Preview Event Coverage - Extermination Mode & Gameplay Videos

Started by ikarop, Dec 11, 2012, 02:12:24 PM

Author
Preview Event Coverage - Extermination Mode & Gameplay Videos (Read 39,200 times)

PFC Hudson

Quote from: Capitalist on Dec 12, 2012, 04:37:23 PM
I don't remember, from Alien or Aliens, the xenos ever moving as fast as they did in AVP99.
They were agile, sure, but when marines fell, it was because xenos snuck up on them.  IIRC, not one marine was "run down" in the film.

From Aliens, compare the first encounter in the hive to the second encounter in medlab.  Marines were wiped out because they were already surrounded and repeatedly getting snuck up on (see Dietrich and Apone).  I understand they didn't really have ammo, but they still fell to surprise attacks.  Fast forward to medlab (a more open area) where 3 marines were holding a horde until Hudson was grabbed (again, snuck up on). 

Xenos don't stand a chance in an open hallway and I think the film illustrated both that and their tendency to be stealthy (even newt was snuck up on).  Of course, as the movie went on, the xenos tried attacking in sheer numbers (but I suspect this was to build suspense) and the xeno death count steadily increased.

My point is, if the game follows the movie, i don't expect the xenos to be fast enough to overrun a group of marines simply by rushing at them (and IIRC there were a couple posts a while ago voicing concerns that xenos would just run at you instead of trying to sneak up).  The SP campaign shows the marine weapons are too powerful for the xenos to simply run at you.  I think this is accurate.  Xenos will need to rely on stealth and surprise instead of sheer speed (which, in my opinion, is being true to the films).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's a section of the campaign where the tracker is absolutely essential, otherwise you will be snuck up on and killed/taken.

Good point. Here's to hoping there's a good mix of sneak attacks and frontal assaults from the Aliens.

Predaker

I'm not worried at this point as the game isn't even out yet. The campaign demo is anecdotal evidence at best, cherry picked and designed for previewers to "preview" the game without constantly dying on the hardest difficulty setting.

Give the game a chance to speak for itself, they deserve that at least. :)

PsyKore

I don't remember, from Alien or Aliens, the xenos ever moving as fast as they did in AVP99.
They were agile, sure, but when marines fell, it was because xenos snuck up on them.  IIRC, not one marine was "run down" in the film.

From Aliens, compare the first encounter in the hive to the second encounter in medlab.  Marines were wiped out because they were already surrounded and repeatedly getting snuck up on (see Dietrich and Apone).  I understand they didn't really have ammo, but they still fell to surprise attacks.  Fast forward to medlab (a more open area) where 3 marines were holding a horde until Hudson was grabbed (again, snuck up on). 

Xenos don't stand a chance in an open hallway and I think the film illustrated both that and their tendency to be stealthy (even newt was snuck up on).  Of course, as the movie went on, the xenos tried attacking in sheer numbers (but I suspect this was to build suspense) and the xeno death count steadily increased.

My point is, if the game follows the movie, i don't expect the xenos to be fast enough to overrun a group of marines simply by rushing at them (and IIRC there were a couple posts a while ago voicing concerns that xenos would just run at you instead of trying to sneak up).  The SP campaign shows the marine weapons are too powerful for the xenos to simply run at you.  I think this is accurate.  Xenos will need to rely on stealth and surprise instead of sheer speed (which, in my opinion, is being true to the films).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's a section of the campaign where the tracker is absolutely essential, otherwise you will be snuck up on and killed/taken.

This is true. And it's also why I think there should have been more concentration put on the AI and their dynamics rather than creating other boring L4D alien variants. The SP mode could also benefit from being less of a boring military shooter style game. I don't think it can solely be discounted as just a demo either; the basic foundation and the AI involved of the SP mode is there and it doesn't look appealing to me at all, I'm sorry to say.

Predaker

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 13, 2012, 04:00:33 AM

This is true. And it's also why I think there should have been more concentration put on the AI and their dynamics rather than creating other boring L4D alien variants. The SP mode could also benefit from being less of a boring military shooter style game. I don't think it can solely be discounted as just a demo either; the basic foundation and the AI involved of the SP mode is there and it doesn't look appealing to me at all, I'm sorry to say.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/aliens-colonial-marines-preview-sweet-torture-for-the-senses/

"The set up is strong, and developer Gearbox Software's pedigree in games about shooting stuff is equally brawny, but when Digital Trends last spent time with Aliens: Colonial Marines, we came away concerned. It looked like Aliens and sounded like Aliens—right down to early game set pieces yanked right out of the movie with weapons like the pulse rifle firing off perfectly muted shots—but something didn't feel right. The aliens themselves, so vicious in the movies that only one could decimate entire ship crews and prison colonies, didn't seem very threatening. The action looked slow during Gearbox's guided demo.

As is so often the case with video games, playing is a whole lot different than watching.

Sitting down with Gearbox for a twenty-minute session of Colonial Marines, those first impressions washed away. The game doesn't just look and sound like Aliens. It feels like Aliens.

In the previous demo, the aliens were right in the open, just waltzing up to the person playing and waiting to be shot. When I played, though, they were fast and hard to follow, even after tapping the left bumper on an Xbox controller to use a motion tracker to nail their position. (The motion tracker adds great tension since you can't fire while it's out.) I knew the vicinity of where the aliens were, but there were times when I'd turn and only see a spiked tail darting away on the ceiling. And these were just the basic scrub enemies."

acrediblesource

You've  obviously hadn't read anything about the SP. As you  would know there  is a significant amount of STUFF in there, you certainly didn't see in the new video. But you're smart. You'll read other posts.

PsyKore

I'll disregard you here, acrediblesource.

Quote from: Predaker on Dec 13, 2012, 04:33:31 AM

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/aliens-colonial-marines-preview-sweet-torture-for-the-senses/

"The set up is strong, and developer Gearbox Software's pedigree in games about shooting stuff is equally brawny, but when Digital Trends last spent time with Aliens: Colonial Marines, we came away concerned. It looked like Aliens and sounded like Aliens—right down to early game set pieces yanked right out of the movie with weapons like the pulse rifle firing off perfectly muted shots—but something didn't feel right. The aliens themselves, so vicious in the movies that only one could decimate entire ship crews and prison colonies, didn't seem very threatening. The action looked slow during Gearbox's guided demo.

As is so often the case with video games, playing is a whole lot different than watching.

Sitting down with Gearbox for a twenty-minute session of Colonial Marines, those first impressions washed away. The game doesn't just look and sound like Aliens. It feels like Aliens.

In the previous demo, the aliens were right in the open, just waltzing up to the person playing and waiting to be shot. When I played, though, they were fast and hard to follow, even after tapping the left bumper on an Xbox controller to use a motion tracker to nail their position. (The motion tracker adds great tension since you can't fire while it's out.) I knew the vicinity of where the aliens were, but there were times when I'd turn and only see a spiked tail darting away on the ceiling. And these were just the basic scrub enemies."

That does sound good, so thanks for sharing that. I hope this is more of what to expect.

I've only been going by what I see in videos and its gameplay didn't strike me as very fun. Not just AI, but more with the military shooter style that the game seems to follow. But the fact that the final game will be my final impression should go without saying; these are only my impressions as of now. So we'll see. But as it stands the game's SP mode is not that appealing to me, but knowing there may be more lethal aliens, if that quote above isn't just over-enthusiastic, does offer me more hope.

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Predaker on Dec 13, 2012, 04:33:31 AM

acrediblesource

I have to say right now, that if the campain video is an older version of what is to come, then this game will totally rules the game industry. Because i just noticed how awesome the iron sight movement is as perspective goes as it motions left to right, and if the latest version looks even more better than this video in  terms of textures, lighting, etc, then we have the ultimate baddass Alien video game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a high five here.

WinterActual

Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 15, 2012, 05:00:32 AM
I have to say right now, that if the campain video is an older version of what is to come, then this game will totally rules the game industry.

Stringer2355

Stringer2355

Judging by the new Campaign video,things have changed since the E3 2011 video(Randy Pitchford talks over). It's the same section of game

- How they reach "Operations"
- Different characters "Bella", "Bishop" ,"O'neal" were not in the E3 2011 video
- Placing Sensors
- You setup the Sentry Turret at "Operations", instead of the "Maintenance Hangar"
- "Winter" does not get pounced on by a Alien, and fall out of the building
- Reveal of the Crusher
- Queen Alien attacking you

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: Stringer2355 on Dec 15, 2012, 09:47:07 PM
Judging by the new Campaign video,things have changed since the E3 2011 video(Randy Pitchford talks over). It's the same section of game

- How they reach "Operations"
- Different characters "Bella", "Bishop" ,"O'neal" were not in the E3 2011 video
- Placing Sensors
- You setup the Sentry Turret at "Operations", instead of the "Maintenance Hangar"
- "Winter" does not get pounced on by a Alien, and fall out of the building
- Reveal of the Crusher
- Queen Alien attacking you

UNLESS UNLESS UNLESS, there is a dynamic game scenario where you choose to do things in different sections depending on if the aliens are alerted first or midway or last. or something. That would be cool. So say for instance, you trigger something in the room once you enter and you must quickly deploy sentries. Or you can get in that same room without making a sound or touching something, and you secure the entire room (get what you need) without alerting aliens accept after the last door is weld.

Wouldnt that be even awesomerner? Say there is a strategy when you enter a room. (which i read somewhere is the case)   Randy did say "sophisticated Artificial intellgience" and all that wallop. I hope we get some in depth analysis of this AI soon. Blow our freakin minds once again.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s#ws

It has a HUD and the classic blue dots on the motion tracker. The pulse rifle also sounds like the one I know. What's up with this? I thought the game was HUDless.

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Dec 16, 2012, 12:35:46 AM

It has a HUD and the classic blue dots on the motion tracker. The pulse rifle also sounds like the one I know. What's up with this? I thought the game was HUDless.
no hud is an option

Private W Hudson

Is there a gameplay video that doesnt have commentary, cause i'd like to hear the sound and everything as they keep saying the sound is amazing in this game according to the reviews :P

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Dec 16, 2012, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Dec 16, 2012, 12:35:46 AM

no hud is an option

Ooooooooooo, that makes sense.

Quote from: Private W Hudson on Dec 16, 2012, 03:26:04 AM
Is there a gameplay video that doesnt have commentary, cause i'd like to hear the sound and everything as they keep saying the sound is amazing in this game according to the reviews :P

My long lost brother. Had I known you had this user name I would not have made mine. My bad. LOL.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed