Mass Effect

Started by Space Sweeper, Dec 12, 2010, 01:46:57 AM

Author
Mass Effect (Read 421,261 times)

Gate

Gate

Nobody complained about Ashley being straight, yet more people were weirded out by Kaden deciding he's bi in ME3.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I honestly didn't know that because I always leave Kaden on virmire...

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Mar 18, 2017, 04:48:47 AM
I honestly didn't know that because I always leave Kaden on virmire...

Leave.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 17, 2017, 06:03:20 AM
https://twitter.com/ashelia/status/842563632189784064

What is it with people associating short haired women with homosexuality? I have a friend who has the "short haired = lesbian" mentality and it's really annoying.

Alright, she has short hair and is straight, whoop dee f**king doo!

"Queer coded" maybe the straight person likes the style? Ever consider that? What is queer coded anyway? First time I heard this term. I don't think a style is "gay" in any way, it's the sexual orientation that makes one gay or not. The style is a personal choice, I could choose to grow my hair and dye it pink and start wearing bright coloured clothes, someone's bound to think "he's definitely 100% gay" and they'd be wrong.

(Not having a go at you Sabby, just those dumb tweets.)

Those people need to go outside and take a nice deep breath and just appreciate the world for a moment. Stop worrying about a fictional character's sexuality.

Sabby

Sabby

Real talk, it's because people assumed it before hand (Which was ironically Problematic in the first place and just goes to show how they're as bad as they accuse others of being) and so already started to identify with her. Confirming she was straight is telling these people that connection they formed is wrong and the feelings that came from it are illegitimate and have to be put away now. To a well adjusted, socialized human adult, this is a very easy thing to do.

I don't want to dominate the discussion with the ridiculous antics of Bioware fans though, just nothing is happening right now. 4 more days until I can get my hands on it, and I'm actually quite anxious about it.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Spoiler
So I finally came to end the 10 hours so thing pre-access and despite being very optimistic of the game in the first place, I'm full of worries now for the game.

I don't give much about characters sexuality/orientation, facial animations and so on, in fact this never bothered me the least in any mass effect.
What bother me much is that the game is really closer (despite appearance) to ME3 than both ME1 and ME2. It's something where they spent much effort into combat, driving vehicles and multiplayer and have left the Single Player most basic elements to the side.

Dialog choices are pretty poor and neutral, there were a thousands things I wanted to say or felt like Sheppard in ME2 would have say but the option never rose so I was left there with a passable answer that I didn't care of.
There's especially this thing at the beginning where Liam one of your squadmate decides on his own to kill a Kett first while right before it I stated "let's handle it with first contact protocole, don't shoot unless we're being shot at first" and what does the guy do at first? Launch a grenade instantly at the ennemies because they are beating a bit another friend. So he killed them both and I really wanted to have this dialog saying "doode WTF! I said do not fire unless fire upon" but nah, every answer was vague like "Oh we are the invaders bad guy" either with a touch of humour or seriously. I'm really disappointed and I fear the rest of the game is going to be very action oriented and the story/dialog will be drawback.

The story itself, let's speak of it. It fails at the rudimentary basis for a beginning. Within the first 3 hours of game, I had no ideas what I was supposed to do, who are the ennemies (beside my squadmate who fired upon a new Alien species first) and what's the plot to be honest. The second mission is a copy/paste of the first mission on a different planet where you have to de-activate some kind of weather tower. And guess what, there's likely to be one on each planet, so the main campaign has likely seven mission which are absolutely identical. ::)
I'm really disappointed the game opening did not happen on the milkyway, because of that I barely make any connection to the milkyway and the 634 years of nap feels very casual because for me the game started arriving at Andromeda. If I was a new player I would really wonder who are these aliens species with me and as a Mass Effect Player I really can't manage to connect with anyone because everyone came in a different ark and this is explained like a surprise "after" you arrived at Andromeda while this would have been smart and logical to have the character be briefed (rapidly but still) on the milkyway galaxy so you know you goals very clearly.

I also for fun started listening to the soundtrack and, I know each one his taste but it's really nothing close to any Mass Effect beside the galaxy map soundtrack perhaps. You'll notice that ingame, all musics are kind of swallow, they don't stand out and manage to be unnoticeable which is also due to the fact there are probably only a handful music for the entire game that will be repeated copy/pasted during the entire adventure rather than having a large soundtrack like the first two ME which alternates from time to time to fit the atmosphere.
[close]

Sabby

Sabby

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

The only good thing to come from this so far is the insistence that Sara Ryder is autistic and thus has become waifu material overnight.

I love the internet.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Samhain13

Samhain13

So I just heard that the lead facial animator for Andromeda was an online cosplayer with no video game experience.

Is that true? Now that explains the animations.

Andromeda has already become a internet meme to laugh at. What a shame.

Sabby

Sabby

You might be thinking of the women who falsely took credit for the animations (I have no idea why anyone would do that) by lying on her Twitter profile. I'd like to say 'the f**k were you thinking?', but even if she was responsible for them, she shouldn't be attacked for it. I also don't think the racist c**t in charge should suffer any repercussions for this either.

The only thing that members of the MEA team should be held accountable for is the same things every other dev team is. If you can demonstrate shadiness or extreme incompetence, then, by all means, go after them through official channels, but they shouldn't lose their jobs over substandard work or shitty opinions. The first is up to EA, the second is their right to be idiots.

Still waiting on my code, still convinced I'll like the game. People are citing the 7/10 average ratings as proof the game is garbage when that's a pretty decent score.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Dat writing

I feel you, Salarian bro. I feel you.

Sabby

Sabby

People are comparing the animations to Oblivion.

I... think Oblivion looks better. The faces in that were bad, but you could just tell it was a face rig reading data. Everything it did was mechanical, but you could chop the conversations up into single muscle shifts and see something that didn't repulse you. It was recognizable as a human-like face that was moving.

Andromeda doesn't have that for me. It holds horrible expressions for too long, the eyes hold still as the head moves, the entire cheek will pull up like someone off screen is pulling it with a hook, and the entire f**king mouth just extends out of the face like a Pingu Xenomorph.

I hate to sound like one of the hyperbolic shitbabies that are going after this game, but I'm sorry, they're right in this case. Oblivions facial animations, while being their own kind of terrible, are generally better.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Jesus, how the mighty have fallen. Environments look great, that's it lolThe problem with the facial animations, is that they're spasmodic when they should be subtle, dead when they should be expressive, they're just all over the map; there are moments where they're serviceable but they are few and far between. I'm not even a big Mass Effect fan; having only played a little here and there, but damn did they drop the ball here.

Sabby

Sabby

The original Trilogy had some jank to it, but overall, it was good. Honestly, the animations here aren't the problem for me, it's the writing. I'm hearing universally negative things about the writing (outside of maybe two people on the Reddit who I'm convinced are a bad bus trip away from being initiated into a cult) and that's the real shame to me. I know I should play it first, but considering the f**king dialogue in Peebees loyalty mission, I can believe that.

Mass Effect should not be evoking memories of Final Fantasy X-2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed