Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 84,976 times)

Vermillion

The $65m is still very optimistic

$55m is probably the top domestic

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 24, 2018, 01:40:11 PM

Most definitely not, Predators made $63m adjusted for inflation 8 years ago, aside from the AvP-trauma that still surrounded the release back then, this movie has a lot more buzz going for it, Shane Black, the bigger Predator (which actually gets very good responses on social media), good actors etc.

Plus the marketing for this movie is very good so far, you got the fan-app, life-size bust at theaters, gigantic banners hanging from buildings. All things that were absent when Predators came out.

No way is this making less cash.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jul 24, 2018, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 24, 2018, 01:40:11 PM

Most definitely not, Predators made $63m adjusted for inflation 8 years ago, aside from the AvP-trauma that still surrounded the release back then, this movie has a lot more buzz going for it, Shane Black, the bigger Predator (which actually gets very good responses on social media), good actors etc.

Plus the marketing for this movie is very good so far, you got the fan-app, life-size bust at theaters, gigantic banners hanging from buildings. All things that were absent when Predators came out.

No way is this making less cash.

Totally true, i actually heard of Predators pretty much when it came out, not before.

Vermillion

Heard of Solo. 

Reshoots. Fans. Good actors. Tons of money on promotions. 

Careful what you want to believe. 

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 24, 2018, 03:09:27 PM
Heard of Solo. 

Reshoots. Fans. Good actors. Tons of money on promotions. 

Careful what you want to believe.
For every Solo, there is a Mad Max Fury Road, yes, the one with the clusterf**k production that went on to make a shitload of money and became an incredible movie.

Not careful in the least.

Corporal Hicks

There's also that other little movie called Predator that got shutdown half-way through filming.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 24, 2018, 04:17:48 PM
There's also that other little movie called Predator that got shutdown half-way through filming.

Predator was not a huge success on it's initial run though. As they point out in the BTS, it gained it's real traction later on.

SiL

It was financially successful. It didn't break records, but it didn't flop.

Wysps

So I guess financially, for it's opening it just broke even then.  I don't know much about the benefits a large opening can have on the longterm financial success of a film.  A poor opening doesn't necessarily equate to a death sentence for a film, right?  Someone else pointed out Fury Road...

BigDaddyJohn

Talking about Fury Road, i just spotted Thomas Jane's Fury Road shirt at Comic Con. Damn this guy has good taste !

Vermillion

Fury road was $150m production budget. 
Advertising budget? Was it hyped as much as solo or gigli?
Max Pulled down $375m worldwide.

OpenMaw

Mad Max had some really solid advertising, regardless of whether they spent lots of money on it or not, the trailer alone got people talking.

whiterabbit

The Predator community needs a win. 90-100 million opening weekend. I guarantee.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 24, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 24, 2018, 04:17:48 PM

Predator was not a huge success on it's initial run though. As they point out in the BTS, it gained it's real traction later on.
Ummm... no. Number 12 highest grossing movie of the year, right above movies like RoboCop, The Running Man, Full Metal Jacket, Wall Street etc., and adding international it's in the top ten.

98 million on an 18 million budget... that's a hit, and Arnold highest grossing movie at the time, by a long shot.

You don't make a sequel 2 years later to a movie that you lost money on. Now Predator 2... that's a different story.

Nathsp

Hope It become a succes because its a good movie, if the movie is bad i deserves nothing.
I dont think it will become a super hit, the plot is bizarre, a hybrid cgi predator, it sounds like shit, many people will pass...
A movie with only a pred with arny would had many more chances to become a succes

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed