Concerning the fanbase...

Started by RakaiThwei, Mar 26, 2007, 03:34:07 AM

Author
Concerning the fanbase... (Read 6,807 times)

Extroheal

Extroheal

I think RakaiThwei and Dark Magician are referring to their own personal canon and not Fox's canon. Who cares what Fox thinks anyway.

Vader the White

Vader the White

How true. FOX are morons who really want a quick buck.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

I agree with you guys, about FOX! (All they want is money.) But on the canon part: how would it be if everyone would just consider their own "personal canon" to be the right one? It would be chaos and would contribute even more to the instability of the fanbase.

EDIT:

*looking back*

Ehh?

Extroheal

Extroheal

Hah! As if the the fanbase and the internet as a whole isn't pure chaos already! Sharing different opinions is the reason why forums like this exist. I'm not sure what you mean by "instability". We're not going to blow up.

SM

SM

It's not a metter of considering one's own personal canon as "correct".  It simply means that in any given discussion all sorts of differing opinions need to be taken into account.  In most cases it's not an issue because most people disregard stuff beyond the films anyway = at least for the purposes of discussion.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Quote from: Extroheal on Mar 29, 2007, 10:42:34 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "instability". We're not going to blow up.

I never did say the fanbase is so unstable it's gonna "blow up". I said it would be chaotic and unstable if everyone would have their "own canon".

SM

SM

A lot of people do though and it's not chaotic.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Now that I think about it, not considering the AVP movie to be canon can also be considered "personal canon".
Depends on how you define "chaos" and "chaotic", and what you're reffering to as being chaotic. I wasn't referring to arguments being chaotic, but the difference of personal canons that could cause a "canonical chaos".

EDIT:

*at myself*

lulz...

Extroheal

Extroheal

Quote from: Dekapitator on Mar 31, 2007, 09:20:10 AM
could cause a "canonical chaos".
LOL!

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Heh, well, didn't exactly know how to say that, but I (guess) you get the point.
PS. English ain't my first.

EDIT:

Excuses excuses.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

When I mean instability I mean that we're not as unified as some other fandoms now-- like the Star Trek geeks and the Star Wars geeks, y'know? I mean it would be nice if we were unified like those fandoms there--- and we'd make a neat name for ourselves but I personally feel that the fandom is at war with itself and well... that kind of bothers me a little.

I mean it's not fair that Star Wars and Trek get all the attention.  :'(

-Rakai'Thwei

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

I like Star Wars, but I like the Alien and Predator franchises A LOT more. I hate Star Trek. (no offense to fans)
I don't know how it is with the Star Wars fanbase, as I haven't been on any of their forums. But back a while ago I used to play Jedi Academy Multiplayer, and I have to tell you some of the fans are total asses over there. They got pissed off when I defeated them and said stuff like f#ckin noob. *Shame on them for being defeated by a "f#ckin noob". :P** Or maybe it's just that those people hate Darth Maul. (I use Maul skins, he rules.)

Other than the canon disputes, there's also the "Aliens vs. Predator" conflict our fanbase has. eg. "Aliens rule Preds suck" There are @$$holes like that from both sides (Alien and Predator). There's also the age problem, I noticed that the Predator franchise seems to have more teens claiming to be fans. ("Alienz sux cuz Preditors kewl and can beet t3h bugz.")
I rarely saw immature Alien fans, but I have seen some grownup Alien fans that are really harsh with the Predator fans.

How's that essay going?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I haven't started on it because of real life issues-- but I do know what I want to put down. I'll try to remain as neutral as possible with this essay.

And regaurding Alien and Predator fans-- I will say this...

Fans of opposing sides should not DATE each other... because like AvP, the relationship will get violent... I know from first hand experience.

-Rakai'Thwei

Extroheal

Extroheal

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 31, 2007, 03:37:35 PM
When I mean instability I mean that we're not as unified as some other fandoms now-- like the Star Trek geeks and the Star Wars geeks, y'know?
I've seen a Personal Canon thread on a Star Trek forum and there was a lot of diversity in opinion. However, most of the personal canons involved excluding movies and episodes that people didn't like rather than including books and games. However, it's true that Paramount has a much better defined official canon for Star Trek than Fox has for AVP. One strange thing is that Star Trek fans are fanatical about the proper definition of the word canon (something officially given that status by an authority) so if you use the term 'personal canon' on a Star Trek forum you get blasted for using such a stupid oxymoron. They prefer the term 'personal continuity'.

Quote from: Dekapitator on Mar 31, 2007, 04:29:46 PM
Other than the canon disputes, there's also the "Aliens vs. Predator" conflict our fanbase has. eg. "Aliens rule Preds suck" There are @$$holes like that from both sides (Alien and Predator). There's also the age problem, I noticed that the Predator franchise seems to have more teens claiming to be fans. ("Alienz sux cuz Preditors kewl and can beet t3h bugz.")
I rarely saw immature Alien fans, but I have seen some grownup Alien fans that are really harsh with the Predator fans.
Hey, I'm 19 years old and I've never written like that. >:( The people who write like that are the sort who spend too much time on chat programs and assume that that sort of language is acceptable on forums too.

Quote from: Dekapitator on Mar 31, 2007, 02:33:59 PM
Heh, well, didn't exactly know how to say that, but I (guess) you get the point.
Actually I still don't understand your concept of chaos and instability and how that's any different from what we've got now.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Quote from: Extroheal on Mar 31, 2007, 11:41:44 PM
Hey, I'm 19 years old and I've never written like that. >:( The people who write like that are the sort who spend too much time on chat programs and assume that that sort of language is acceptable on forums too.

And I'm 18. I never declared all teens to be like that. My point was not mostly the language as mutch as the attitude they have, and how many of them are just kids who "got into" AvP because of the movie.

Actually I still don't understand your concept of chaos and instability and how that's any different from what we've got now.

It's like:
Member #1: "Predators can change sexes."
Member #2: "No they can't."
Member #3: "They probably can though I'm not so sure."
Member #4: "I only consider the movies canon, so no, Predators can not change sexes."
Member #5: "I agree, they cannot, but not all the movies are canon, AVP isn't."
Member #6: "I believe AVP is canon and Yautjas CAN change sexes."
Member #7: "None of you are correct."
Member #8: "I don't really know what to consider canon and what not to.."
Member #9: "Just consider what you like as canon."
Member #10: "No, that would be chaotic, and way too contradictory."

Get it? Too many different opinions, chaotic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed