Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 327,717 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 03:44:18 AMAfter he starts killing humans his style devolves into "walk in, get wrecked, slaughter everything, walk out". That's not really hunting, no.

That's not even "animalistic" - predatory animals would be more cautious and get the f**k out when they started taking damage and realised they were in danger.

The only suitable analogy is a generic movie monster, rambling from carnage to carnage.

I didn't say Feral is nothing; I said that if the Predator can be anything, then a Predator is nothing.

Then a human would be nothing too since we can be anything as well 🤷 Honestly that logic makes no sense to me...

He has a style that's primitive. Animalistic. Rage filled.
That doesn't make him less of a hunter. That just makes him different from what we've seen before.

I fish. I use a pole. I think people who go noodling are crazy, but they're still fishing and that doesn't make them nothing; it makes them fishermen who are different from me, and that's ok...

PS. You should see a rage filled bear. Thankfully I've never seen this first hand but I've heard the stories (I lived in Alaska where bear stories are common). People armed with the wrong fire-arm (not powerful enough) shoot a bear and just piss it off more. It doesn't stop; it just rips them apart even more in a rage.
This was feral imo angry and brutal in his rage.

SiL

SiL

It's really easy; Predators aren't humans, they're fictional monsters that need to differentiate themselves from other fictional monsters. Removing the characteristics that define the Predator against its competition dilutes the character.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 04:33:43 AMIt's really easy; Predators aren't humans, they're fictional monsters that need to differentiate themselves from other fictional monsters. Removing the characteristics that define the Predator against its competition dilutes the character.
You remove the characteristics of anything and you're left with nothing...
So, of course, if you remove all of the hunting you have nothing left...
So, I still don't see your point. Feral was hunting using different tactics than the previous films. That still doesn't make him nothing.

SiL

SiL

I have never, at any point, called him nothing, and would really appreciate you not insisting on putting words in my mouth.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 02:18:57 AMSo predators are nothing then.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm trying to make sense of your point, unsuccessfully so far, so please elaborate

SiL

SiL

If the fictional monster known as the Predator can be "anything", then it ends up being nothing in particular. It's a name and a vague concept.

Even "interstellar big game hunter" is too vague. The Predator wasn't even the first human-hunting alien played by Kevin Peter Hall, let alone first human hunting alien on film.

The characterisation of the Predator is more than just "space hunter". I've said many, many times that doesn't mean they all need to be carbon copies - the first two Predators are very different in looks, personality, style, but still feel like the same species of character.

I'm not alone in feeling like Feral doesn't feel like a Predator.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 05:09:55 AMIf the fictional monster known as the Predator can be "anything", then it ends up being nothing in particular. It's a name and a vague concept.

Even "interstellar big game hunter" is too vague. The Predator wasn't even the first human-hunting alien played by Kevin Peter Hall, let alone first human hunting alien on film.

The characterisation of the Predator is more than just "space hunter". I've said many, many times that doesn't mean they all need to be carbon copies - the first two Predators are very different in looks, personality, style, but still feel like the same species of character.

I'm not alone in feeling like Feral doesn't feel like a Predator.

I still don't understand...
So because feral isn't the *same enough* he must be nothing?!
He looks different sure, but a poodle doesn't look like a husky. They're both still dogs.
Behavior-wise, feral is a hunter just like the others; he just has different tactics.
How exactly does this make him nothing?

How is "intergalactic big game hunter" too vague? That's exactly what the predator has always been for the past 35 years. But people didn't really confuse it with the Jason voorhees or Freddy.

Highland

Highland

Bear took damage...kept coming at Naru. Bear took a beating....still tried to fight the Predator.

I think Feral just thinks it's bigger and better (the Predator Ego) than everything else. Which to be fair....it is.

Jungle Hunter had to be at least careful it didn't get it's head blown off by a minigun and I don't think a movie where a Predator is picking off locals from the tree's sounds that great to be honest  :P

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Feral doesn't feel like previous incarnations precisely because he isn't; he's from a different hemisphere. Maoris don't fight like Vikings; Vikings don't fight like me when I'm ready to pillage my fridge for that last morsel of jerky. It's MY jerky.

I love the idea of diverse jerky, er, diverse Predators, lends further credence to the blood fueds between them all. Jungle Pred family are all like "We're the TRUE stealth hunters, you ferals are arrogant brutes; you're not true predators." The ferals, incensed yet thoughtful, reply, "You're committing the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy there, kiddo, our human jerky is superior with our more exotic spices mmmm."

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 05:41:34 AMI still don't understand...
Please help me understand, is there a language barrier here I should be aware of? I do not understand how you keep thinking I'm saying Feral is nothing when I have never said that?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 06:01:54 AM
Please help me understand, is there a language barrier here I should be aware of? I do not understand how you keep thinking I'm saying Feral is nothing when I have never said that?

There's no language barrier. I'm a native English speaker with a college education, in the STEM field. You literally said it before... 
"So predators are nothing then."
Explain the logic...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 06:05:25 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 06:01:54 AM

There's no language barrier. I'm a native English speaker with a college education, in the STEM field. You literally said it before... 
"So predators are nothing then."
Explain the logic...
Predators. Not Feral. Predators, in general.

If something can be everything then it is also nothing. We classify things by their differences to other things.

Predators aren't the only space hunters. They're not even the only space orc, as Feral is.

There is more nuance to the characterisation of the Predator as a distinct fictional entity than "space hunter with a funny face and some neat tools". It's those nuances that make the Predator a distinct and notable villainous character.

They don't all need to look the same or act the same, but strip out those nuances and you lose the finesse of what makes the Predator noteworthy.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Predator A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his jerky."
Predator B: "But my uncle Angus is a Scotsman and he puts sugar on his jerky."
Predator A: "But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his jerky."

Engineer

Engineer

That is true of everything though...
Take away the hunting characteristics of jungle hunter and you have nothing.
Take away the hunting characteristics of city hunter and you have nothing.
Take away the hunting characteristics of feral and you have nothing.
Take away the murderous characteristics of Jason voorhees and you have nothing.
What is your point? Of course; if you take away the characteristics of anything and you're left with nothing...

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 27, 2022, 10:44:40 PMI forgot about the bear trap. But then again, he had one also on his arm, and he flipped the thing and swung it at a frenchman like it was nothing.

That was awesome btw

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed