Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,572 times)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
Quote from: escroto on Feb 29, 2012, 11:37:45 AM
Seriously, criticizing pearce's performance (or the char he plays and his attitude) just because some people wanted more of chars like Bishop, Burke, etc, I mean characters that were created by Cameron, not by Scott, is as arrogant as the attitude they are criticizing in the role of Peter Weyland.
That's not why a lot of us are criticizing him. His performance is OTT and totally hammy. It plays almost like a parody of an arrogant businessman. Again, this is probably the fault of Jake Scott for either not reigning him, not giving a crap, or just having no time to do multiple takes. As it stands, the viral vid has some serious camp fumes coming off it. I don't expect the film to share that, but it's a bit worrying.
Hahaha your acting like a CEO of a multimillion dollar company shouldn't be self aggrandizing or an ego maniac or for that matter just plain mental, it's all about theatrics on speeches / presentations.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 11:57:27 AM
Hahaha your acting like a CEO of a multimillion dollar company shouldn't be self aggrandizing or an ego maniac or for that matter just plain mental, it's all about theatrics on speeches / presentations.

No, I'm saying Peter Weyland shouldn't be acting like Joan Crawford by way of Faye Dunaway at a Pepsi Co board meeting. There's scenery chewing, and then there's scenery chewing. The performance he gives in that viral vid is barely better than the crappy performances in AVP. Don't put on the fanboy-Rose-tinted-glasses.
And good lord, he most definitely should not be acting like that freak of nature. :-X

robbritton

robbritton

Exactamundo - it's a business junket, chaps. He's ever likely to be playing the super dramatic ham bit. It feels right for the character of the public face of an all powerful CEO. Let's reserve judgment for any quieter Pearce moments in the film proper.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:01:52 PM

No, I'm saying Peter Weyland shouldn't be acting like Joan Crawford by way of Faye Dunaway. There's scenery chewing, and then there's scenery chewing. The performance he gives in that viral vid is barely better than the crappy performances in AVP. Don't put on the fanboy-Rose-tinted-glasses.
And good lord, he most definitely should not be acting like that freak of nature. :-X

You miss my point then, there is nothing unrealistic about his portrayal, real people who are highly egocentric can and do scenery chew, I think it fit in the brief of representing a TED talk, I've watched a few and they are meant to be informative and somewhat theatric, that video just displays how ott real people can be when given a platform  ;D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:01:52 PM

No, I'm saying Peter Weyland shouldn't be acting like Joan Crawford by way of Faye Dunaway at a Pepsi Co board meeting. There's scenery chewing, and then there's scenery chewing. The performance he gives in that viral vid is barely better than the crappy performances in AVP. Don't put on the fanboy-Rose-tinted-glasses.
You speak as if you know the character of Peter Weyland from pre-existing material. So oh, lord Cvalda, should this newly introduced character act? And it's not as if Pearce's performance is the problem for you, but just the fact that this isn't how you imagined the founder of Weyland Corp would act.

Yeeep, put 'im in the bitchers bin, boys.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 12:08:03 PM
You miss my point then, there is nothing unrealistic about his portrayal, real people who are highly egocentric can and do scenery chew, I think it fit in with brief of representing a TED talk, I've watched a few and they are meant to be informative and somewhat theatric, that video just displays how ott real people can be when given a platform  ;D
But we don't need that in a frickin' ALIEN movie. Everyone hates the intentional camp in Resurrection, but I guess when it's blatant but unintentional it's okay? Pfft.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:11:35 PM
You miss my point then, there is nothing unrealistic about his portrayal, real people who are highly egocentric can and do scenery chew, I think it fit in with brief of representing a TED talk, I've watched a few and they are meant to be informative and somewhat theatric, that video just displays how ott real people can be when given a platform  ;D
But we don't need that in a frickin' ALIEN movie. Everyone hates the intentional camp in Resurrection, but I guess when it's blatant but unintentional it's okay? Pfft.

Fiorina, it's not a movie it's a viral based on a TED talk  ;D

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 29, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
You speak as if you know the character of Peter Weyland from pre-existing material. So oh, lord Cvalda, should this newly introduced character act? And it's not as if Pearce's performance is the problem for you, but just the fact that this isn't how you imagined the founder of Weyland Corp would act.
I have no problem with Weyland being an egomaniacal jerkass. I do have a problem with an actor failing miserably at it. It's not the character that's the problem, it's the performance: I don't see how anyone who appreciates good acting could take what Pearce was doing at all seriously. I mean, he even fails miserably with the English accent, and that's just for starters.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:11:35 PM
I think your glasses are fogged up.

There weren't realistic or believable characters in Resurrection, but Peter Weyland here? Hardly a stretch to believe. Ah yes, there can't be eccentric characters in an Alien movie, like there are in reality, because an Alien movie should be 'low-key' and 'monotonous'. First of all, don't get your panties in a knot, this isn't from Prometheus: The Alien Movie. Second of all, open your eyes for Christ's sake, they're not going to cater every part of this production to the isolated and limited tone of Alien; you'd be a fool to believe that. I don't know if you've been keeping track of this movie or not, but it's meant to be a departure from just a standard 'Alien movie'.

Can't wait until the movie comes out.  ::)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 29, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
I have no problem with Weyland being an egomaniacal jerkass. I do have a problem with an actor failing miserably at it. It's not the character that's the problem, it's the performance: I don't see how anyone who appreciates good acting could take what Pearce was doing at all seriously. I mean, he even fails miserably with the English accent, and that's just for starters.

For a character that was born in Mumbai, and most likely a lives a somewhat transatlantic lifestyle, rediculous criticism.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 12:27:05 PM
For a character that was born in Mumbai, and most likely a lives a somewhat transatlantic lifestyle, rediculous criticism.
The character clearly prides himself on being an Englishman, hence the TS Lawrence namedrop. It's just a bad accent. It's forced, his natural Aussie comes through and steamrolls things left and right, like when Nicole Kidman tries to do any kind of accent--but she manages to pass it off. He doesn't.

But whatever. Clearly I'm in the minority on this.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Project Number something something is correct. Pearce chewed that scenery in the right amount... just hammy enough to be really fun to watch. ;)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: CyberDemon13 on Feb 28, 2012, 09:53:53 PM
Quote from: CyberDemon13 on Feb 28, 2012, 09:49:47 PM
Quote from: Glaive on Feb 28, 2012, 09:46:55 PM
Is it just me, or is he using John Hurt's voice inflections?

YES!!! :o
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2012, 09:50:41 PM
Less John Hurt, more Hugo Weaving, methinks.

YES!!! :o

I'm much reminded about the fact he played King Edward VIII in The Kings Speech, so I think there's a bit of Eddie Fox in the mix (Edward Fox played  King Edward VIII in "Edward and Mrs Simpson") with his clipped pronunciations especially when he says "put it out" and a number of other phrases and it might be dressed with John Hurts gravelly tones. I suppose Guy gets more Mid-Atlantic though during the course of the speech, maybe I start to think about Tom Skerrit's impression of an English accent on the Alien Quadrilogy commentary.  It makes me want to take a look at Sam Neil doing one of his speeches in The Omen 3: The Final Conflict

Here's a clip with Eddie Fox in the series EDWARD AND MRS SIMPSON http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9c1Sp19e7s#

I think also this mid-Atlantic wavering is excusable. I'm English myself, hardly have been out of the country but because so much media today being American, its had an affect on me and yesterday a girl from California that I briefly talked to wanted to know which part of America I was from. So I find it excusable in 2023 for whenever the speech is supposed to be

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:31:12 PM
Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 12:27:05 PM
The character clearly prides himself on being an Englishman, hence the TS Lawrence namedrop. It's just a bad accent. It's forced, his natural Aussie comes through and steamrolls things left and right, like when Nicole Kidman tries to do any kind of accent--but she manages to pass it off. He doesn't.

But whatever. Clearly I'm in the minority on this.

I'm Australian and I didn't hear the steamroller smashing things  ;D
And again you miss my point, maybe his accent isn't purely British? A ts Lawrence quote and a knighthood might give it a British sway tho.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 12:35:21 PM
I'm Australian and I didn't hear the steamroller smashing things  ;D
I'd make a "You got dead ears mate" Russell Crowe joke, but apparently he's a Kiwi and not an Aussie. Who knew :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed