"original" predator concept art? (spoiler?)

Started by ArielAleXCo, Mar 15, 2010, 03:02:27 PM

Author
"original" predator concept art? (spoiler?) (Read 22,882 times)

Highland

Quote from: Dark Passenger on Mar 25, 2010, 04:59:43 AM
QuoteI like to compare Stan to the head archaeologist on a dig. He'll take the credit for the find, but ultimately it was a bunch of students that found it.

sure he oversees over some projects but he says specifically he draws and designs the predator himself.

and if youre so sure that your correct.

proof please?

I just did- twice. I'm not asking you to believe me, but i'm telling you there were other guys involved. Robert short and Alan Munro i think was the other.

AncientPred

i'm pretty sure the cameron connection was common knowledge for years now.

The Mercenary

Winstone drew the designs for the Pred, it was his people at Winstone Studio's who came up with turning a drawing into a 1:1 scale working model.

ridetofight

ridetofight

Quote from: Highland on Mar 25, 2010, 05:43:41 AM
QuoteI like to compare Stan to the head archaeologist on a dig. He'll take the credit for the find, but ultimately it was a bunch of students that found it.

sure he oversees over some projects but he says specifically he draws and designs the predator himself.

proof please?

I just did- twice. I'm not asking you to believe me, but i'm telling you there were other guys involved. Robert short and Alan Munro i think was the other.

i've never heard of those guys before... this is just going off what i gathered from the sws hardcover - stan designed the creature, steve wang probably had the most secondary involvement, designing the mechanical parts, and the armor, i think, howard berger in an unspecified capacity, shane mahan (as always), and richard landon, amongst eight other people. no, stand windstone did not create the predator single-handedly. he brought together the talent that built it, he guided them through every step, NOTHING was approved for final production or construction without his guiding hand, experience, know-how, and expert critiques. the guy knew everything and facilitated a very talented team creating a movie icon. he is the composer, they're the musicians - both can't operate without the other. but, in the end, its the composer's music and direction that the musicians use their instruments to produce. the predator is stan winston's creation, period. but to say they were "never heard from again" is absurdly laughable. run some of the above names through imdb - they've worked on more movies, tv, and commercials than years you've been alive. richard landon and shane mahan are creature design gods. winston was very well known for retaining the top talent in special effects for years longer than other studios because of how well he treated his team and the collaborative spirit he had. he didn't get respect from them because he sat behind a desk and said "fantastic!" or "shit-balls!", he was neck-deep in the process the entire time. man, some of you guys need to do some research before you speak on a subject.

p.s. - the initial idea for the predator's "tribal" design and dreadlocks came from a piece of art depicting a rasta warrior hanging in the producer joel silver's office. no telling if stan saw it himself, or if someone else gave him the idea to check it out.

Highland

Quote from: ridetofight on Mar 26, 2010, 08:05:31 PM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 25, 2010, 05:43:41 AM

proof please?

i've never heard of those guys before... this is just going off what i gathered from the sws hardcover - stan designed the creature, steve wang probably had the most secondary involvement, designing the mechanical parts, and the armor, i think, howard berger in an unspecified capacity, shane mahan (as always), and richard landon, amongst eight other people. no, stand windstone did not create the predator single-handedly. he brought together the talent that built it, he guided them through every step, NOTHING was approved for final production or construction without his guiding hand, experience, know-how, and expert critiques. the guy knew everything and facilitated a very talented team creating a movie icon. he is the composer, they're the musicians - both can't operate without the other. but, in the end, its the composer's music and direction that the musicians use their instruments to produce. the predator is stan winston's creation, period. but to say they were "never heard from again" is absurdly laughable. run some of the above names through imdb - they've worked on more movies, tv, and commercials than years you've been alive. richard landon and shane mahan are creature design gods. winston was very well known for retaining the top talent in special effects for years longer than other studios because of how well he treated his team and the collaborative spirit he had. he didn't get respect from them because he sat behind a desk and said "fantastic!" or "shit-balls!", he was neck-deep in the process the entire time. man, some of you guys need to do some research before you speak on a subject.

p.s. - the initial idea for the predator's "tribal" design and dreadlocks came from a piece of art depicting a rasta warrior hanging in the producer joel silver's office. no telling if stan saw it himself, or if someone else gave him the idea to check it out.

Let me just get a few things straight for those without the ability to read entire threads. My point was Stan Winston was the head guy, the guy who takes the credit at the top, but he was part of a team that included guys who worked on the creature probably more than he did. (my never again comment was in respect to these boards and probably a bit exaggerated.)

Did anyone even check out the Robert Short link? probably not, to busy telling me that their balls are bigger than mine. Just because you watch the 20 minute doco on the DVD doesn't make anyone an expert.

Get the original predator comic, in the back page there's an article about the guys that worked on the design, or look at that link i gave. There's a hell of material in old magazines. Unfortunately it seems all you need these days is a pair of hands, a computer and wikipedea.

ridetofight

i was countering your point by saying, yes, a lot of people worked on it, but he's the funnel through which their talent is directed. i don't have bigger balls, i just have a published book i cited, not an internet site that doesn't use spell check and has some choppy, crude jpegs up. I don't know everything, and you don't, i said everything i gathered came from this one published source.

that said, no, i'm sorry, i didn't check out the link, cus i immediately assumed you were full of shit. and i apologize, cus it doesn't appear you are. the winston effect book gives a lot more intimate information than your link, and probably more stuff than whats on wikipedia (don't care to check, again). whats strange is that both of our sources seem to take credit for solving the same problems on the same timeline... and neither party mentions the other. short was on the movie as a conceptual designer before winston. winston could have come in and said, "hey, mr. short, draw me up your take on my rastafari alien with some gladiator armor n' shit", and as a conceptual designer he sketches for a while and says "like this?" OR, just as easily, mctiernan says "this shits not workin', son. short! draw me up something, anything for christ's sake", he draws up the concept that we know and winston runs with it.

basically, neither of us have the answer - both of our sources contradict. i didn't mean to jump down your throat (well, i did, i just wasn't right about it), my bad. respect due.

Highland

Quote from: ridetofight on Mar 26, 2010, 10:16:04 PM
i was countering your point by saying, yes, a lot of people worked on it, but he's the funnel through which their talent is directed. i don't have bigger balls, i just have a published book i cited, not an internet site that doesn't use spell check and has some choppy, crude jpegs up. I don't know everything, and you don't, i said everything i gathered came from this one published source.

that said, no, i'm sorry, i didn't check out the link, cus i immediately assumed you were full of shit. and i apologize, cus it doesn't appear you are. the winston effect book gives a lot more intimate information than your link, and probably more stuff than whats on wikipedia (don't care to check, again). whats strange is that both of our sources seem to take credit for solving the same problems on the same timeline... and neither party mentions the other. short was on the movie as a conceptual designer before winston. winston could have come in and said, "hey, mr. short, draw me up your take on my rastafari alien with some gladiator armor n' shit", and as a conceptual designer he sketches for a while and says "like this?" OR, just as easily, mctiernan says "this shits not workin', son. short! draw me up something, anything for christ's sake", he draws up the concept that we know and winston runs with it.

basically, neither of us have the answer - both of our sources contradict. i didn't mean to jump down your throat (well, i did, i just wasn't right about it), my bad. respect due.

No need to apologise, i was actually preparing myself for a full on 10 year old style backlash, but you seem pretty cool, which is kinda rare! You are correct though about the conflicts, I've always tried to find that initial guy since i bought the comic way back. It was that piece that kind of opened my eyes about the whole thing.

In the comic , it's actually a guy called Alan Munro, he also takes some credit for the dreads and the maasai design. I think the easiest way to put it is that they all did a hell of a job!

ridetofight

word. have ANY idea what comic it was in, or at least which series, and possible issue range? i'd be really interested in hunting that down.

RazorSlash

Xenokiller

I like the design but as a PREDATOR? NO! NonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononoNO!

MrBrokenTusks.

It looks more like a drone rather than a leader

Thanatos

that thing looks like something i would like to get killed by pred

MrBrokenTusks.

Most definitely.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I would like to see that fighting a Predator.
Just picture that for a second. The original and the new in a fight for the throne.

Doomofman

I think it would be funny to see bits of that hanging in the hunting camp...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed