Triple Jointed Knees

Started by irving343, Jul 13, 2014, 04:44:35 PM

Author
Triple Jointed Knees (Read 9,164 times)

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2014, 08:22:44 AM
They're not triple jointed.  And anyway, there is a clause in the AvPG membership which specifically states any deviation from the unholy glory that is Giger's design for a possible intelligent reason must be denigrated.

On penalty of total forfeiture of fanboy card.

No lulz.
:laugh:

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2014, 10:06:16 AM
QuoteHere, check it out for those insistent that the legs on the creature are otherwise:

That would be no one.
:laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:

:laugh: @ Converse

Jenga

Jenga

I know it's not essential but I do agree the re-design is a missed opportunity. They should at least restore human style legs to the pre-order DLC levels that aim to recreate scenes in the Alien film. They will not of course.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 15, 2014, 01:09:02 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2014, 08:22:44 AM
They're not triple jointed.  And anyway, there is a clause in the AvPG membership which specifically states any deviation from the unholy glory that is Giger's design for a possible intelligent reason must be denigrated.

On penalty of total forfeiture of fanboy card.

No lulz.

I don't wanna hear it. I wanna board sevastopol and party!

Me too. Tell you what, when you guys get cocooned beside me by the Alien, lets have a blast, and sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" till kingdom come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo#

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

All legs have three joints.

SM

SM

PsyKore

PsyKore

I have no problem with the legs, but it is odd to have those legs if the Alien is human-born.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Why do some people get hang up over the human host = human legs thing? It has a banana head, inner jaw, exoskeleton and acid for blood as well. The legs can be whatever shape it turns out to be. Its Alien.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I don't think Giger's intention was for the head to look like a "Banana".

SM

SM

Quote from: gabgrave on Jul 16, 2014, 12:24:42 PM
Why do some people get hang up over the human host = human legs thing? It has a banana head, inner jaw, exoskeleton and acid for blood as well. The legs can be whatever shape it turns out to be. Its Alien.

Precedent set in the source material.  Just minor details like that...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quite, the banana never falls far from the tree.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

I've no issue with the redesign of the legs whatsoever.  Heck, if I had been in charge of making this game; I would have made the same decision.  Let's get something straight here; Ridley Scott's 'Alien' is my favourite film ever but when you finally see the creature in a wide shot (as it's blown from the shuttle's engine); it's clearly a man-in-a-suit.  Yes, us fans can justify it by saying "that's because it inherited its human hosts DNA" but that doesn't stop it from looking a little silly (perhaps not to a seasoned fan such as us members of the forum - but certainly to more casual viewers).  Just because I adore 'Alien', that doesn't mean that I can't recognise its flaws (after-all, no film is absolutely perfect).

Could they have stuck with the original design? Yes.  Am I glad they chose not to?  Absolutely.

Ultimately, it's all subjective but really; what does it matter?  It's the most nitpicky of nitpicks.  Also, when playing the game; you'll be cowering in fear from the alien.  You're not going to be getting up close and personal to gawp at it's legs.  You could always try I suppose, if you fancy becoming lunch.

irving343

irving343

As I said, I'm still  very excited for the game, it looks incredible, after reading these responses, I feel slightly better about the legs, but it is still a small gripe.
In the words of Lambert, "I like griping".

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jul 17, 2014, 08:55:57 PM
I've no issue with the redesign of the legs whatsoever.  Heck, if I had been in charge of making this game; I would have made the same decision.  Let's get something straight here; Ridley Scott's 'Alien' is my favourite film ever but when you finally see the creature in a wide shot (as it's blown from the shuttle's engine); it's clearly a man-in-a-suit.  Yes, us fans can justify it by saying "that's because it inherited its human hosts DNA" but that doesn't stop it from looking a little silly (perhaps not to a seasoned fan such as us members of the forum - but certainly to more casual viewers).  Just because I adore 'Alien', that doesn't mean that I can't recognise its flaws (after-all, no film is absolutely perfect).

Could they have stuck with the original design? Yes.  Am I glad they chose not to?  Absolutely.

Ultimately, it's all subjective but really; what does it matter?  It's the most nitpicky of nitpicks.  Also, when playing the game; you'll be cowering in fear from the alien.  You're not going to be getting up close and personal to gawp at it's legs.  You could always try I suppose, if you fancy becoming lunch.

And provided the game is really good in the end, I'm sure people will forget about any design flaws they perceive! :)

Dill-On

Dill-On

One of my biggest interests in my life are zoology and concept art.

I think, that triple jointed knees are good for animal like Alien. I know.. first movie, original concept by Giger...
Think about it - it was 1979. The project had to comply with the technical requirements.
I mean costume :)

I love art of Hans R. Giger, but my favourite version of alien ever was drawn by Kilian Plunkett for "ALIENS: LABIRYNTH" graphic novel.
In fact, this is just Giger's Alien with... triple jointed knees. Nothing more, nothing less.

bobby brown

bobby brown

People, keep in mind that the developers didn't change the legs for shitz & giggles, The new legs have a purpose; to make it move more convincingly.

And considering that Ridley scott wanted something that resembles a human as little as possible while making the film, I dont find it unlikely that he would make the alien look like this if he only could, back in the day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed