A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 52,506 times)

Perfect-Organism

All Aliens films were basically about preventing an Alien infestation on earth.  In doing so, they basically set up a promise that should be fulfilled, that earth will one day be infested with the Aliens.

If you make the infestation such a big theme.  Let it happen, and make a good story out of it.

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 25, 2018, 12:22:30 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 25, 2018, 05:37:35 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Oct 25, 2018, 04:02:02 AM
Indeed. Alien is "hard" science fiction, no space opera or soap opera.

In truth it's neither.  It's about humanity rising above the stark coldness of the universe.  That was the essence of Aliens.

I think you're confusing hard science fiction with mean-spirited sci-fi, where everything has to be destroyed in the face of the unrelenting malice of the Aliens.  You're ignoring the "Disney-like" magic of a little girl surviving for weeks without any weapons or training.

Horseshit. Aliens 1986's = underestimation.
The Alien Or "The stark coldness of the Universe."

Realistic, m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶r̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ regardless.
The universe's apathetic,  a black hole and the Alien (Franchise/Universe) is.
The Alien, AI, Capitalism, W-Y - Apathetic.

Why are you disparaging my opinion by calling it horseshit?  I am very respectful of your opinions.

The Old One

The Old One

A promise "AVP" & "AVPR" trampled over.
Unless the depiction of Earth is distinctive.

Apologies.

Perfect-Organism

;). Accepted.  No worries the Old One.  We're all just fans talking about one of our favorite pieces of fiction.  I don't think my opinion is anymore valid than yours.  It's just different.

I do agree that seeing AVP:R kind of damaged the potential of seeing aliens on earth.  To make it work, the approach would have to be completely different.  Having it take place in a future, urban metropolis would be a step in the right direction, but also showing that metropolis ravaged would be very cool.

Just no broad daylight Aliens.  They need to mostly come at night.  Mostly.

TC

TC

As much as I like Giger's designs and O'Bannon's xeno biology (and science fiction in general), these things alone are not enough to make an Alien movie really fulfilling for me. I also want a futuristic, outer space, sci-fi hardware setting as well. A story without these things is really the territory of EU esoterica, like a Dark Horse comic.

Here's a simple example of what I mean:

Most of you will have seen this fan-film before (it's been quite easily found on YouTube since 2016).

To me, the problem is that the story is just too earth-bound to really cut it as an Alien-worthy film. Of course, this is a micro-budget hobby film so it needs to be cut some slack (and in fact I think it's very well made - the filmmaker seems to have some professional level experience). But even when I imagine it boosted by a $1m production budget and set in some apartment building in the year 2200, it still doesn't do it for me.

Alien stories are best partnered with space-ships, far off planets, sci-fi hardware and sci-fi production design. This is the proper setting that makes up a 'feature film' level (or TV series level) "Alien" story. For me, anyway.

I guess it's also relevant to admit that one of the things that disappointed me about Alien 3 (that I've never heard anyone else say), is the rather prosaic production design. All that money spent on set design and stage builds and they could have just gone on location to a hydro-dam somewhere.

So, 'yes' to an Alien series, but set in outer space, not earth.

TC

BTW, for the few of you that might have missed the above fan-film's sequel:

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TC on Oct 26, 2018, 12:38:30 PM
As much as I like Giger's designs and the O'Bannon's xeno biology (and science fiction in general), these things are not enough to make an Alien movie really fulfilling for me. I also want a futuristic, outer space, sci-fi hardware setting as well. A story without these things is really the territory of EU esoterica, like a Dark Horse comic.

Here's a simple example of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEOBDrYuiE

Most of you will have seen this fan-film before (it's been quite easily found on YouTube since 2016).

To me, the problem is that the story is just too earth-bound to really cut it as an Alien-worthy film. Of course, this is a micro-budget hobby film so it needs to be cut some slack (and in fact I think it's very well made - the filmmaker seems to have some professional level experience). But even when I imagine it boosted by a $1m production budget and set in some apartment building in the year 2200, it still doesn't do it for me.

Alien stories are best partnered with space-ships, far off planets, sci-fi hardware and production design. This is the proper setting that makes up a 'feature film' level (or TV series level) "Alien" story. For me, anyway.

I guess it's also relevant to admit that one of the things that disappointed me about Alien 3 (that I've never heard anyone else say), is the rather prosaic production design. All that money spent on set design and stage builds and they could have just gone on location to a hydro dam somewhere.

So, 'yes' to an Alien series, but set in outer space, not earth.

TC

BTW, for the few of you that might have missed the above fan-film's sequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGTFsfu0w-o

I mostly agree with you.  AVP:R's earth setting failed because it was too "every day".  If an alien series on earth is to work, it needs to show an earth far in the future, with cool sci-fi designs reflecting the high tech of the times.  You need to feel like you're on a space-ship on earth for it to work.  If you've seen the extended edition of Avatar, which shows a future earth, that would work well, IMO.

The Old One

The Old One

Or Blade Runner.

Perfect-Organism

Yep.  Basically the same idea.  It would also be really creepy if they would completely hide during day time, and just come out at night.  This way, the film would have a darker tone with activities taking place at night.

The Old One

The Old One

True.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 26, 2018, 02:32:28 PM
Yep.  Basically the same idea.  It would also be really creepy if they would completely hide during day time, and just come out at night.  This way, the film would have a darker tone with activities taking place at night.
I like that premise.

HuDaFuK

Eh, I still find the idea of the wholesale conquest of Earth kinda daft.

Best left to the comic books.

TC

There's nothing logically wrong with xenos on earth. But to me it just doesn't suit the established milieu of Alien. It's like taking Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th and setting him in outer space in the year 2455 (as in the film Jason X).  :-\

TC

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TC on Oct 26, 2018, 03:23:59 PMIt's like taking Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th and setting him in outer space in the year 2455 (as in the film Jason X). 

In comparison, I don't think it's quite that out there, as long as the timeline makes sense... i.e. it takes place in the future and not present day Earth.

TC

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2018, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: TC on Oct 26, 2018, 03:23:59 PMIt's like taking Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th and setting him in outer space in the year 2455 (as in the film Jason X). 

In comparison, I don't think it's quite that out there, as long as the timeline makes sense... i.e. it takes place in the future and not present day Earth.

OK, well I chose an example that was so extreme I mislead you into thinking that "out there" was the determining factor.

Here's an alternative example that's not at all out there: Remember when they took the character Trapper John from the comedy TV show MASH and placed him in a present day hospital drama in San Francisco? Entirely rational, story-wise; but to anyone who was a fan of his character from the original Korean war comedy setting, just not right.

Alien has always been a space-setting to me. When it got too grounded (even in Alien 3), even that irked me somewhat.

TC

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TC on Oct 26, 2018, 04:57:17 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2018, 03:32:17 PM

OK, well I chose an example that was so extreme I mislead you into thinking that "out there" was the determining factor.

Here's an alternative example that's not at all out there: Remember when they took the character Trapper John from the comedy TV show MASH and placed him in a present day hospital drama in San Francisco? Entirely rational, story-wise; but to anyone who was a fan of his character from the original Korean war comedy setting, just not right.

Alien has always been a space-setting to me. When it got too grounded (even in Alien 3), even that irked me somewhat.

TC
Yet "Trapper John" was popular and lasted 7 seasons.

Personally I see the concept work just like the Predator Jungle Hunter / City Hunter works, as long as it takes place on future Earth and well written / has a great showrunner who's respectful to the lore.

But I do understand and totally respect anyone not thrilled with the idea. :)

TC

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2018, 05:18:43 PM
Yet "Trapper John" was popular and lasted 7 seasons.

I'm not pretending in any way to hold the majority view on these matters. Just my opinion.

For example, I think William Shatner and I are the only 2 Trek fans on the planet that think setting Star Trek: The Voyage Home in present day San Francisco was a bad idea - that it defied Star Trek's futuristic, space setting that was intrinsic to its stories.

However, legions of Trek fans (and the box office) will protest otherwise.

Nonetheless, I'm an Alien fan. If such an "earth war" series ever comes to pass, you can bet I'll be watching and willing myself to enjoy it, just like I enjoyed ST:The Voyage Home, despite my reservation.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed