Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 82,719 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 19, 2016, 06:13:18 PM
This is an argument that's trying to say that Alien 3, the worst received Alien movie according to The Alien Saga documentary, should be considered the exception to not just one but multiple established rules in movie fiction:

1) When a character is killed offscreen, it's always for convenience reasons rather than to tell a good story (e.g. Teriminator 3, Jaws: The Revenge, Independence Day: Resurgence).
Hell no that's not a rule.

Quote2) When a character is killed in the intro of a horror movie, it's always for shock value rather than plot value (e.g. The Grudge sequels, Cabin Fever 2, Hostel 2).
It usually starts the plot of the movie rolling, actually.

Quote3) ADF is capable of writing amazing books that while slightly different from the script still keep to the story (e.g. Terminator: Salvation, Star Wars: The Force Awakens).[/b]
This is an established rule of movie fiction ... ?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Jan 20, 2016, 09:02:48 PM
This is an argument that's trying to say that Alien 3, the worst received Alien movie according to The Alien Saga documentary, should be considered the exception to not just one but multiple established rules in movie fiction:

1) When a character is killed offscreen, it's always for convenience reasons rather than to tell a good story (e.g. Teriminator 3, Jaws: The Revenge, Independence Day: Resurgence).

So, you know a movie that kills off one of their main characters offscreen that isn't for convenience reasons? ???

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 20, 2016, 10:29:22 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 20, 2016, 09:02:48 PM

So, you know a movie that kills off one of their main characters offscreen that isn't for convenience reasons? ???

Surely Alien? With both Dallas (excluding DC) and Lambert being killed offscreen.

predxeno

predxeno

I was actually referring to sequels where people are killed between movie plots hence the term "killed offscreen" means we don't see how they died but are only told how they died through a third party; in this regard, Dallas and Lambert aren't considered offscreen deaths because we are more or less with them when they meet their end, we just don't see the exact details of their demise.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: 420Buddy on Jan 20, 2016, 04:42:21 PM
Well you did say the ending of aliens is stupid and cheesy (which is fantastically incorrect). It's like you are the personification of alien3, sooo very bitter that you weren't as good as the masterpieces that preceded it.

Going for cheap shots, ey?

QuoteIt's like when someone says the ending of jaws is cheesy because you can't blow an air tank up like that, its obvious they just don't get it and they never will. For the record I love the first 3 alien movies, perfect trilogy IMO but I also understand that alien3  just isn't on par with it's predecessors.

So you didn't get what I was saying. Not my problem.

QuoteAlien will always be my favorite, aliens, alien3, and then Alien Res.

Ok.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

And where does the Predator fit into all of this alienezzy talk?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

He's staying cloaked observing from the trees.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 20, 2016, 10:29:22 PMSo, you know a movie that kills off one of their main characters offscreen that isn't for convenience reasons? ???

Ever heard of No Country for Old Men?

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 20, 2016, 08:15:49 PMLighting is the main issue.

Not being able to see sh*t certainly didn't help, but the simple fact is even if you could see what was going on, the movie would still be hopelessly terrible.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2016, 08:49:07 AM

Not being able to see sh*t certainly didn't help, but the simple fact is even if you could see what was going on, the movie would still be hopelessly terrible.

It wasn't lighting. It was colour grading.

As I said though, we've gone drastically off topic. I'll try and split these posts up into new threads soon. I'll post links back here.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 20, 2016, 10:29:22 PMSo, you know a movie that kills off one of their main characters offscreen that isn't for convenience reasons? ???

Ever heard of No Country for Old Men?

You'll have to be more specific regarding which characters died "offscreen" as I haven't seen the film, regardless I'm not sure that example is comparable because our discussion is focusing more on sequels getting rid of unwanted main characters.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 21, 2016, 07:36:52 PMYou'll have to be more specific regarding which characters died "offscreen" as I haven't seen the film.

Spoiler
Literally the main one. Tommy Lee Jones shows up at a motel and you find out Josh Brolin's been killed by the villains while you were following the other characters around.
[close]

predxeno

predxeno

I've checked wikipedia and gotten a rough approximation of what happened in that movie, as I said before I'm not sure it's a comparable example to the one we are discussing.  As I said, we're more talking about the killing of main characters at the intro of movies (or beforehand) to the extent that those characters don't even get an actor to portray them.  I don't qualify Moss as an offscreen death because he was indeed portrayed by an actor and his death was set up (I'm assuming) to heighten the emotional impact of his body's discovery.  Regardless, we should really stick back to the original topic of this thread as nobody's opinion will be changing anytime soon.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 09:22:01 AM

It wasn't lighting. It was colour grading.

As I said though, we've gone drastically off topic. I'll try and split these posts up into new threads soon. I'll post links back here.
Oh, color grading. Wait can't they fix that? Yea I'm already assuming the answer to that is no.

Poor predator feels so left out in the cold. Why no one talking about his movies. :P

SiL

SiL

Colour grading can be fixed.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

It's not even color grading, it's post production contrast/brightness f**kery. Color grading might pull some of the light, but it shouldn't make certain scenes nigh pitch-black.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed