ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 154,374 times)

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 14, 2016, 07:09:54 PM
I'm a few chapters in, but I already have two things to bitch about: this novel explicitly states that the Narcissus only has one cryotube and the crew of the Marion somehow were able to board it without disturbing the harpoon gun that got stuck in the airlock door at the end of the original film.

I want answers!  I want the truth!

Yes. That harpoon gun issue has stuck with me too.

HuDaFuK

River of Pain later relocated the gun to a desk inside the shuttle when the guys find it in Aliens to try and justify the first book lol.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2016, 11:23:40 AM
River of Pain later relocated the gun to a desk inside the shuttle when the guys find it in Aliens to try and justify the first book lol.

WaDuFuK?  Who's fact-checking these novels??

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2016, 11:23:40 AM

Only started reading that this week and yep, first thing I noticed ;-)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 15, 2016, 05:38:41 PMWaDuFuK?  Who's fact-checking these novels??

Very much doubt it was a fact-checking issue. More likely a deliberate alteration to facilitate the story. It's not like the gun is ever seen especially clearly in the film, it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 16, 2016, 04:13:24 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 15, 2016, 05:38:41 PMWaDuFuK?  Who's fact-checking these novels??

Very much doubt it was a fact-checking issue. More likely a deliberate alteration to facilitate the story. It's not like the gun is ever seen especially clearly in the film, it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing.

That's even worse, IMO.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 16, 2016, 06:43:47 PM

That's even worse, IMO.
Why?

SM

SM

It's a silly continuity mistake that doesn't actually have any real effect on the overall story.

The Alien Predator

Exactly.

The Derelict pilot room is also very different in River of Pain compared to how we saw it in Alien. And that had no effect on the overall story for me.

Spoiler
The eggs are in the same room with the Jockey, surrounding the chair I think. Rather than being underneath it through that hole Kane went.
[close]

SM

SM

That mistake is harder to forgive than a piece of minutiae like the harpoon gun - but again, yeah, doesn't have an effect on the story overall.

The Alien Predator

Yeah, I just pretended they
Spoiler
went down the hole Kane style and found the eggs down below. XD
[close]

Mr. Clemens

The missing second hypersleep pod on the Narcissus, on the other hand, bungles things up a fair bit.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 16, 2016, 11:37:28 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 16, 2016, 06:43:47 PM

That's even worse, IMO.

Why?

Because it's deliberate.  Like Fincher choosing to change the cryotubes in Alien 3.

I place a high value on visual continuity.  Whether it has an effect on the overall story isn't the only yardstick by which I measure its importance.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Oct 17, 2016, 12:54:54 AM
Exactly.

The Derelict pilot room is also very different in River of Pain compared to how we saw it in Alien. And that had no effect on the overall story for me.

Spoiler
The eggs are in the same room with the Jockey, surrounding the chair I think. Rather than being underneath it through that hole Kane went.
[close]

Jesus Horatio Christ...

SM

SM

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 17, 2016, 04:37:24 PM
The missing second hypersleep pod on the Narcissus, on the other hand, bungles things up a fair bit.

Not really in the washup.  There was still way too many people for the shuttle initially.
Spoiler
And in the end Hoop had to manually launch the shuttle anyway.  It wasn't like one more person could've been saved if they'd included the extra hypersleep pod.
[close]

Local Trouble

I don't recall the book explicitly telling us that the crew of the Marion entered the Narcissus via the main airlock door.  Perhaps there's a hatch on the top or bottom of the shuttle through which they gained entry instead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed