 2020, 11:40:26 PM
Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 02, 2020, 11:38:29 PM

I don't know why it would. This would affect Darkhorse but I don't see how or why it would affect Neca who does the toys. They might stop putting bios on the back of the Predator toys but I don't see how this would affect production.

The only thing I can imagine it affecting on Neca's end is the Kenner remakes, since those ship with reprints of the Dark Horse-labeled mini comics, don't they?

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Super Power Smackdown is cool, and the W vs P edition is a lot of fun! I was thinking of that, and thanks to Mr. Turok for posting the link.

The best DH Alien and Predator stuff was wonderful! Thanks to them for doing that.

I've read a fair amount of new Marvel Star Wars. There is a lot of love for the characters and the lore in the writing and the artwork. I think a lot of hard work goes into those books. They're not phoning it in. If that spirit carries over to new Alien and Predator comics, everything should be fine. I hope for the best and look forward to seeing what they do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed