Laptop problem

Started by AtR, Jan 20, 2007, 10:47:54 PM

Author
Laptop problem (Read 6,316 times)

AtR

AtR

I've got a laptop. It's specs are 3.4GHz, 2GB of RAM, ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600. Thing is, it tends to shut down it self when ever I'm playing(mostly happens when I'm hosting a server and am playing on it, in most cases it dies during a level change). 2GB should handle a 6 year old game with a server running(I noticed it often crashes on custom level change). Video Card is weak, I know, but It can not be a reason for the laptop to just shut itself off. Any of you tech gurus could help me out?

Dachande

Dachande

Im not a tech guru, and this might seem really obvious, but have you tried updating all your drivers and stuff? I've heard that works occasionally :P

AtR

AtR

*stupid face* Um, where could I find the drivers again? o.O

Dachande

Dachande

>__>

<__<

Dunno, i was just repeating what i hear the most... :P

AtR

AtR

:(

Cabal

Cabal

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

You should be able to get the radeon driver ^.

I don't think that would be a reason for your laptop to shutdown unprompted, but it'd worth a try of course.

You're probably better off checking out the manufacturers site forum, where customers often discuss their product related problems, than checking here.

VenomX

VenomX

Just thought I'd add a thought here, it might be obvious and sorry if it's offensive to even think in this direction, but could it be the battery?

Even if the battery doesn't technically "run out", maybe there's some glitch that makes the laptop assume it still has and shuts down, if there's a big drain on it while you're running the server? This kind of stuff has happened to me with my laptop before.

Have you tried running it plugged into a wall socket instead of on battery mode while doing this?

Wolfy

Wolfy

Quote from: AtR on Jan 20, 2007, 10:47:54 PM
I've got a laptop. It's specs are 3.4GHz, 2GB of RAM, ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600. Thing is, it tends to shut down it self when ever I'm playing(mostly happens when I'm hosting a server and am playing on it, in most cases it dies during a level change). 2GB should handle a 6 year old game with a server running(I noticed it often crashes on custom level change). Video Card is weak, I know, but It can not be a reason for the laptop to just shut itself off. Any of you tech gurus could help me out?

Im not a tech guru but even I can help you with fixing this.

First eject the AvP2 disc, then you need to get a hammer (bigger the better), and smash the goddam laptop into as many pieces as you can.  Take a trip to the local "PC" store and buy the most expensive.

HEY PRESTO! :)

AtR

AtR

Started playing other games as well and noticed the same problem. I'm not running my laptop on a battery, it is connected to a support platform which then is connected to a socket, so the power is being used from socket, not battery.

Avpvet2006

Avpvet2006

OK i got an HP it is excellent Thank you black friday anyways. The only time it shuts down is due to battery cause i dont plug it in. Hmm that doesnt seem right for it to crash do you have any other instances running when you have the server up?

AtR

AtR

It's not only AvP related, it basicaly shuts down when I open other things. It also freezes sometimes.  If I run few things, its ok. If I open someting else during those little few things, It shuts down. Or it's plain random. : (

wolfboy

wolfboy

You probably have a conflict somewhere with one of your installed programs if it's shutting down randomly. I know I got the BSOD when Symantec was installed. I uninstalled it and the blue screen's stopped.

Another reason is not enough RAM...but you got 2gb so that can't be the case.

AtR

AtR

Any way to find the conflicting piece of **** ? o.O

Avpvet2006

Avpvet2006

try not to run so many things

suzukix

suzukix

ATR, check this for me. Next time it locks up or shuts down place your hand on the keyboard area. Does it feel extremely hot? Hotter then usual? The problem could be thermal.

Do the programs that lock up have any traits in common?

Another thing to check would be your event logs. Any sudden reboot will be logged with an error report and information that might contain a file name..

PM me if you have any questions or need any help.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed