Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 960,440 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 05, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 05, 2019, 12:03:34 PM
The problem with Evil Within mythos is that it doesn't even start to make sense storywise until you play the DLC for the first game.

First game is weaker imo, despite people rating it higher and had a much higher difficulty.  2nd game flows better and had a more sensical story.

TEW are over the top as well BUT it makes much more sense because you are essentially in the horror Matrix.

There have always been moments, but RE4 to me just started feeling way different with what Leon could and couldn't do and then only got worse from there until 7.

Umbrella should just stop wasting time and start cloning Leon and Chris.
The Evil Within made me rage. It felt so badly made and janky, with so many cheap deaths. I finished it out of spite, but I never bought the DLC and I didn't buy the sequel.

The first Evil Within got much better for me after you find the nurse and get the crosbow.  It felt like it became infinitely easier from that point on.  It definately had its problems, and it felt too slow for me personally, but there was more that i liked than didn't like.  I liked the boss designs, especially bone laura, as every encounter with her felt super tense.  Liked the Keeper as well (except for the battle where there were two of them I did rage there).  I'm also a sucker for games where the character's mindspace is invaded like the FEAR series, Senua's Sacrifice, Control etc so this is naturally going to get a higher rating than not.  There were some awesome bits that took advantage of this, like when your in your mind palace, and you notice the portrait has changed, so you zoom in on the portrait, only to find out that you can't stop zooming and your focusing on the gaping hole where Laura's face used to be and all of a sudden your at the start of a new level whether you wanted to be there or not.  That was cool.  To this day I don't know of a start of a level that has ever been triggered by something like that.  At least not that I can remember. 

That said the DLC is the start of the polishing process for the series as both the gameplay and story started to make more sense.  You have a much better focus on what you are trying to do, the gameplay is tough but not impossible, and the primary enemy boss in the Juli based DLC is both creepy, dangerous, and satisfying to finally kill.  As the Keeper in his DLC it was nice to just run around a brutalize everything. 

The sequel has all the strengths of the DLC and a higher production value.  The game looks much more polished and feels a little smoother, even though I think the controls are kind of a throw back to the old RE and Silent Hill era tank controls.  It is a halfway open world game where you can miss a whole repeating boss section by not exploring.  And its a great boss that is creepy as f**k that shows up multiple times throughout the game that you can miss and never know it. 

I remember always freaking out whenever she appeared having read before that I could've avoided her by not looting so much. 

I think it underperformed so there might not be a third, but I enjoyed both of them.  My only complaint is that character standard features should not have to be grinded to achieve.  So things like Sebastian being a police officer and only being able to sprint 25 yards shouldnt even be a thing.  The dude should have decent physical standards and should be able to run like a quarter of a mile at least without getting tired.  That kind of thing bugs the shit out of me.  I haven't run the Army 2 mile run since I've been out but maybe six or seven times but I guarantee my lazy ass could smoke a zombie in a foot race. 

Might replay them soon.   

I'm playing Control right now.  Again, this is my kind of game and I'm loving it so far. 

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 05, 2019, 10:39:55 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Nov 05, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
The Evil Within made me rage.

Like the asteroid part from Dead Space?
Never finished DS. I started it ages ago and I don't think I ever got to that part. I have all the games, so I'll probably do a marathon of them at some point.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I liked the first two but the series lost me on the third. 

The Old One

The Old One

Play Extraction, I prefer it over 2 and 3.

molasar

molasar

Death Stranding

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 07, 2019, 11:55:19 AM

I liked Extraction pretty well.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 07, 2019, 07:48:02 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 07, 2019, 11:55:19 AM

I liked Extraction pretty well.
I enjoyed Extraction. It played to the Wii's strengths.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Death Stranding.

AKA KOJIMA UNLEASHED

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I've never played any of his games.  What am I missing?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

There's some excellent storytelling in the Metal Gear games.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Waiting on Amazon to ship out Death Stranding, so I'm messing around with MK11 and some PS3 game while I wait.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 09, 2019, 05:43:24 AM
I've never played any of his games.  What am I missing?

The first MGS game was one of my favorite games of all time.  I'm talking the original PS one, and not the gamecube remake.  From there they become even more absurd, and at first I didnt care for it.  Kind of like how one can accept a certain level of absurdity in RE games past Code Veronica before it gets to be too much. 

HOWEVER, in every game there is still moments of epic gameplay and storytelling that will make you feel the feels (like the final The Boss fight in Snakeeater) where you are just like damn son.  This almost obliterates all the foolishness before.

I think MGS and Snakeeater are the apex of his games, but I've enjoyed all the ones I've played, even the mostly unfinished with duplicating missions MGSV.

Still I don't know if its good or bad that his top game for me was the first game of his that I played in MGS.  But I played the absolute shit out of it. 

I haven't gotten too far into deathstranding, but is it weird to say that the closest vibe from another story I'm getting is Neon Genesis Evangelion?  No fighting robots (I haven't even gotten in any combat yet) but the need to connect with others to open up a closed society (or individual) along with all the spiritual visual storytelling and color tone is drawing me back to that old anime.  Might just be in the early going though. 

Huggs

Huggs

Snake Eater and Guns of the Patriots should be required playing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I played the original Metal Gear for the NES.  Does that count?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

My understanding is that the NES version was drastically changed, and for the worst.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed