Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 186,936 times)

Jacku

The Alien/Predator films won't be affected by this surely. There's what like 8 major film studios who can afford the rights? Whoever has the films will just give them 'safe' scripts with summer blockbuster plots and explosive CG third acts. I wish studios would treat franchise films with some more confidence.
Off topic but I wonder what an Alfonso Cuaron directed Alien movie might be like.

SM

IF Disney buys the Fox movie assets then yes Alien and Predator will be affected.

Alionic

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 09, 2017, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 08, 2017, 04:29:24 AM
The bad word of mouth was because of fans mad that it isn't Aliens.

No. Not even remotely so.

Quote from: judge death on Dec 08, 2017, 06:50:31 PM
Yep, saw angry joe and some other youtubers who said they are fans and yet they only talked about they wanted a aliens movie with marines and action and the whole black goo and davids experimental copy of the xeno was then mistaken as david created the original xenomorphs and then ranted on how the queen fits in etc, while myself who reads the novels and everything had no such issues. But yes: most so called fans only wants Aliens part 2.

That isn't what Angry Joe said at all. His primary complaint was that it completely torpedoed the mystery of the Alien and made it, essentially, a non-Alien science experiment. His complaints against the film had nothing to do with it not being another Aliens. In point of fact he said it felt like the movie couldn't make up it's mind on which side of the fence it wanted to be.

So no. You guys can stop trying to pin the success or failure on this supposed swarm of fans who hated A:C because it wasn't "Aliens 2." There is no such beast. You're talking about a very small minority of the fan base, and the fan base AS A WHOLE still isn't an effective number of people to hold to having that kind of effectiveness against the box office. No movie is made "for the fans." They're made to be consumed by millions of people who may never have even seen a film before.

lol

He literally opened his review by wearing a space marine costume with a pulse rifle from ALIENS. It's clear he wanted ALIENS 2, bud. If that doesn't show the bias, I don't know what does.

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 09, 2017, 09:31:04 PM
So no. You guys can stop trying to pin the success or failure on this supposed swarm of fans who hated A:C because it wasn't "Aliens 2." There is no such beast. You're talking about a very small minority of the fan base, and the fan base AS A WHOLE still isn't an effective number of people to hold to having that kind of effectiveness against the box office. No movie is made "for the fans." They're made to be consumed by millions of people who may never have even seen a film before.

I felt the same way, too, even for franchises like Star Trek and even Mad Max. That is, most of the audience is from different countries, and likely young, such that they barely know about the earlier movies. That's probably why the recent films for this and other franchises are generally alike: more than two hours long, lots of spectacle and action (plus reliance on A-listers if possible) to make the movie look expensive and thus worth watching on the big screen (both in the theater and at home) as well as to justify high ticket prices, lots of content and cardboard cutout characters to make the stories understandable across various cultures, and borrowing from earlier films (clearly seen in A:C, Mad Max: Fury Road, and even the first new Star Wars movie) and focusing heavily on prequels, sequels, reboots, and remakes to speed up development time, etc.

However, it's possible that at some point the industry may implode due to high risks coupled with over-saturation.

426Buddy

Im a little worried about what this could mean for neca and darkhorse.  :-\

Still Collating...

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 10, 2017, 05:01:04 AM
Im a little worried about what this could mean for neca and darkhorse.  :-\

Haven't thought about that. Yeah, that concerns me more then the movies to be honest.  :'( The movies are few and far in between. But the comics and especially the figures come in regular intervals. Please Disney, don't touch neca's and darkhorse's licence.

Whos_Nick

Alien and Predator comics to Marvel

Scorpio

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 10, 2017, 01:16:20 AM

lol

He literally opened his review by wearing a space marine costume with a pulse rifle from ALIENS. It's clear he wanted ALIENS 2, bud. If that doesn't show the bias, I don't know what does.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

lol

Corporal Hicks

QuoteThe Twentieth Century Fox television studio would be kept busy producing shows for Disney-owned streaming services, as well as for other outlets, people with knowledge of the deal talks said.

But it isn't clear how Disney would integrate the Fox movie studio, which is ranked fourth at the domestic box office this year, with hits including "Logan" and "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" and disappointments such as "Alien: Covenant" and "Snatched."

Some people close to the deal talks said Twentieth Century Fox could become a production label within the Walt Disney Studios, akin to Pixar and Marvel. In that scenario, Fox operations such as theatrical and home-video distribution would likely be cut back, resulting in job losses among the studio's approximately 3,200 employees.

Fox under Disney would likely make fewer movies, further reducing the number of releases from traditional Hollywood studios at a time when Netflix and Amazon are aggressively expanding their film output, primarily for their streaming platforms, these people said. The six major studios released 139 films last year compared with 189 in 2007, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-deal-for-fox-would-end-era-of-the-big-six-studios-1512907201

RidgeTop

Looks like Comcast has decided against acquiring any of Fox's assets, that makes Disney the single potential buyer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/11/comcast-drops-bid-for-fox-assets-leaving-disney-as-sole-suitor.html

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 11, 2017, 02:07:23 PM
QuoteThe Twentieth Century Fox television studio would be kept busy producing shows for Disney-owned streaming services, as well as for other outlets, people with knowledge of the deal talks said.

But it isn't clear how Disney would integrate the Fox movie studio, which is ranked fourth at the domestic box office this year, with hits including "Logan" and "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" and disappointments such as "Alien: Covenant" and "Snatched."

Some people close to the deal talks said Twentieth Century Fox could become a production label within the Walt Disney Studios, akin to Pixar and Marvel. In that scenario, Fox operations such as theatrical and home-video distribution would likely be cut back, resulting in job losses among the studio's approximately 3,200 employees.

Fox under Disney would likely make fewer movies, further reducing the number of releases from traditional Hollywood studios at a time when Netflix and Amazon are aggressively expanding their film output, primarily for their streaming platforms, these people said. The six major studios released 139 films last year compared with 189 in 2007, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-deal-for-fox-would-end-era-of-the-big-six-studios-1512907201

The landscape of video entertainment is really changing. Less and less people are willing to go out to the movies unless it's a widely anticipated release. Streaming services and shows dominate today's entertainment. Who knows, perhaps the next iteration we see of these franchises will be part of such streaming services.

It sucks as I've always been a movie aficionado, and I do think movies themselves will see more releasing online rather than in theaters. But the less big companies we have funding films, the less likely we'll see bold creative visions with any sizable budgets behind them.

I think the ideal scenario (other than this deal just not being approved by the government for being too big of a merger, which is unlikely under the Trump Administration) is having Fox operate independently under Disney as a more adult-oriented production company similar to Touchstone Pictures. If the Fox label is dissolved, it might be possible that the Alien, Predator, and AVP franchises move to Touchstone itself.

SM

The bigger returns are always going to be in cinema releases.

Richman678

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-11/fox-deal-is-said-coming-within-days-giving-murdoch-disney-stake

I saw the same thing Comcast is out. I think we should start getting ready for this to happen.

Whos_Nick

Perfect-Organism

Newt is going to become a Disney Princess..  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/12/fox-disney-on-glide-path-for-thursday-deal-announcement-sources.html

Quote21st Century Fox and Disney are on a "glide path" for a Thursday deal announcement, sources familiar with the deal said.

Via Samus007.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed