Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 26, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Author
Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5 (Read 62,991 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:52:09 AM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:48:37 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:46:37 AM
I don't think they're decanonizing anything, they're most likely just forming different timelines.

Its kinda the same thing really, except by saying its an "alternate timeline" they can avoid angering some fans of A3/A:R.  I'm happy with it either way as long as we can continue from ALIENS.   I'm going to decide on my own "personal canon" no matter what anyway.

I think that only applies if people want it to apply that way; I'm a MAJOR supporter of canon and continuity, but I don't see the possibility of a diverging timeline as a threat to my view of it.

Are you kidding me? You're the most anti-canon/continuity person around these boards... ???

Local Trouble

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:53 AM
Are you kidding me? You're the most anti-canon/continuity person around these boards... ???

What about Xenomrph?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:53 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:52:09 AM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:48:37 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:46:37 AM
I don't think they're decanonizing anything, they're most likely just forming different timelines.

Its kinda the same thing really, except by saying its an "alternate timeline" they can avoid angering some fans of A3/A:R.  I'm happy with it either way as long as we can continue from ALIENS.   I'm going to decide on my own "personal canon" no matter what anyway.

I think that only applies if people want it to apply that way; I'm a MAJOR supporter of canon and continuity, but I don't see the possibility of a diverging timeline as a threat to my view of it.

I acknowledge EU is a GIANT mess, but I personally don't think fan opinion alone is enough to quash it.  I have also expressed disdain for Prometheus, but only to point out it's as messed up as the AVP films.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 27, 2015, 03:02:35 AM
What about Xenomrph?

I am surprised he hasn't shown up here.

predxeno

predxeno

Is that guy still active?  Last I met him, he seemed to be keeping a low profile.

Local Trouble

SM and Xenomrph have disappeared?  Coincidence?

Magegg

Magegg

What about Ruadh?

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 27, 2015, 03:07:03 AM
SM and Xenomrph have disappeared?  Coincidence?
Spoiler
[close]

TheSulaco426

From what I can tell when Blomkamp says hes not trying to undo Alien 3 and Resurrection, I believe he is speaking in terms of he doesn't dislike the sequels, just that he can't fit in a story of the original Ripley in any other way.  I think this still confirms that the third and fourth film will be reconnected and he doesn't want fans of the sequels to feel cheated.  I honestly can't see how they would make a film between Aliens and Alien 3 especially with an aged Ripley or have her alive after the third film.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TheSulaco426 on Feb 27, 2015, 04:20:51 AM
From what I can tell when Blomkamp says hes not trying to undo Alien 3 and Resurrection, I believe he is speaking in terms of he doesn't dislike the sequels, just that he can't fit in a story of the original Ripley in any other way.  I think this still confirms that the third and fourth film will be reconnected and he doesn't want fans of the sequels to feel cheated.  I honestly can't see how they would make a film between Aliens and Alien 3 especially with an aged Ripley or have her alive after the third film.

T-H-I-S.

SpreadEagleBeagle

...which is lazy, cheap and unimaginative.

Vrastal

Vrastal

I dont know what to think anymore

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 04:50:48 AM

Or more creatively freeing, if someone wants to tell a story without the restrictions that come with the later films. More room for the imagination to play around in without having to stop every five seconds to clunkily explain away something from a film that otherwise wouldn't be relevant to the story this one is telling.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 27, 2015, 04:55:28 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 04:50:48 AM

Or more creatively freeing, if someone wants to tell a story without the restrictions that come with the later films. More room for the imagination to play around in without having to stop every five seconds to clunkily explain away something from a film that otherwise wouldn't be relevant to the story this one is telling.

Why even make a franchise movie sequel at all then? Why even bother? Ego tripping? Grudge? Money?

Make it an original title like PROM if you want to go the "what-if?" route.

And btw restrictions are necessary in order to breed creativity. No restrictions and you end up with mindless wanking or floaty bits without meaning. The restrictions can be anything really, but no matter what you always need something that leads, frames and pushes back through your creative process. When making a franchise movie acknowledging what has been established in previous films are definitely restrictions one should adhere to unless one is too lazy, cheap and unimaginative... Butchering or circumventing established continuity because you can't come up with a valid story is far from being creative.

Doktor Wunderbar

Because there are still stories to be told in this universe.  Telling those stories in the form of an original title would approach the threshold of plagiarism, because they would require elements fairly specific to the Alien universe.

And it can be argued that walking back the last few movies is actually embracing those restrictions and ditching "mindless wanking" and "floaty bits without meaning."  The first two films gave us a universe that was fairly coherent.  The next few gave us a universe where space monks contemplate God in a near-abandoned prison, xenomorph eggs magically spawn out of nowhere, and clones have the memories of their originals.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed