Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,291 times)

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Alien (1979) Laserdisc (ripped to PC) - Rare 70mm print AC-3 audio version released in 1995.

The audio track on this laserdisc has never been released anywhere else and was mastered from an audio mix made for test screenings and doesn't contain all of the final score, music cue errors, sound FX, etc. This audio mix was made for MCA's 'Surrensound' system a competitor to Dolby Stereo.  The audio on this laserdisc was released my mistake.  I've been after a copy of this laserdisc for years now but have been reluctant to spend a lot of money on a laserdisc player.  Someone online was very kind enough to rip it for me as well and synced the audio to the Blu-ray release. Listening to this version with headphones after playing with the sound equalizer on VLC player sounds AMAZING!!!  :o

Some of the dialogue differences I noticed off the top of my head:

When Dallas first enters MU-TH-UR his "Morning mother" line is different.  I don't even think it's Tom Skerrett's voice.

Kane's "Roll 92 degrees port yaw" and "Come on down here. Something different down here" lines are absent.

And Ash's "Kane's son" line is also missing.  It sounds like he says the line very quietly under his breath.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Nobody

Awesome. Jimmy can kick ass.  8)

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Been in a Chucky mood lately, so I rewatched the original Child's Play (1988). Chucky has always been one of my favorites.

This film still holds up really well! Has a great premise, is well paced, and has some impressive special effects for the time it came out.

Tension is built up extremely well, and when it gets to that reveal, where you see his voice come out of the doll as it starts moving and making facial expressions, it still has a sense of shock and terror to it. The combination of many of the practical effects, with Dourif's voice as the soul of a killer possessing it makes for some great horror moments. Brad Dourif's voice performance is amazing, and a major key to making Chucky as iconic and scary as he is.

My only major gripe with the film is that I feel that the opening scene, showing Charles Lee Ray putting his soul into the Good Guy doll, feels really unnecessary. It seems like my first time (and most of the subsequent times) I watched this, I somehow missed this opening scene altogether. Without that scene, it felt like the film was trying to build a mystery around what's going on with the doll. I knew something bad is going on with it, but I didn't know exactly what. Which helped add to the tension and horror that the film builds. The story felt more compelling as I learned about what happened, and about Chucky, as the characters did. When I finally saw the opening scene many years later, it kinda felt like they let the cat out of the bag in the beginning. Without that scene, you still learn pretty much everything you need to know from it later in the film. And it has more impact because it feels like a development in a unraveling horror mystery. At least in my opinion.

So I truly feel that watching the film without that beginning scene is the best way to watch it. Or at least maybe some kind of alternate cut that adds it in as a flashback later in the film. Maybe at the point where the cop tells Karen about what happened in the toy store.

Anyway, I love this film, and it's still an extremely solid horror/slasher film, and established a horror icon that deserves as much love and respect as his peers.

I've been meaning to rewatch the films I've seen, as well as check out Curse and Cult for the first time, so that I can finally check out the tv series that I've heard so many good things about!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Clue

"Please, there are ladies present."  :laugh:

Blonde (2022)

I definitely understand a lot of the divisive reactions to this, but for my part I found it a gut wrenching yet ultimately powerful and moving experience.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Annihilation

Love it, a movie that surpasses the book (even if the book is damn good in its own right).

Prez

Prez

Prince of Egypt with the family. Forgot how well made this animated film was - also what an all star cast for voice actors - Picard, Iceman, Voldemort, Cat Woman and more!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 04, 2022, 11:08:03 PMAlien (1979) Laserdisc (ripped to PC) - Rare 70mm print AC-3 audio version released in 1995.

The audio track on this laserdisc has never been released anywhere else and was mastered from an audio mix made for test screenings and doesn't contain all of the final score, music cue errors, sound FX, etc. This audio mix was made for MCA's 'Surrensound' system a competitor to Dolby Stereo.  The audio on this laserdisc was released my mistake.  I've been after a copy of this laserdisc for years now but have been reluctant to spend a lot of money on a laserdisc player.  Someone online was very kind enough to rip it for me as well and synced the audio to the Blu-ray release. Listening to this version with headphones after playing with the sound equalizer on VLC player sounds AMAZING!!!  :o

Some of the dialogue differences I noticed off the top of my head:

When Dallas first enters MU-TH-UR his "Morning mother" line is different.  I don't even think it's Tom Skerrett's voice.

Kane's "Roll 92 degrees port yaw" and "Come on down here. Something different down here" lines are absent.

And Ash's "Kane's son" line is also missing.  It sounds like he says the line very quietly under his breath.

So this is different to the production audio track on the 20th Anniversary DVD?

... do you have a copy of just the audio?

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SiL on Oct 08, 2022, 12:16:54 AMSo this is different to the production audio track on the 20th Anniversary DVD?

... do you have a copy of just the audio?

Hi @SiL there are some differences yes.  I can't tell you all of them off the top of my head. A musical cue error I can remember is just before the Nostromo is about to disengage from the refinery. After Dallas's "Give me an AC pressure reading" line there is a very noticeable jump cut in the music score and is clearly not right.  This happens a couple of times during that scene and while on the planet's descent Kane's "Roll 92 degrees port yaw" line missing and Ripley's "Prime to port" line is much quieter.  And I'm sure after the opening credits there are some slight differences in music and sound effects from when we first see the Nostromo.

I listened to Dallas's 'Morning mother" line again.  It is Tom Skerrets voice it's just an alternate take of the line.  The key being removed is missing its sound effect.  I will have to listen with headphones one day and list the differences.

It's after 2:30 AM here so I will rip the audio somehow for you after I've had some sleep...if I can sleep that is...and upload it for you  :) I have a rip of the Laserdisc as well as an MKV file from the blu-ray with the Lasderdisc audio synced to it.  I'll rip the audio from the MKV file as the Laserdisc rip is in two parts due to the film being on two sides.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Ghostbusters.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Hellraiser (2022)

Holy crap, a good Hellraiser movie. It's been way too long.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Coming to America

Hellraiser

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Hellraiser: Bloodline

The Green Inferno

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Hellraiser (2022)

Utter sh*ite and very predictable.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 08, 2022, 07:06:39 AMHellraiser (2022)

Holy crap, a good Hellraiser movie. It's been way too long.
Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 08, 2022, 06:35:17 PMHellraiser (2022)

Utter sh*ite and very predictable.
Well then

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Interesting because I trust both of you equally...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 08, 2022, 09:04:05 PMInteresting because I trust both of you equally...

So not at all?  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed