"Fans" are Embarrassing

Started by MoBiUGeArSkIn, Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM

Author
"Fans" are Embarrassing (Read 8,781 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

In the case of these things, though, the new thing you bring should be dramatic context. Altering the creature in hopes that it'll generate tension is just lazy.

Jango1201

Jango1201

New not retarted.

Highland

Highland

Some of these comments are still ignoring the fact the Predator wasn't a great series's in the first place. Predator was a great movie, but it didn't set the world on fire.

Personally I think what RR is doing is correct in terms of the future of Predator. If we like it or not doesn't really come into it.  

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2009, 06:16:12 AM
This isn't a reboot - it's a sequel.

QuoteIf its not broken don't fix it.

True, but you have to bring something new to the party otherwise it's just a rehash what's gone before. 
Then why not bring something new and good to the franchise, like Predator 2 did.

You could easily expand on whats seen before and make it look fresh and interesting, without taking a shit and a piss on the character.

wolfie138

wolfie138

"we've never seen them use something, have it fail, and then go back to the drawing board. "

er yeah, cos THAT would be one of the most exciting scenes ever..
:-|

echobbase79

echobbase79

Comparing AvPR to Jaws the Revenge makes me laugh. AvPR is bad but not that bad.

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 22, 2009, 03:16:53 PM
Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM
When I name dropped "Machiko Noguchi" people freaked out. Apparently AvP lore isn't considered Predator canon.
What can Machiko possibly have to do with the new movie?

...And what does it matter?  What's canonical, what isn't...it really doesn't matter at the end of the day unless you're a total stooge for the company line.  Otheriwse, just accept whatever parts of the franchise you want to and ignore the rest.  Or don't.

I dunno, I always find it kind of funny when one fan decries other fans for being nerds, or needing to get a life, or whatever it is you're complaining about. 

Yeah, that works for me.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM
"It's not canon!!!"

... I don't know how many of you guys frequent IMDB, but that was the first place I went after reading the new "Predators" script.

For the most part... I really like it. The ending. Well, both endings, aren't great. But I do quite like the quirky cameo ending more. I put this to the IMDB crowd and was met with complete and utter retardation.

People seem to forget that this is a reboot of a franchise that is, effectively, dead.

When I name dropped "Machiko Noguchi" people freaked out. Apparently AvP lore isn't considered Predator canon. Only the Predator movies are considered Predator canon.

So the cross over comics, the novels, the cross over novels... apparently none of this counts, and the only canon we have, in relation the Predator at least, comes from the movies.

So... that means we know f**k all about the Predator then.

Neither movie told us anything worthwhile. Nothing about their food source, nothing about their home world, class structure, weapon inspiration... I see this as something quite important considering their kit is so specific to the task in hand.

None of this is explored. If the AvP stuff doesn't count... then what else do we have?

AvP told us more. A lot more. Machiko Noguchi's character was key to a lot of what we do "know." Being accepted by the Predators, for the most part. Living with them, hunting with them. This is interesting stuff. Good fiction. Expansive fiction. It fills in the blanks. Gives future writers and filmmakers more ideas and options as to where the franchise could go.

Paul Anderson is clearly aware of Machiko Noguchi. Robert Rodriguez, and his writers, are clearly also aware.

Fans? They aren't. Or maybe they are but they're so blinkered they try to ignore it?

I read across IMDB and, to be honest, I find it almost embarrasing to share an interest with these people. When Star Trek was released in the Summer I saw less whining about the changes to that history than I'm seeing in relation to this. The Star Trek fans had what? 6 movies and a decades worth of TV being rewritten? They had something to complain about. Predator fans? 2 movies? Get a life ::)

I'm all for tanked up Predators. I'm all for new hunting techniques. I'm all for them not agreeing with each others practices and fighting over it. The franchise NEEDS a kick in the ass and this could be the film to deliver it!

Solid script. Great cast of genuine actors. All that remains to be seen... is the finished product.

Thanks for writing one of the most intelligent posts I've seen on this board so far. I gotta say I pretty much agree with you, although I don't think "tanked-up Predators" are really necessary - this franchise is practically unknown to much of the younger "summer moviegoer" generation today, so I think if we just show them how tough REGULAR Predators are, they'll be fine. That having been said? Not gonna gnash my teeth over it.

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

High five! ;D

Nice to see at least one dude here sports rose tinted specs.

There's too much negativity here.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 23, 2009, 09:53:22 PM
High five! ;D

I don't agree with that. There's a lot of positive stuff as well. And I'm referring to the whole site not just the Predators board.

SM

SM

QuoteThen why not bring something new and good to the franchise, like Predator 2 did.

Yeah, because they're actively trying to make a bad movie...

Bishop2

Bishop2

High five! ;D

I give every movie a chance. Even if the indications look terrible, I always try to stay positive. Even when everything about the concept of AVP: Requiem sounded lame, I focused on the good stuff we'd heard and seen, and yes, I expressed concerns, but I always go in hoping for the best. I don't WANT to hate anything. And yes, I really, really disliked AVP: Requiem. But hope springs eternal. Sometimes, movies pleasantly surprise you.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Nov 23, 2009, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2009, 06:16:12 AM
This isn't a reboot - it's a sequel.

QuoteIf its not broken don't fix it.

True, but you have to bring something new to the party otherwise it's just a rehash what's gone before.  
Then why not bring something new and good to the franchise, like Predator 2 did.

You could easily expand on whats seen before and make it look fresh and interesting, without taking a shit and a piss on the character.

At this point in the series' history, in the midst of all the "new additions", not doing anything new or exciting, and staying to the basics, would actually be new and exciting.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Bishop2 on Nov 23, 2009, 10:37:31 PM
High five! ;D

I give every movie a chance. Even if the indications look terrible, I always try to stay positive. Even when everything about the concept of AVP: Requiem sounded lame, I focused on the good stuff we'd heard and seen, and yes, I expressed concerns, but I always go in hoping for the best. I don't WANT to hate anything. And yes, I really, really disliked AVP: Requiem. But hope springs eternal. Sometimes, movies pleasantly surprise you.

Well said sir.

Weasel

Weasel

Quote from: echobbase79 on Nov 23, 2009, 10:05:59 PM
High five! ;D

I don't agree with that. There's a lot of positive stuff as well. And I'm referring to the whole site not just the Predators board.

Ah-ha whatever. It's positive if you don't disagree about anything in the Alien franchise, or even the Predator. Dispute something about Aliens, or even liking an AVP movie and people jump all over you. It's an extremely hostile environment filled with blind fanboys that are always on their periods.

SM

SM

^ Case in point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed